• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Problems with the Problem of Evil

Yep. I think Yahweh was meant to be dreaded and tiptoed around, like puppies should act around Governor Noem. It confused me as a kid to hear the expression 'God-fearing', but later, when I read the OT, that confusion cleared up.
The Omnibenevolent Fear of Isaac.

Isaac, was destined to be the line thru which Abraham would have decendants as numerous as grains of sand on the seashore.
What would he be afraid of?

Omnibenevolence is a Xian fan-fiction attribute, a relatively new one.

Omnibenevolence means different things to different people.

Evil as an arch enemy super villain, aka Satan, to a god is the Christian bogeyman.

They do glorious battle in the name of a god, and are fulfilled by it.

• Angry
Reactions: SLD
Yep. I think Yahweh was meant to be dreaded and tiptoed around, like puppies should act around Governor Noem. It confused me as a kid to hear the expression 'God-fearing', but later, when I read the OT, that confusion cleared up.
The Omnibenevolent Fear of Isaac.

Isaac, was destined to be the line thru which Abraham would have decendants as numerous as grains of sand on the seashore.
You'll need to raise that one with the author(s) of Genesis 31 where they reference god as The Fear of Isaac. That was the whole point in my jest.
Omnibenevolence is a Xian fan-fiction attribute, a relatively new one.
Omnibenevolence means different things to different people.
That's great, but the trouble is, omnibenevolence is a Xian fan-fiction attribute, a relatively new one.

Parents Sentenced in Abuse Case
(UPI) Seattle parents James and Marie Casey were sentenced yesterday in an abuse case that drew national attention. The Caseys claimed that their religious convictions led them to build an altar in their house and enact a human sacrifice with their 12-year-old son.
According to court documents, James forced the boy to carry timber into their basement and nail together a crude altar. He then held the boy down over the structure and told him that God demanded that he be killed. Casey held a razor to the boy's throat until Marie intoned, "You have passed the test," at which point the boy was released.
Child protection authorities were tipped off to the abuse and took custody of the boy, who has since been given over to a guardian aunt.
At sentencing, Washington state authorities described the psychological trauma suffered by the boy. A court-appointed psychologist testified that the damage is severe and will take years to overcome.
Judge Damon Warnes told the couple, "You have given up your parental rights through your cruel treatment of your own child. In the guise of religion, you have been cruel and abusive beyond the power of ordinary language to convey. I wish I could sentence you to a longer term, but the eight to ten years I can impose may give you some time to assess your responsibility for your actions and the hurt you inflicted on your boy. Your contention that no physical harm was done is completely irrelevant to the brutality of your actions. Religious convictions are no excuse at all, and the fanaticism you have displayed is both undeniable and repellent."

Okay, I made the whole story up, but I like what I have the judge say.

I know some Muslims who would disagree with that.
Jus sayin'
Tom

Ishmael wasn't sacrificed either.
Nobody was sacrificed, in that story.
But Ishmael was Abraham's first born. Then Abraham tried to kill him.
There's many more Muslims than Jews.
Isaac was kind of a dufous, he mistook Jacob for Esau.

Muhammad's version of the story makes more sense.
Tom

I know some Muslims who would disagree with that.
Jus sayin'
Tom

Ishmael wasn't sacrificed either.
Nobody was sacrificed, in that story.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

But Ishmael was Abraham's first born. Then Abraham tried to kill him.

Not according to the bible.
God also told Abraham that Ishmael would father further generations. (That's a blessing.)

There's many more Muslims than Jews.

Nope. Theres more Christians (an offshoot of Judaism) than muslims.

Tricked. Deliberately tricked.

Muhammad's version of the story makes more sense.
Tom

To you maybe.

Tricked. Deliberately tricked.
That's okay. Omnibenevolent God was okay with it and allowed it to pass and rearranged the birthrights, as well, as a result.

The interesting thing about Isaac is there is virtually nothing about him. A lot about Abraham and Jacob/Israel, but Isaac is almost a passing thought in Genesis.

Back
Top Bottom