• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Columbia University is colluding with the far-right in its attack on students

That's always the answer, isn't it? Don't like a school policy? Find another school. Don't like your pay or working conditions? Find another job. Ironic coming from a guy who regularly complains about the neighborhood he lives it. Maybe it's not so easy to just leave your school, work, home. Maybe we all have our particular circumstances that preclude us from bopping around the country looking for nirvana.
It's easy for them; They aren't really people, they're just extras.

Obviously it would be hugely disruptive and impractical for us. We are real people, with complex and intricate lives. But they are just background. They can just find another school that better suits their single agendum.

Balancing priorities is hard; It must be so much easier for them, they only ever have one issue to consider, being unidimensional as they are. Lucky bastards.

If you do not like the policy pf a school leave and go someplace else.
That's always the answer, isn't it? Don't like a school policy? Find another school. Don't like your pay or working conditions? Find another job. Ironic coming from a guy who regularly complains about the neighborhood he lives it. Maybe it's not so easy to just leave your school, work, home. Maybe we all have our particular circumstances that preclude us from bopping around the country looking for nirvana.
Also, doing so is not an instantaneous, cost-free action, contrary to what some people seem to think. It may also not be possible to find the perfect school, the perfect employer, etc.

Also, these loud yellers of "Love it or leave it!" don't seem to do that themselves. Why might that be?

It's easy for them; They aren't really people, they're just extras.

Obviously it would be hugely disruptive and impractical for us. We are real people, with complex and intricate lives. But they are just background. They can just find another school that better suits their single agendum.

Balancing priorities is hard; It must be so much easier for them, they only ever have one issue to consider, being unidimensional as they are. Lucky bastards.
That is such a strawman! Steve did not claim it was easy. Whether it's easy is irrelevant. When a customer who doesn't like the service he bought reacts by trying to force all the other customers not to get the service they paid for too, telling that customer to take his business elsewhere does not treat him as not a real person. It treats him as what he is: a real person who is a real selfish jerk, a real person who really ought to leave. You know who's really treating "them" as extras? It's the real people tearing down the photos of "them" that were put up by "their" supporters after "they" were kidnapped by vicious thugs.

I've worked on the faculty in all three colleges, so I suppose that on strike is where I would be today, if I were still there. There was no possibility for online classes back in 1970, when I was still at Ohio State, although we did meet at the homes of some of the professors for graduate seminars, during our campus disturbances. Campus unrest was over by the time I was hired to work at Columbia.

Before I was hired by the Columbia Corporation, we had a similar situation at Ohio State University, where occupation by the Ohio National Guard on campus got very intense after the Kent State shootings. I was a graduate teaching assistant in 1970 when the faculty went on strike. It was literally impossible to conduct teaching in classrooms at that time, so the faculty voted to strike, as well. in the Spring of 1970. I remember going into the classroom and writing "On Strike" on the blackboard, as the class was called off. After that, things got so bad on campus that they were forced to call off classes and shut down the university, much to the dismay of the administration and the governor (who had illegally declared martial law, although everyone thought he had the authority at the time).

I would still maintain that campus unrest back then was far more serious and disruptive than it is now. Polarization in the general population was also worse. My roommate had a brother attending Ohio State at the time. He told me that his conservative father felt that they should have shot more students, even though his son liked to wear the same buckskin jacket that one of the slain students was wearing. I had another friend who left for Canada rather than be drafted, and his father called the FBI to have his son arrested. (Of course, that wasn't going to happen before he had actually done anything to evade the draft.) When I went onto campus during occupation by the National Guard troops, we had to show ID and were forbidden to congregate in groups of more than 3 people. The right to free speech was suspended, as were other civil rights. Months later, a court determined that the governor did not have the right to declare martial law, so "never mind".

I've worked on the faculty in all three colleges, so I suppose that on strike is where I would be today, if I were still there. There was no possibility for online classes back in 1970, when I was still at Ohio State, although we did meet at the homes of some of the professors for graduate seminars, during our campus disturbances. Campus unrest was over by the time I was hired to work at Columbia.

Before I was hired by the Columbia Corporation, we had a similar situation at Ohio State University, where occupation by the Ohio National Guard on campus got very intense after the Kent State shootings. I was a graduate teaching assistant in 1970 when the faculty went on strike. It was literally impossible to conduct teaching in classrooms at that time, so the faculty voted to strike, as well. in the Spring of 1970. I remember going into the classroom and writing "On Strike" on the blackboard, as the class was called off. After that, things got so bad on campus that they were forced to call off classes and shut down the university, much to the dismay of the administration and the governor (who had illegally declared martial law, although everyone thought he had the authority at the time).

I would still maintain that campus unrest back then was far more serious and disruptive than it is now. Polarization in the general population was also worse. My roommate had a brother attending Ohio State at the time. He told me that his conservative father felt that they should have shot more students, even though his son liked to wear the same buckskin jacket that one of the slain students was wearing. I had another friend who left for Canada rather than be drafted, and his father called the FBI to have his son arrested. (Of course, that wasn't going to happen before he had actually done anything to evade the draft.) When I went onto campus during occupation by the National Guard troops, we had to show ID and were forbidden to congregate in groups of more than 3 people. The right to free speech was suspended, as were other civil rights. Months later, a court determined that the governor did not have the right to declare martial law, so "never mind".

That information is appreciated.

My impression and I could be wrong: Vietnam protesting also included opposition to a draft and a broad cultural movement (including music). Again, I could be totally wrong, but I predict that continued US involvement, especially if we get sucked into this on the ground, would transform into a more broadly defined opposition, making the current college protests look quite small in comparison.

Regarding some professors, some of which we've already read, but not all:
Dozens of professors among those arrested in campus protests

(CNN) As police cracked down on anti-war protests on college campuses across the US in recent weeks, among those arrested were a pair of silver-haired 65-year-old professors armed only with their cell phones.

Annelise Orleck was knocked to the ground and restrained with plastic handcuffs at a protest at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. She later complained of whiplash.

Steve Tamari was tackled by officers and taken into custody at a demonstration at Washington University in St. Louis, an attack he said resulted in multiple broken ribs and a broken hand.

Each had been filming the protests in the moments before they were arrested. Both Orleck, who is Jewish, and Tamari, who is Palestinian American, said they were motivated to attend in part by a desire to support student protesters exercising their right to free speech.

Their stories illustrate a facet of the student-led protests that has received comparatively little attention: The role professors have played in the demonstrations, and the response by their administrations and police.

Orleck and Tamari are among at least 50 professors arrested at campus protests across the country...

Johns Hopkins University

My impression and I could be wrong: Vietnam protesting also included opposition to a draft and a broad cultural movement (including music). Again, I could be totally wrong, but I predict that continued US involvement, especially if we get sucked into this on the ground, would transform into a more broadly defined opposition, making the current college protests look quite small in comparison.

I doubt that the current protests will get much worse or approach what we saw in the 1960s and 1970s. The draft was a huge factor, because people were being sent involuntarily to fight in a war that everyone knew we could not win. They allowed the news media to film caskets and body bags being offloaded from ships, which they stopped doing for later wars, and that was something that caught people's attention. It wasn't about what was happening to people in some other country far away. It was about us. Even the National Guard troops on campuses were full of draft dodgers--young men who volunteered in the belief that they would not be sent to Vietnam. Some were deployed to support combat and a few lives lost anyway, but it was rare. Dan Quayle and GW Bush were famous draft dodgers in that sense, because their political connections protected them from the draft as members of the National Guard. The official name for that kind of draft dodging was called "channeling" by the Selective Service System. They set up deferments to populate certain occupations considered of value to the government, like agriculture, defense industry, and the priesthood or other religious ministries. Catholic seminaries had to turn people away. Getting into the National Guard became extremely difficult, so having wealth or political connections helped. Donald Trump had magical bone spurs to keep him safe.

Back
Top Bottom