• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Evil Twins

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
It's something of a Sci-Fi cliché, mostly because the means of duplication are more varied in fantasy and science fiction, although more main-stream dramas and comedies have also used an Evil Twin theme. Anything from a casual looks-just-like-him through clones to alternate versions of us from another dimension.

But whatever the mechanism, there is a certain formulaic predictability to the Evil Twin story. From a writer's point of view, an Evil Twin episode is terribly easy to plot out. You need a mechanism by which a character is copied, a means by which the other characters figure it out and fix it, and a confrontation. As time allows, the duplication can be used as either a concerted attack on the characters or their organization, or just a series of errors of identification and assumptions.

The mechanism depends on the limitations of the genre. The confrontation is either of two standards. Good versus evil while Security tries to decide who to shoot. Or Real and Copy show up together by accident, probably ruining an attempt to pass one off as the other, and everyone is confused until Security decides to shoot them both.
So, since it is so common, and so predictable, I expect resistance to my idea about Evil Twin episodes.

It is the single greatest theme in Science Fiction.
Yes, I know, I just pointed out what clichés they are. But bear with me. I'm talking theme, not plot.

Science Fiction is at its most powerful when it is used to examine the human condition. To look at our society, at ourselves, from the special perspectives that the platform offers.

"Fraser" tended to look at the pompous of society from the point of view of the middle class. The character of Fraser was constantly charged with defending the superiority, or at least the preference, of his eclectic decor over the armchair of his father. Or French cuisine over steak and potatoes.

With a Sci-Fi show, one can explore more basic parts of human existence. "Never mind eclecticism, why decorate your cave with pictures of trees? Why not live where trees are?"

We can know ourselves better by the chance to step outside of ourselves. And an intelligent cloud's view of humanity is fairly far outside. Or at least it should be. A lot of 'SF' aliens are like Greek Deities - humans writ large or only slightly skewed. Still, they allow us to concentrate on an aspect of human nature. The cultures Gulliver traveled through in Swift's novel are great examples. Gulliver goes from being an observer, commenting on the parody of Swift's view of English society, to being the insider, defending his society to the views of critics.

So to me, the crux of the Evil Twin episode is that the replacement will always be discovered. Some characteristic of the replacement keys the co-workers or family to the fact. In some cases, it's just not a very good copy. In a Stargate episode, Jack was copied, but the clone was not the right age. By a matter of decades.
In other examples, smaller physical changes reveal the ruse, such as missing scars, an ability to look directly at the sun, big fangs, being bulletproof or having silvery fluid for blood. These are rather indisputable, once they're noticed.

For my money, the best indicators are personal character traits or habits, things that aren't apparent to a casual acquaintance, but only to close friends. Things like holes in memory, use of racist remarks, competence in the use of alien technology, kissing wrong, attempting to seduce subordinates, singing drinking songs on the mess decks, using contractions and other subtle clues that build up suspicion.

This is one of the strongest uses of the theme. Not just questioning 'what is humanity' but 'what is ME?' What makes ME unique, even if surrounded by clones? How can I prove myself to be more real than the copy?
If the answer is 'I don't have metal parts' that's cheesy.
If the answer is 'because only I can connect on an emotional level with my soul mate,' that's romantically cheesy, but at least it's a step above checking for batteries.
The best answer is 'because only I am really human, only I am obviously ME.'

Coincidentally, I watched Star Trek: Nemesis again today. It involves a clone of Picard that the Romulans had made. The story also included Data once again finding his own head somewhere in the universe, only this time it wasn't actually his own head but a prototype that came before Data. It wasn't evil, but was used by the evil clone of Picard in his nefarious plan to end the Federation.

Also coincidentally, Investigation Discovery channel is now playing a true crime show called Evil Twins.

To your OP, I never found the evil twin/clone subject very interesting. The best it offers in my mind is prompting the questions you mention about identity and humanness. Beyond that, it just seems like a kind of a crutch plot. Even though I think ST: Nemesis is the worst Star Trek movie ever, there was some fairly interesting dialog between Picard and his clone about whether conscience is really a choice when life circumstances have cultivated evil intentions.

Let's not forget the worst offender: the retcon of the Dark Phoenix story. After all the things that happened in Dark Phoenix, Marvel cheapened everything (including Jean's self sacrifice) by saying "Ha ha! Dark Phoenix was really an evil twin!" just so they could resurrect Jean.

:banghead:

I preferred the Farscape arc where John was twinned; no good twin, no evil twin; both Johns completely indistinguishable physically and mentally from the "original" John, despite each of them genuinely believing themselves to be the original. Both equally real, unique only in that since they occupy different positions in space, their experiences diverge from the moment of their creation. I don't remember if anybody ever raised the possibility that neither is "real", that the original is dead.

Then there are the stories where the teleportation device functions by disassembling you at the molecular/atomic/subatomic/whatever level and reassembling you at your destination, or to put it another way, memorizing your molecular/atomic/subatomic/whatever configuration, vaporizing you, and taking matter at the destination and using it to build an identical copy of you.

Then there are the stories where someone's consciousness is digitized and uploaded into a computer or machine.

The way I see it, these stories have more relevance to "What is ME?".

In a world full of doubt, mistrust, and disconnect, it is comforting to know I'm me. To be absolutely sure each and every conscious moment that it is me inside of me. Even with all the evil thoughts, temptations, and trials in life, my me can fight them all off. Let my evil twin come to me. I stand no chance against me.
En garde evil me. En garde.

In a world full of doubt, mistrust, and disconnect, it is comforting to know I'm me. To be absolutely sure each and every conscious moment that it is me inside of me. Even with all the evil thoughts, temptations, and trials in life, my me can fight them all off. Let my evil twin come to me. I stand no chance against me.
En garde evil me. En garde.

I killed my good twin when we were still toddlers. Did I mention that? I'm pretty sure I mentioned that before.

I preferred the Farscape arc where John was twinned; no good twin, no evil twin; both Johns completely indistinguishable physically and mentally from the "original" John, despite each of them genuinely believing themselves to be the original.
I also thought this was the best imagining of a twins story. Star trek the next generation did a similar show with Riker. His was a transporter malfunction that left the "twin" marooned for years. So their lives had diverged much more when each discovered the other.

Back
Top Bottom