• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Recipe thread

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
This thread is for sharing recipes for the food we cook.

Spectacular failures, so others can learn, are also welcome.

I will start.

Tonight’s dinner is a goulash to be served with rice.
In a large, heavy based pot add:
1 chorizo sausage (136g)
1 ham steak (100g)
1 onion (100g)
2 hot dog Frankfurt’s (200g)
250g cherry tomatoes
1 can whole baby potatoes - drained (290g)
1 can whole champignons- drained (250g)
1 can diced tomatoes (400g)
Tomatoes paste (120g)
Red wine (50g)
Half a can of water. (I use the tomato can to get the last of the tomato out)

Cook over a low heat for a couple of hours.

Serve with rice or pasta.

This will serve 4 people around 1475kJ without the pasta or rice.

This is a repost of the recipe, but the heck with it. I made it again recently.

Angry Butterflies

angrybutterflies.jpg
I used way too much meat here, but one pound was the smallest amount of bulk Italian sausage I could buy. Next time, I should cut it in half and freeze the half I don't use. Or maybe next time I'll cook it without meat and add julienne cut prosciutto as a garnish on each plate/bowl.

I'm not originally from Chicago. When I moved here, I fell in love with Chicago-style giardiniera and was shocked to find out that Chicagoans mostly use it as an optional ingredient for one particular sandwich. It's magical is salads, pizza and pasta. You can bake into a pizza and it still has that vegetable crunch to it after it comes out of the oven, and with the serrano chile peppers, it packs a big flavor punch. You can buy it from plenty of online vendors.

This was originally developed as a low-salt recipe and to celebrate Chicago style giardiniera. The giardiniera, sun-dried tomatoes, and olives have salt in them. If you need to make a low salt version, you can eliminate the olives, and/or substitute fresh tomatoes for the sun-dried.

• Whatever kind of meat you want (optional)
  • Farfalle pasta
  • Chicago style hot giardiniera
  • Sliced sun-dried tomatoes
  • Fresh garlic
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Snow peas
  • Diced onions
  • diced celery (optional)
  • diced carrots (optional)
  • Fresh spinach (optional)
  • Sliced olives (optional)

I stir-fry the ingredients in a wok while the farfalle is cooking, mostly because I can cook an entire package of farfalle this way. Start by browning whatever meat you decide to include (if you include it).

Add onions and cook until transluscent. If including carrots and celery, add them here.

Add mushrooms and snow peas. Cook until mushrooms start to soften.

Add remaining ingredients.

By then, the farfalle should be done or close to done. Remove farfalle from the water one minute before the package directions say, add to the wok and stir fry for a minute or two.

Garnish with fresh grated Parmesan or Parmigiano Reggiano.

Recommend a fresh spinach salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil as a side (any number of the ingredients in the pasta can also be used in the salad, including a small amount of the giardiniera, fresh garlic, etc), and bread of your choice (e.g. a nice focaccia).

Best Ravioli I've ever made

Make 2 batches of pasta (as shown below is one batch):
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp oil

Ricotta Cheese Mix
1 container whole milk ricotta
1/2 to 2/3 pounds of double cream gouda
2 to 3 very finely chopped up basil leaves
Yeah, I know, I didn't say nutmeg, but I stand by that. A rare no nutmeg Italian recipe (FYI, this is my recipe).

Assemble it.

Boil in water for several minutes, but try not to leave the cover on or the ravioli will suffer major puffage and can leak.

I would say, go to a place that sells fine cheeses, if you are lucky to find a place near you, and test out the cheeses. The double cream gouda works the best for me, but others could find another flavor more tempting.

Japanese-Style Curry

curry.jpg

Simply using the word "curry" admits that a dish is a foreign (non-Indian) perversion and not at all authentic. Please don't yell at me. This particular perversion is very popular with Japanese and Japanese-Americans.

I generally use Vietnamese curry powder, but that's because that is the type of curry powder in my area that has the strongest flavor/smell.

• Cubed beef appropriate for stew
  • Diced Onion
  • Carrots cut into big chunks*
  • Sliced celery
  • Diced or sliced jalape[ent]ntilde[/ent]o peppers
  • Sliced squash
  • Sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
  • Roux (flour, vegetable oil)
  • Curry powder
  • Japanese style rice (if you can't get that, any short grain rice cooked a bit extra wet will work)
  • (optional garnish) Fresh apple cut into thin spears
  • (optional garnish) dried cranberries
  • (optional garnish) Fukujinzuke (translates to "happiness pickles")

The celery, squash, fresh chile peppers, and mushrooms are not normal for Japanese style curry. Those are modifications by me.

The onions, celery and carrots are not in typical mirepoix proportions. Half as much celery as onions, but just as much (or more) carrots as onions.

*Cutting the carrots:

https://vimeo.com/43198242
Hold the knife at a 45[ent]deg[/ent] angle and rotate the carrot by a quarter turn each chop. Cut bigger pieces than you see in the above video (if possible, buy carrots of larger diameter from an Asian grocery). The irregular cut means that hopefully parts of the carrot will be softer than other parts when you are done cooking, which provides a variety of textures from the same ingredient.

Start cooking your roux in a separate small pot.

At the same time, lightly dust the beef cubes in flour and brown in a big pot at high heat.

Add onions and celery. Cook until onions are translucent.

Somewhere around here, the roux should reach the blond stage. Add hefty amounts of curry powder and cook for a bit longer, then turn off the heat.

Add peppers, carrots, mushrooms, and squash. Cook until mushrooms start to get a bit soft.

Add water until all ingredients covered, then another inch of water. Add a bit of curry powder to the water and stew at low heat for an hour or three, stirring occasionally.

At the end, add curry-flavored roux, stir and heat until stew thickens. Taste and see if you need more curry or more heat.

Serve donburi* (over rice).

*Note: you know how you can make squid sound fancy by calling it calamari (which is just Italian for squid)? Similar thing here. You can serve stuff on top of rice and make it sound fancy by calling it "X donburi."

The only caveat is that to call it donburi, the thickness of the sauce matters. Most of it needs to stay on top of the rice, but you still want some of it to drip down into the rice and flavor it. American chili con carne is probably a perfect example. Chili donburi is just the right viscosity to get away with calling it donburi: most of it stays on top, some of it drips down and flavors the rice.

Alternate serving: serve open-faced on top of toast ([ent]agrave[/ent] la shit on a shingle):

curryontoast.jpg

2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp oil

Ricotta Cheese Mix
Yeah, I know, I didn't say nutmeg, but I stand by that. A rare no nutmeg Italian recipe (FYI, this is my recipe).

Assemble it.

Boil in water for several minutes, but try not to leave the cover on or the ravioli will suffer major puffage and can leak.

I would say, go to a place that sells fine cheeses, if you are lucky to find a place near you, and test out the cheeses. The double cream gouda works the best for me, but others could find another flavor more tempting.

Would aged gouda be too dry?

2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp oil

Ricotta Cheese Mix

Assemble it.

For me the double cream is tangy and creamy, you want the creamy for a ravioli. But to each their own.

2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp oil

Ricotta Cheese Mix

Assemble it.

For me the double cream is tangy and creamy, you want the creamy for a ravioli. But to each their own.

Do you serve it in a red sauce?

Do you serve it in a red sauce?
That is up to the chef. I wanted to do a light alfredo sauce, but I didn’t have the time. So just a jar sauce. I really need to start making my own sauce. My second cousin makes really good sauces. I think a read sauce is better for the straight up cheese ravioli.

I also made a few ravioli with scallops and bacon in them... and the sauce due to leftover scallops and bacon. This could work with the white sauce.

Back
Top Bottom