• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

15 percent of women are raped while incapacitated during their freshman year at college

Nice Squirrel

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Only the Nice Squirrel can save us.
Here is a Thanksgiving chewtoy for you MRAs out there:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-11/joso-sfh111315.php

- Some 15 percent of women are raped while incapacitated from alcohol or other drug use during their freshman year at college, according to new research.

The report, published in the Nov. issue of the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, also helps to offer a clearer idea of which college freshmen are at particular risk of what's known as 'incapacitated rape.'

Researchers found that freshmen women who'd been victims of such assaults before college were at substantial risk of being victimized again. Overall, nearly 18 percent of students said they'd been raped while incapacitated before college, and 41 percent of those young women were raped again while incapacitated during their freshman year.

The students' views on alcohol also seemed to be involved. Young women who said they believed alcohol can enhance a person's sexual experience were at increased risk of incapacitated rape during their first year of college -- regardless of whether they'd been victims in the past.

The findings are based on 483 female freshmen who completed several surveys over their first year of college. The students were from a single university in New York State, so it would be helpful, Carey said, for further studies to confirm the results at other schools as well.

I'll see if I can dig out the study.

Here is is: http://www.jsad.com/doi/full/10.15288/jsad.2015.76.829

Last edited:
http://www.jsad.com/doi/full/10.15288/jsad.2015.76.829

The study's definition of incapacitated rape (IR)

We defined IR as any of the four penetrative acts (oral sex, attempted intercourse, completed intercourse, or anal sex) that occurred because of the perpetrator tactic of victim incapacitation. Participants were considered to have experienced IR during the study year if they met these criteria at one or more assessment occasions (first semester, second semester, summer).

To translate: 15% of freshmen females have had sex while drunk.

Why is it if a girl is drunk she is 'raped' while when a guy is drunk he is the 'rapist'?

Why is it if a girl is drunk she is 'raped' while when a guy is drunk he is the 'rapist'?

I cant give any views on the study as I didn't read it. It implies that more than 15% were incapacitated but not raped. Yes if he is found guilty of rape if he is drunkn. If a drunk kills someone with a gun is he responsible (guilty).

We defined IR as any of the four penetrative acts (oral sex, attempted intercourse, completed intercourse, or anal sex) that occurred because of the perpetrator tactic of victim incapacitation. Participants were considered to have experienced IR during the study year if they met these criteria at one or more assessment occasions (first semester, second semester, summer).

I didn't see the definition of incapacited in the link. I assume it's somewhere between "They had a sip of beer" and "They were passed out drunk on the floor". How did they measure incapacitation?

- - - Updated - - -

I cant give any views on the study as I didn't read it. It implies that more than 15% were incapacitated but not raped. Yes if he is found guilty of rape if he is drunkn. If a drunk kills someone with a gun is he responsible (guilty).

So, two drunk people who have sex should both be thrown in jail?

You welcome buddy. :semi-twins: I knew you'd love this thread. Have fun.

Anyway, here is a better definition from the study:
Sexual assault refers to any unconsented sexual contact, ranging in severity from kissing and touching to intercourse (Krebs et al., 2007). Estimates suggest that one in five women will experience some form of sexual assault during her college years (Krebs et al., 2009). An extreme form of sexual assault is rape, defined as unwanted completed or attempted sexual penetration. Incapacitated rape (IR) refers to completed or attempted penetration that occurs while a victim is incapacitated because of consumption of alcohol or other drugs. Cross-sectional studies indicate that IR is more prevalent than forcible rape (i.e., involving the threat or actual use of physical force) in college samples (Krebs et al., 2009; Lawyer et al., 2010; Mohler-Kuo et al., 2004).

They are defining rape as unwanted completed or attempted penetration.

I didn't see the definition of incapacited in the link. I assume it's somewhere between "They had a sip of beer" and "They were passed out drunk on the floor". How did they measure incapacitation?

from the paper:

Alcohol use.At the baseline assessment, participants reported the number of heavy drinking episodes they had engaged in during the previous month. A heavy drinking episode was defined using a gender-specific measure of four or more drinks on one occasion, and a standard drink was defined as 12 oz. of beer, 5 oz. of wine, or a shot of distilled spirits. A dichotomous variable was created representing heavy drinking (yes/no) in the last month.

In which case US colleges would be more dangerous for women than any country in the world. I call BS on it. Not that it will stop the rape-industrial complex (like CNN who are airing their ridiculously biased "documentary" soon) from repeating it for decades to come.

from the paper:

Alcohol use.At the baseline assessment, participants reported the number of heavy drinking episodes they had engaged in during the previous month. A heavy drinking episode was defined using a gender-specific measure of four or more drinks on one occasion, and a standard drink was defined as 12 oz. of beer, 5 oz. of wine, or a shot of distilled spirits. A dichotomous variable was created representing heavy drinking (yes/no) in the last month.

No, you misunderstood. I was curious about the definition that they used for incapacited, not the separate section where they talked about the heavy drinking rates of the victims of incapacited rape. The part where the heavy drinking episodes was used in the study was:

The pattern referred to as heavy episodic drinking appears to be the most relevant risk factor for IR among college students. For women, a heavy drinking episode is defined as consuming four or more drinks within 2 hours (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 2004). Among female students graduating from high school, heavy episodic drinking was associated with experiencing IR as an adolescent: 5% of light drinkers, 21% of occasional heavy drinkers, and 36% of monthly heavy drinkers had a history of IR (Testa & Hoffman, 2012). As freshmen in college, women’s risk of IR during the semester increased with the maximum number of drinks consumed on a single occasion during the same period

So, those women who drank heavily more often had a higher incidence of incapacited rape. That doesn't speak to the criteria that they used to define the "incapacitated" part of incapacited rape.

I'm not trying to diss the study here. I'm trying to figure out what it is that the study is measuring. I couldn't see that in the links. They talked about incapacitated rape a lot, but I didn't see the criteria they used to classify something as it.

There is no rape culture at our American college . And when I say no rape culture, I mean there is some, more than we want to admit.

All this denial sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

No, 15% of females were raped while incapacitated. Plied with drugs or alcohol. There is a difference between rape and consensual sex.

So, those women who drank heavily more often had a higher incidence of incapacited rape. That doesn't speak to the criteria that they used to define the "incapacitated" part of incapacited rape.

I'm not trying to diss the study here. I'm trying to figure out what it is that the study is measuring. I couldn't see that in the links. They talked about incapacitated rape a lot, but I didn't see the criteria they used to classify something as it.

Fair question. The baseline definitions always set the tone for such studies.

No, 15% of females were raped while incapacitated. Plied with drugs or alcohol. There is a difference between rape and consensual sex.

Right, and the definition of "incapacitated" is the key to distinguishing the difference between the two. What do they mean when they use that word?

Here is a Thanksgiving chewtoy for you MRAs out there:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-11/joso-sfh111315.php

The findings are based on 483 female freshmen who completed several surveys over their first year of college. The students were from a single university in New York State, so it would be helpful, Carey said, for further studies to confirm the results at other schools as well.

I'll see if I can dig out the study.

Given similar prior "research", odds are extremely high that few of these women said they were "raped" while "incapacitated", and these are just the author's unscientific efforts to put words in these women's mouths against their will. What these 15% probably said is that they had sex while intoxicated.

Here is the most informative part of what was quoted.

[P] Researchers found that freshmen women who'd been victims of such assaults before college were at substantial risk of being victimized again. Overall, nearly 18 percent of students said they'd been raped while incapacitated before college, and 41 percent of those young women were raped again while incapacitated during their freshman year.[/P]

So, if you do the algebra to solve for the % "raped" in college who were not "raped" before college, the equation is .41(.18) + X(.82) = .15.
X = .093. This means that the probability of getting "raped" as a freshmen were 9% if you weren't "raped" previously but 41% (over 4.5 times as high) if you were "raped" previously.

Wow. That's an amazing coincidence that the women that got "raped" before college are almost 5 times more likely to get raped again, even though they are in a whole different setting, different city, and around different people. What major causal determinant of such "rape" is the same across these scenarios that could so strongly determine which freshman get "raped" and which do not? The answer lies in the saying "Wherever you go, there you are."

No, this doesn't mean women are the cause of actual rape. This study didn't measure actual rape. The study measured which women gave a response that the researchers categorized as being "raped while incapacitated from drug use or alcohol".

Odds are also great that general drug/alcohol use and number of sexual partners are strong predictors of these "rape" incidents both pre and during college. This is because if rape is defined as a co-occurrence of drug use and sex, then anyone who does either or both more frequently will inherently be more likely to have them co-occur and thus be "raped".

You welcome buddy. :semi-twins: I knew you'd love this thread. Have fun.

Anyway, here is a better definition from the study:
Sexual assault refers to any unconsented sexual contact, ranging in severity from kissing and touching to intercourse (Krebs et al., 2007). Estimates suggest that one in five women will experience some form of sexual assault during her college years (Krebs et al., 2009). An extreme form of sexual assault is rape, defined as unwanted completed or attempted sexual penetration. Incapacitated rape (IR) refers to completed or attempted penetration that occurs while a victim is incapacitated because of consumption of alcohol or other drugs. Cross-sectional studies indicate that IR is more prevalent than forcible rape (i.e., involving the threat or actual use of physical force) in college samples (Krebs et al., 2009; Lawyer et al., 2010; Mohler-Kuo et al., 2004).

No, they are not. The question women were asked on which the results are based does not imply anything about the penetration by "unwanted". "Incapacitated rape" is what they report and that says nothing about it being "unwanted". The mere fact of intoxication, even if the sex is as wanted as anything can be, qualifies as rape under the definition they provided.

Fair question. The baseline definitions always set the tone for such studies.

And after another reading of the study, I now have a serious problem with it. They make a point to define everything in the study except for the thing that they're talking about. It's a very glaring omission when you're looking for it. The conclusion of this study might be "College women are having a lot of consentual sex" or it might be "College women are getting raped a lot". Based on this study, it seems that one cannot say.

Because that's the way it works.

We've had conversation before. The act of getting drunk does not relieve a person of the consequences of their actions while drunk. Having sex with a person who cannot give consent is a crime.

If this is a problem for you, I advise you to either avoid women, or avoid liquor.

Why do the progressives that run these colleges turn them into such hotbeds of racism and rape?

The act of getting drunk does not relieve a person of the consequences of their actions while drunk.
i know we've had this conversation before, and i'm not on the anti-woman hate wagon that certain other unnamed posters here are, but i still don't follow why that statement only applies to men and not to women when it comes to sexual encounters.

Having sex with a person who cannot give consent is a crime.
if a woman can be too drunk to consent, can not also a man?
i've never understood this whole "no matter how drunk (or not) a woman is, her consent is invalidated" thing and how that contrasts with "no matter how drunk (or not) a man is, his intent is assumed."

i've never understood this whole "no matter how drunk (or not) a woman is, her consent is invalidated" thing and how that contrasts with "no matter how drunk (or not) a man is, his intent is assumed."

Which is actually another issue with the study. They're presenting their conclusions like this is a women's problem but don't have a similar group of men surveyed to see if there's a gender difference. If 15% of women are victims of incapacitated rape (whatever that may be) and only 3% of men are, then it's far more of an issue for women. If 40% of men are, then it's far more of an issue for men. If the rates are similar, then it's a problem (or lack of a problem, given that we don't know what they're talking about) for the student body as a whole.

There may very well be a rape epidemic on campus which women need to protect themselves against. This study doesn't provide any information on the subject, though.

Back
Top Bottom