• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2 Guys Disguise McNuggets As Gourmet Snacks And Serve Them To Food Experts

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
Two guys behind the YouTube channel lifehunterstv sliced McDonald's McNuggets and burgers into bite-size pieces and served them with toothpicks on a white platter. They told the conference attendees that the food was a sampling from their "high-end" restaurant's menu.

One attendee called the food "nice and firm" and said it had "a good bite."
Another said it "rolls around the tongue nicely," and "if it were wine, I'd say it's fine."

The food was also described as "delicious" and "rich."

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qa6QXBxxWw[/youtube]

http://www.businessinsider.com/2-guys-fed-mcnuggets-to-food-critics-2014-10p

I am told that fast food tastes good. However with the amount of sugar, salt and other spices added I would expect that. The fact that the meat used was only the cheap bits is not important. Nor is the fact that it is not very good for you.

This is a pretty common and easy trick to do. Penn & Teller have done this sort of thing a couple of times:

Organic taste test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zqe4ZV9LDs

The Best (food taste test begins at 6:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KswZfnGhmUk&list=PL4EF4FA4D03064DEF

John Stossell did a bit a few years ago on 20/20 about vodka preferences. A bunch of yuppies in a fancy bar raved about their "must have" pricey vodkas, like Grey Goose, Stoli, Belvedere, etc. Yet very few could identify their preferred brand from a cheap generic vodka drunk from a shotglass. None could tell once it was in a mixed drink. Its all in the mind, folks.

I am acquainted with Penn & Teller's caper, but it is also true that McD's food is one of the most R&D'd products in the world.

give 6 shots of cheap vodka from a plastic bottle to one set of people and 6 shots of good vodka to another set. Then ask them how they feel the next day.
I didn't know "yuppies in a bar" were valid spirit critics.

McD's may taste good.. to some. I never heard of anyone going to a conference, getting free food, and then telling the host that their food tastes like McD's. That would be rude.

Give McD's every day to one group of people for a year and "fine food" to another for a year and see which group needs cardiac bypass and a liver transplant and which do not.

give 6 shots of cheap vodka from a plastic bottle to one set of people and 6 shots of good vodka to another set. Then ask them how they feel the next day.

McD's may taste good.. to some. I never heard of anyone going to a conference, getting free food, and then telling the host that their food tastes like McD's. That would be rude.

Give McD's every day to one group of people for a year and "fine food" to another for a year and see which group needs cardiac bypass and a liver transplant and which do not.

This is too vague and non-specific to give an answer. Depends on what McD's food they get, and what "fine food" they get. McD's has salads, etc. "Fine foods" can be very unhealthy. Fetticinni Alfredo used to be called, "Heat Attack on a Plate' IIRC.

Honestly, I've eaten some fancy, expensive foods and often I've thought, "i could have had a plate of ribs with dipping sauce, some potato salad and a piece of apple pie for 1/3 what this tiny, pretentious plate of "food" with fancy garnish costs".

And as far as the vodka tasters in my example not being spirit expert, that's true. But many so called wine experts have been humiliated and duped when they've picked cheap wines over expensive, fancy wines in double blind taste tests. Expensive doesn't always equate to quality.

This is too vague and non-specific to give an answer. Depends on what McD's food they get, and what "fine food" they get. McD's has salads, etc. "Fine foods" can be very unhealthy. Fetticinni Alfredo used to be called, "Heat Attack on a Plate' IIRC.

Honestly, I've eaten some fancy, expensive foods and often I've thought, "i could have had a plate of ribs with dipping sauce, some potato salad and a piece of apple pie for 1/3 what this tiny, pretentious plate of "food" with fancy garnish costs".

And as far as the vodka tasters in my example not being spirit expert, that's true. But many so called wine experts have been humiliated and duped when they've picked cheap wines over expensive, fancy wines in double blind taste tests. Expensive doesn't always equate to quality.
Although many people believe that it does. It's called the Chivas Regal effect. Chivas increased their sales dramatically by increasing their price.

Yup. My cousin's family have a small winery in St. Helena in the wine country. Its a good wine for a reasonable price. They went to a consultant for advice on how to increase wine sales, and the consultant told them to raise their prices. Sounds counterintuitive and we all got a good laugh out of it, but it was good advice!

Expectation bias, aka placebo effect, is common.

Especially in audio. People will pay hundreds of dollars for special power cords which have no measurable effect on audio quality and think the amp 'sounds' better.

Some audiophiles think here is some non measurable physical quality that makes some amps sound better than another. Audio mysticism.

People will spend $100k on speakers and and an amp that qualify visually as modern art. The audiophile and the gourmet experience is about the total subjective experience.

Yup. My cousin's family have a small winery in St. Helena in the wine country. Its a good wine for a reasonable price. They went to a consultant for advice on how to increase wine sales, and the consultant told them to raise their prices. Sounds counterintuitive and we all got a good laugh out of it, but it was good advice!

That is an old business paradigm.

If you sell a better product at a significantly lower price people will think it has to be inferior in some way.

Back
Top Bottom