• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2022 Midterm Elections - Results and Post Mortem

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
A yo Derec!! I'm expecting the democrats to be disappointed with the results of this election because it will be business as usual. Split right down the middle like TomC's ass.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
PA, Dems win Gov. It is a toss up for Senate. WTF America?!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So far, for the Senate, it is close to the dreaded Status Quo. Several elections are pegging close to 50/50, NC, GA, PA. Which is nuts, because 51/49 in the Senate gives you a great deal of control, and it seems like we have so little difference in votes meaning so much in actual governance. The US sucks at elections.

Reactions: jab

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
White and Asian people feeling left out of the American dream watching the poles like.

ElectionResults.gif

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Seem or are Rep - OH, NC
Close to toss up Rep - GA
Toss up - PA (updating this to slightly bluish purple)
Dem - NH

This nets one seat to the GOP. House seems lost at this point. Dobbs appeared to have little impact where abortion wasn't strictly on the ballot. In Ohio and PA, men outvoted women.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Abrams loses, proves it is probably a woman thing. Still a hero in my book!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
President DeSantis in 2024? Right-wing populism, even if it kills ya. He'll protect you from the boogieman!

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
PA won't be decided tonight, most likely. Could be within 0.5%.
Georgia might be settled tonight, but might not break the 50% barrier. Ironic, two black males being the lead candidates having to run again because of a rule created to keep blacks from winning.

This would mean the US Senate won't be known unless there is a collapse in the SW.

Democrats dumped money into WA and NH last second so as not to relive the horror that was November 2016.

Reactions: jab

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
You look at the Ohio map for US House, and you wonder how in the fuck that is legal. Southern half of Franklin county is diluted by most of empty Ohio heading to Dayton. Yeah, the voters in those regions have so much in common. Same thing with Toledo being drowned. At least my district has Canton and Akron, and a reasonable territory around it. Not a hundred miles across! But both 7 and 13 are meant to carve out a bit more of Cuyahoga County and disenfranchise more Democrats.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Just in, WI is a slightly bluish purple.

Check that, WI went for CT Johnson.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Govnahs?

Whitmer wins MI governor race, where abortion was on the ballot. And it showed in the vote tallies with women +17 in her favor.

Arizona is a dead heat. Could go either way. Incredible the bags of crap the conservatives are voting for. Lake's main policy is anti-democracy.

O'Rourke is routed in TX. Doesn't even win the women's vote.

Evers (D) is looking to be a slight favorite to win in Wisconsin. He is slightly ahead exit polling wise. Not enough to give him the hat.

House in Ohio, the GOP successfully gerrymandered the House seats down to fucking 2 seats for the Dems and 13 for the Republicans. They diluted minority and liberal vote in Summit (Akron), Stark (Canton), Montgomery (Dayton), and Lucas (Toledo) counties. This will help the GOP win the House, by effectively shitting on Democracy.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Meanwhile, wait for GOP run legislatures to start making modifications for Referendums in their states, needing 60 or 66% to pass, to avoid another pesky MI, KS, or KY result on abortion.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
My District might not be done yet. Cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout GOP AOC was looking to beat Sykes, but Sykes might just have this one.

It gets better! OH-13 is trending blue (my district). OH-1 (Cincinnati) looks to be won by blue, this would be a decent upset. OH-9 (Toledo) appears to be blue too. If this holds, this would mean in an attempt to gerrymander the map and drop the Dems to 2 or 3 seats,, the GOP actually lost 2 seats (12 to 10) and the Dems gain 1 (4 to 5).

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Thanks for the play by play. Taking my EST self to bed, too.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
PA appears to be safer for Fetterman. Looking at where the returns remain, the big guy should be able to hold off the Snake Oil salesman from NJ. With the PA gain, that negates the GA loss... well, runoff. Another fucking runoff in Georgia. So NV is all that remains. They decide. Long lines in Las Vegas and the fact that almost nothing fucking changed (!!!!) gives me reason to think that the incumbent will win re-election, and the Senate is still 50-50 and the liberals need to live with Manchin and Sinema. Not that any legislation is getting passed now.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
SoS?

Crazy fucks in Arizona and Michigan are out.

Current GOP SoS in GA is in. So again, this shows the limits of Trump... all the while the alt-right populism spreads through the US House via gerrymandered districting.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
And exit polling in Nevada implies that Laxalt won. The Urban vote was a near draw. ??? While Laxalt lost the suburbs, but crushed it in the rural areas.

If Walker wins GA, GOP gets both Houses. Fuck!

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
So what is first on the Democrat agenda after defeating the Republicans in this midterm?
Try to reconcile with them. Pursue some of their agenda items for them. Solemnly praise the value of "reaching across the aisle". Vote for Trump in 2024 because you heard some vague but awful rumors about Kamala Harris hating white men, then have regrets and impeach him again the following Autumn when it's too late to mean anything.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Didn't dare to look till now, but it appears there is no shellacking in sight. 😅

In fact, not bad at all for an incumbent president's party midterm, with low approval, and with high inflation.

Warnock looks like he may finish ahead, but either way will need a runoff.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Didn't dare to look till now, but it appears there is no shellacking in sight. 😅

Equal and opposite shellackings cancel each other out by principle of vector addition.
With the result that no net shellacking is apparent.

In fact, not bad at all for an incumbent president's party midterm, with low approval, and with high inflation.
Indeed. The red wave crashed against the breakwaters of Dobbs and subpar candidates like Walker and Öz and turned into a red ripple.

Warnock looks like he may finish ahead, but either way will need a runoff.
Looks like it. We will be exposed to four more weeks of advertising - especially if the Senate ends up being 50-49 and the balance of power rests on our little runoff yet again.
8a888826-87f6-4889-9c1f-b06fc9de5970_text.gif

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
My District might not be done yet. Cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout GOP AOC was looking to beat Sykes, but Sykes might just have this one.
Why do you call Gilbert "cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout"? She has similar education to Sykes - both have a law degree. Is it because she was in beauty pageants? Seems a tad sexist to demean a woman because of that.

It gets better! OH-13 is trending blue (my district). OH-1 (Cincinnati) looks to be won by blue, this would be a decent upset. OH-9 (Toledo) appears to be blue too. If this holds, this would mean in an attempt to gerrymander the map and drop the Dems to 2 or 3 seats,, the GOP actually lost 2 seats (12 to 10) and the Dems gain 1 (4 to 5).
Gerrymandering is an art, because it can be a double edged sword. The total number of voters cannot be changed, only shifted from one district to another. If the goal of your gerrymander is to maximize the number of seats your party will likely win, you have to sacrifice the safety of those seats. And vice versa. If you focus on safe margins, you leave some possible seats on the board. They flew too close to the sun (on wings of pastrami?) and it seems to have backfired.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Check that, WI went for CT Johnson.
Mandela Barnes was a horrible candidate. The rest of the primary field should not have folded.
Example: He still views Jacob Blake as victim of "racism". And praises felons Huber (domestic violence) and Rosembaum[sic] (child sexual abuse - 11 year olds, dude!).

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Abrams loses, proves it is probably a woman thing. Still a hero in my book!
How does her loss "prove" it's a "woman thing"?
She ran a campaign that was not very good. And she was still running in a reddish purple state, and this time against a reasonably popular incumbent.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
A yo Derec!! I'm expecting the democrats to be disappointed with the results of this election because it will be business as usual. Split right down the middle like TomC's ass.
A yo Gospel!
I would expect them to be elated. Without Dobbs and GOP nominating a bumbling idiot and a snake oil salesman from out of state, this would have went much worse for the Dems.

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
So what is first on the Democrat agenda after defeating the Republicans in this midterm?
Simple. Codify Hunter as the one and true President; invade and enslave Eastern Europe and Taiwan; fire all police; enshrine CRT as the primary purpose for kindergarten training: forgive all debt for college students foreign and domestic; throw very large party.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Simple. Codify Hunter as the one and true President; invade and enslave Eastern Europe and Taiwan; fire all police; enshrine CRT as the primary purpose for kindergarten training: forgive all debt for college students foreign and domestic; throw very large party.
And get rid of this shit once and for all:
3F3BEC7C-E3E4-40E8-B8EF-2A646D62D9D1.jpeg

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The Dems don’t have the Senate yet. Georgia is likely going to a runoff unless mail-ins pull heavy to Warnock. NV looks lost, the Dems need Georgia, poor Georgian streamers.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Why do you call Gilbert "cheap plastic and completely cardboard cutout"?
Yeah, using demeaning and derogatory nicknames and descriptions is wrong and bad!
Who is Gilbert again? I knew who sykes was, who the fuck is Gilbert?

A columnist for the Washington Times, I’m young, and support Trump? what were her plans? Support Trump. Political identity, Trump. She is a pretty right-wing fascist. I hate pretty right-wing fascists. I also hate the unpretty ones too.

Sykes is from a smallish time local political family, a liberal, and more identifies with the population that was diluted in the gerrymandering of my district.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The Dems don’t have the Senate yet. Georgia is likely going to a runoff unless mail-ins pull heavy to Warnock. NV looks lost, the Dems need Georgia, poor Georgian streamers.
Yes. The senate is too close to call. Looks like house will go republican. But close. Clearly, the republicans did far less than expectations. They had every advantage going into yesterday and just overshot their advantages.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I'm just relieved that there was no red wave. I didn't expect Stacey to win. It would have been like a miracle if she did. Despite my support of her, I think she ran a much better campaign in 2018, and the Republicans did an effectivel job of demonizing her this time around. Sure, there was likely a little bit of sexism in the mix, along with the usual Democratic voter apathy. Perhaps the biggest obstacle was that she ran against an incumbent, who despite some of his despicable policies, he never lied about the 2020 election and he didn't let Trump manipulate him into election denial. We will only be stuck with him for one more term. With the growing population in Georgia, the state might be a bit more blue in 2024. Hoping... :D

Top Bottom