• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

2nd round of Dem primary debates recap thread

PyramidHead

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Marxist-Leninist
Surprised there's no thread for this like there was for the first round. What's everybody's take on the race after this week? No peeking at polls or NYT op-eds!

Uninspiring. Biden looked old and feeble. Booker and Harris should spend less time picking on him and more on the issues. Too much sniping on personal issues rather than on policy. Tuesday night debate had much more fire and substance. I doubt any of the Weddnesday group could stand up against Trump's chicanery.

I watched CNN interview the hippy crystal lady right afterwards.
How the Dems thought it was anything less than completely moronic to put her on a stage as representing any aspect of their camp whatsoever is completely beyond explanation.
She embodies everything the vast majority of Americans find ridiculous.. she inspires counter arguments like "no one wants laws making purple auras illegal in public"
When the republicans win the next election because of this, her picture will become the poster child of how Trump saved America from the Loony Left.

How the Dems thought it was anything less than completely moronic to put her on a stage as representing any aspect of their camp whatsoever is completely beyond explanation.
She embodies everything the vast majority of Americans find ridiculous.. she inspires counter arguments like "no one wants laws making purple auras illegal in public"
When the republicans win the next election because of this, her picture will become the poster child of how Trump saved America from the Loony Left.

Dope shit man, you're on a roll!

Uninspiring. Biden looked old and feeble. Booker and Harris should spend less time picking on him and more on the issues. Too much sniping on personal issues rather than on policy. Tuesday night debate had much more fire and substance. I doubt any of the Weddnesday group could stand up against Trump's chicanery.

I think your last sentence undermines your first. Primary debates are a good mechanism for seeing how candidates withstand criticism, even when it's allegedly in bad faith (though none of what I saw last night was personal). If Biden and Harris can't withstand a newcomer like Gabbard calling them out on their bullshit, they're already toast.

I thought both debates were worthless. To me, Bernie looked unhinged. Warren was more realistic if you consider her plans to be aspirational. She's too smart not to know that it will be close to impossible to get any of her plans passed, but she comes across as a decent candidate, and she has a history of knowing when to compromise.

We all have different perceptions, preconceived ideas, and opinions of things based on our life experiences, and our genetics, so my opinion isn't meant to be insulting to anyone else's opinion and I don't take the criticisms of my opinions seriously. I would just hope that those on the more progressive left would come to terms with the fact that they don't make up the majority of the party or the country. I also hope that all of us will vote for whoever runs against Trump, if our dream candidate doesn't win. I have no dream candidate, btw. I just want to get rid of the most harmful, incompetent president in my lifetime, probably in the history of the country. That is all that matters to me.

I had to turn off the first debate after about 30 minutes. The second debate was a little bit more interesting at first, but when the Dems all ganged on on Biden and then on each other, I decided it was worthless to continue so I went to bed after two hours of wasting my time. Considering how harsh Biden was attacked, I thought he did adequately. In fact, Dana Milbank wrote a column making exactly that point. I personally don't care about the policies. I care about having a candidate that has experience and has the potential to beat Trump. Harris is hypocritical imo. Castro made a few good points. Booker wasn't completely honest about some of the things that went on when he was mayor of Newark, a city that I grew up near, and have followed for many years. DeBlasio was the biggest asshole of all. I wish he'd take his ego and go back to New York. Bennet made some decent points but I don't see him as having any potential to go any further. I really wasn't impressed with any particular candidate. I wish most of them would go away and get back to their real jobs.

I don't know why the Dems are attacking each other and Obama. They are only giving more ammunition to the Trump campaign. For that reason, I'm beginning to doubt the intelligence of these candidates.

Here's what else I think. Nobody is going to change their minds based on these nutty debates, especially as long as there are so many candidates. Only a small percentage of Americans even bother to watch them and only a small percentage of voters are even paying attention to the presidential election at this point. I have a few friends who like to talk politics. I have many friends who walk away from me and my political junkie friends when we start talking about politics. So, if any debates are important, it will be the ones that come closer to the elections.

In order of how much I noticed them and the impression they gave me while I did other things and had this on in the background:

1. Williamson is hilarious. I want to see her in a debate with Trump. This could be comedy gold. Please keep her around in these debates as long as possible.

2. Tulsi also did pretty well this time around. She stood out to me.

3. Bernie is still Bernie. I'm a fan. He's a true straight talker.

4. Warren is similar to Bernie. Also a fan. She's genuine. But I think the whole Pocahontas thing is something that would sink her to Trump.

5. Booker and Harris both seem very fake to me.

6. Spanish talking guy also seems very fake to me, but he didn't do everything in Spanish this time. He did nothing in Spanish. What gives?

7. Yang hardly spoke, but I like what I've seen of him elsewhere and support his "Freedom Dividend" idea. Hope he influences whoever wins or the party as a whole.

8. Biden is clearly going for the calm measured stately persona. So far he's avoided the pitfalls Hillary fell into, but he's got many of the same corporate democrat views. Not my pick.

The others didn't stand out and I still don't recognize many of them. They all blend together. But it was funny that that one lady wore the exact same outfit as Warren. Not just the colours but the design looked identical. I wonder if that was planned or coincidence.

Veep called it.

LMAO at "Afircan-American nation of N-word" as well.

I think it would have been a smarter idea for DNC to have the real and "polling between x% and not statistically significant" debate rather than distributing candidates randomly though.

I thought both debates were worthless. To me, Bernie looked unhinged. Warren was more realistic if you consider her plans to be aspirational.
The problem with Warren is that while more moderate on economics she has gone full bore on "identity politics". I think Hillary pushed the "identity politics" too hard which is a major reason she lost the Midwestern states that she needed.

Hell, she is even against a telescope being built in Hawaii that 77% of the state population support because some "native" Hawaiians and their far left allies oppose it.

Back
Top Bottom