• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

A real World Series?

So.. Why DO they call it the "world series" anyway? That's a pretty good question.
Because at the time it started, baseball was really only played in the USA.

That has to be the worst non-answer to a question EVER.

By that logic, the Kangaroo is the 'World Animal', because they are only found in Australia.

By that logic, the Kangaroo is the 'World Animal', because they are only found in Australia.
Which doesn't necessarily make it untrue..

I was about to throw in that it was originally sponsored by the The New York World newspaper, then colloquially known as "The World" (the really interesting question is why more Brits know this than have even seen a game). But -at least according to Snopes- that's untrue:

The New York World never had anything to do with the World Series, however, other than being one of the many newspapers to report the results. The modern World Series (like its predecessor series waged between National League and American Association teams from 1884-1890) was so named not because of any affiliation with a corporate sponsor, but because the winner was considered the "world's champion" — the title was therefore simply a shortened form of the phrase "world's championship series."

http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

So more like 'The World Kangaroo' - not actually inaccurate but the hyperbolic sensationalism, routine with sporting events, sounds odd with marsupials.

Think of it like the National Rugby League that is actually an international competition. :p

I'd call for global inclusion in any tournament that's called the 'world series', but I suspect we'd be trounced pretty badly even though out of 33 Championships we've been European champion 21 times, and 2nd place 9 times. Baseball will probably always be a non-game in most of the world.

..though about 50% of Brits have played it regularly at some time. Only here it's called "rounders" and played by schoolgirls while the boys play soccer and cricket. As Brit contractors in the US never tire of reminding native co-workers. One guy became quite upset when I suggested that being why the champ was called "Babe Ruth"

Boo Yah!

That was one of the best baseball games I've seen in a long time. I especially liked the part where the Rangers made three errors in one inning so they couldn't end it on simple plays and then the Jays smashed a three run homer to send the funny foreigners slinking home in shame and defeat.

Boo Yah!

That was one of the best baseball games I've seen in a long time. I especially liked the part where the Rangers made three errors in one inning so they couldn't end it on simple plays and then the Jays smashed a three run homer to send the funny foreigners slinking home in shame and defeat.

I agree, this game was immense. It had everything. And the crowd throwing shit on the field ?!! What is that all aboot eh ? Heathens.

First time I've genuinely cared about a team in the MLB playoffs. If the ALCS is anything like the Jays-Texas series, my heart won't hold out much longer.

Boo Yah!

I agree, this game was immense. It had everything. And the crowd throwing shit on the field ?!! What is that all aboot eh ? Heathens.

Yeah, I thought you Canuckistani bastitches were s'posed to be polite.

BTW, they attributed one error to someone else but I was watching. Elvis Andrus committed three errors on three consecutive at bats.

Boo Yah!

Tie for the Jays to seek some 20 year old vengeance.

Yeah, I thought you Canuckistani bastitches were s'posed to be polite.

We are polite. That politeness has limits, however, and apparently one of those limits is that you can't stand there and have someone on the other team inadvertently bounce a ball off of you. We will fuck your shit up for that type of crap. :mad:

Boo Yah!

Tie for the Jays to seek some 20 year old vengeance.
Make that 30. *sigh*

Jays in 6.

The nice thing about this post-season is that I don't mind any of the remaining teams taking it all.

I don't know how far it's spreading outside of our borders media-wise, but Canada has been going nuts for the Jays since August.

Back
Top Bottom