• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Abortion (again)

fast

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Christian
I was also confused by your post, fast. I still am. I also am wondering what race has to do with any of this. And, btw, the majority of my former public health patients were white, when I was working in the small health department in rural SC. Race shouldn't have a thing to do with any of this. This is about women being able to access both birth control and abortions. And yes, the two are related. They both concern reproductive choices.

My first thought about race did not come until I read your post. It was your unusually high number of times you used the term "poor" coupled with some recent comments elsewhere on this forum equating race with being poor. As to your comment, "the majority of my former public health patients were white," recall this from your prior post: "All of my maternity patients were poor, but not quite poor enough for Medicaid, which was why the clinic was started."

It's difficult to add and subtract when no numbers are given, so I left it up to Bob (and all of his dissociative prowess) to replace unknown facts with speculative fantasy.

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Women have always had abortions, especially before we had many effective means of birth control. It's just that they used to be illegal so they were performed in unsafe conditions. Back in the early 20th Century, women stood in line for cheap abortions which were done by non medical people, often in unsanitary conditions. Is that what people want?

Yes because it punishes women via risk of death for being unwilling to be punished for having sex via motherhood.

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
I wish my parents were willing to get abortions, but the whole "psychologically abuse your child so they will work for corrupt assholes who guarantee wealth to those who abuse children to create wage slaves" thing was a little too much for them to pass up.

Worldtraveller

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I was also confused by your post, fast. I still am. I also am wondering what race has to do with any of this. And, btw, the majority of my former public health patients were white, when I was working in the small health department in rural SC. Race shouldn't have a thing to do with any of this. This is about women being able to access both birth control and abortions. And yes, the two are related. They both concern reproductive choices.

My first thought about race did not come until I read your post. It was your unusually high number of times you used the term "poor" coupled with some recent comments elsewhere on this forum equating race with being poor. As to your comment, "the majority of my former public health patients were white," recall this from your prior post: "All of my maternity patients were poor, but not quite poor enough for Medicaid, which was why the clinic was started."

It's difficult to add and subtract when no numbers are given, so I left it up to Bob (and all of his dissociative prowess) to replace unknown facts with speculative fantasy.

I don't remember ever equating race with being poor, so to clarify, let me just say that I never equate being poor with race. I've known many poor people of different races and/or cultural backgrounds. But, since that has nothing to do with this thread, I'll leave it at that.

Top Bottom