• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Advice wanted from experienced smokers (meats)

Berhuny

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I've gotten bored with grilling and was thinking of buying a smoker. My budget would be $800 maximum. All the smoking options out there are confusing to a newbie like me. I'm willing to put in the work to learn how to do it right, I just don't know where to start. Off the top of my head I have some questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1) How hard is it to smoke meats? Should I expect inedible yuckiness from my first few attempts?
2) What type of smoker for a beginner (if it matters): gas, wood, pellet, electric, something else?
3) Any recommended brands or brands to stay away from?
4) What are the important features to look for?
5) Am I a real pansy and should just quit piddlywhacking, go buy a smoker, and get started?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

There's really not that much to it. Most smoking is just slow cooking. The meat is for immediate consumption, so it not a preservation process.

Almost any grill can be used for smoking. Set the grill for indirect heat and let it go. You can use any kind of hardwood chips. Soak them in water and wrap in foil. Put this directly on the coals. One pack is plenty for flavor.

I have the barrel style grill with the smaller side box. I rarely use the side box, but it's handy when doing vegetables along with the meat. my favorite is smoked chicken. I put 4 whole chickens on the top rack and start with a whole chimney of charcoal. I use hickory, but anything except pine will give you a nice flavor. Pine tastes like bitter tar. Cherry wood, walnut, oak, pecan, etc.

There's nothing magic about it. As I said, it's just slow cooking. Keep the meat away from the fire and turn it halfway through.

Thanks Bronzeage. Those look pretty damn good to me. I'll do some experimenting :)

Back
Top Bottom