• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

After decades, serial killer caught

Is the serial killer profession dead? In our current age of DNA, cameras everywhere, cell phones, credit cards, GPS, etc., being a successful serial killer seems impossible unless you work the blood lab for homicide. Asking for a friend.

I suspect he contaminated some other unrelated crime scene with his DNA (hair or something) while being policeman. So they realized that serial killer was one of their own.

I suspect he contaminated some other unrelated crime scene with his DNA (hair or something) while being policeman. So they realized that serial killer was one of their own.

No, because he was fired from being an officer before the era of DNA.

They can confiscate his garbage from the curb with no search warrant and it will probably contain lots of items with his DNA on it.

No, because he was fired from being an officer before the era of DNA.

Right, and all the evidence for all the cases he had been involved were destroyed because he was fired?

What's the political issue here?

Underseer hates white people?

In my town, we pay extra taxes for certain services that other neighborhood's do not have... for example, our garbage pickup is house-side, not curb-side.... which is to say, it would be illegal to pick through my trash, as it remains on my property up until the garbage crew walks up my driveway, goes through my gate, and by the side of my garage, remove the bags from my can and put it in their "carry can" to take to the truck on the street.
It's like the one thing my taxes pay for that I appreciate.... not leaving my trash on the curb... or having to remember to go do that.

Is the serial killer profession dead? In our current age of DNA, cameras everywhere, cell phones, credit cards, GPS, etc., being a successful serial killer seems impossible unless you work the blood lab for homicide. Asking for a friend.
You clearly aren't near NE Ohio, where two serial killers were found out in the last five or so years. Of course, that included primarily black women in the not as nice part of Cleveland/East Cleveland.

So they searched among people who used their DNA for genealogy purposes and one of his relatives happened to be there, smart.

So they searched among people who used their DNA for genealogy purposes and one of his relatives happened to be there, smart.

Yes, they did somehow get into a dna database. It isn't clear how (and it was gedmatch btw), like maybe they hacked fake profiles up or had some employee do some computational queries on the dna. OR they extracted dna from the criminal evidence left behind and then followed that up with using the same SNPs ancestry/23&me use to create the data or part of it, even maybe just a section of continuous SNPs in Y or other chromosome. While there would be some relatives there which could help them to triangulate things, it also turns out he had a brother in prison with his dna in the crime database.

Yes, they did somehow get into a dna database. It isn't clear how (and it was gedmatch btw), like maybe they hacked fake profiles up or had some employee do some computational queries on the dna. OR they extracted dna from the criminal evidence left behind and then followed that up with using the same SNPs ancestry/23&me use to create the data or part of it, even maybe just a section of continuous SNPs in Y or other chromosome. While there would be some relatives there which could help them to triangulate things, it also turns out he had a brother in prison with his dna in the crime database.

No real hacking needed. Simply take crime scene DNA and post it, see what comes up.

If he had a brother DNA in police database then it was pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom