• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Alaska 2.0

https://www.adn.com/business-econom...eady-described-as-huge-just-got-a-lot-bigger/
On shore.Near infrastructure. Proven safe extraction.
But.I am still conflicted.Love the oil years here,big checks form oil.Jobs,growth.Then north slope started to run out,and the price fell.This big little state needs sp 5 billion,fast.2021 at best. Burn more carbon vs save my home?

What happened last time? Did the boom result in families moving to Alaska? Forming communities,increasing the population and creating social stability and diversifying the economy? Or did just single guys move there, and when the boom flopped, moved out?

Alaska is a red state.So taxes will be the last thing.Cut spending on schools and social programs has started.Fishing,mining,and tourism can only do so much.We are not broke,we just do not want tap the savings until all else fails.

Alaska is a red state.So taxes will be the last thing.Cut spending on schools and social programs has started.Fishing,mining,and tourism can only do so much.We are not broke,we just do not want tap the savings until all else fails.

Well, if you're at the "cut funding for schools and social programs" stage, then aren't you already past the "all else fails" stage? The whole point of the savings account should have been so that you don't have to cut funding to these things when you get into this kind of situation.

Well, if you're at the "cut funding for schools and social programs" stage, then aren't you already past the "all else fails" stage? The whole point of the savings account should have been so that you don't have to cut funding to these things when you get into this kind of situation.

Alaska is a red state. They will run it into the ground before admitting that there might be a better way.

Sounds more like Kansas 2.0 to me.

Funny how the same states with people who will cut funding to their schools to avoid paying taxes have people who are too uneducated to find new jobs when their industries dry up.

You shouldn't have to worry too much longer. Donald Trump has promised Putin he will give Alaska back to Russia. You will all be Russian citizens. The disposition of Sarah Palin is yet to be determined.

Eldarion Lathria

Here's an interesting take on how to deal with the ideological divide in the US: https://newrepublic.com/article/140...ial&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sharebtn

I think it's worth a try. :D Probably conservative states would not really want to do this because they depend too much on federal funds and some of them are a rock bottom as it is in terms of health and education. But still, nice dream for blue states.

https://www.adn.com/business-econom...eady-described-as-huge-just-got-a-lot-bigger/
On shore.Near infrastructure. Proven safe extraction.
But.I am still conflicted.Love the oil years here,big checks form oil.Jobs,growth.Then north slope started to run out,and the price fell.This big little state needs sp 5 billion,fast.2021 at best. Burn more carbon vs save my home?

I do not see any good reasons why we should not develop this newly found deposit. The global economy still needs large amounts of oil (~90Mbbl/d currently) and will do so for the foreseeable future - i.e. the global demand might drop to perhaps half within 30-50 years.
So why not take advantage of the natural resources one has?

Here is the thing about taxes in Alaska.As of 2014 the population was 736,732.How much income tax would we need to make a dent in the short fall?
Another number,Alaska is over 850,000 sq miles!
We are a low federal input but high federal gain state.Mostly because of the militarily.The F16s can see Russia from here.

You shouldn't have to worry too much longer. Donald Trump has promised Putin he will give Alaska back to Russia. You will all be Russian citizens. The disposition of Sarah Palin is yet to be determined.

Eldarion Lathria
That is fake news. There is absolutely no basis for suggesting that Trump ever knew Alaska belonged to Russia. ;)

Eldarion Lathria
That is fake news. There is absolutely no basis for suggesting that Trump ever knew Alaska belonged to Russia. ;)
could cheetolini even find Alaska on a map?

Here's an interesting take on how to deal with the ideological divide in the US: https://newrepublic.com/article/140...ial&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sharebtn

I think it's worth a try. :D Probably conservative states would not really want to do this because they depend too much on federal funds and some of them are a rock bottom as it is in terms of health and education. But still, nice dream for blue states.

I have a farfetched dream of California, Oregon, and Washington just flat out seceding from the rest of the nation. There is an orange ape in the White House which indicates to me that this nation is too far gone to bring back.

secede,no,but a combined effort to work together on shared interest.Like fish,timber.and tech.

Back
Top Bottom