• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And Sanders to Endorse Clinton in 5...4....3....2....1....

I keep reading that Kaine could be selected and then the Democrat Governor could appoint himself as Senator. I don't like that plan at all! Warren works. Al Franken could work too. Franken could do what Warren does, but make everyone laugh while he does it.

I keep reading that Kaine could be selected and then the Democrat Governor could appoint himself as Senator. I don't like that plan at all! Warren works. Al Franken could work too. Franken could do what Warren does, but make everyone laugh while he does it.

The main problem with Kaine is that this scenario plays into the whole elitist insider club thing that Clinton is trying to distance herself from. Also, a problem with him is that nobody gives a shit who Tim Kaine is, so he adds nothing to the ticket. If Warren weren't so damn successful against Trump, Franken could play that role, but it's really unnecessary for him to do so when she's doing it better at the moment.

The main problem with Kaine is that this scenario plays into the whole elitist insider club thing that Clinton is trying to distance herself from. Also, a problem with him is that nobody gives a shit who Tim Kaine is, so he adds nothing to the ticket. If Warren weren't so damn successful against Trump, Franken could play that role, but it's really unnecessary for him to do so when she's doing it better at the moment.

I do like Warren, but that would throw another republican in the senate. Kaine delivers something very important: white people. For whatever reason, white people, especially men, hate HRC. They hate Warren also.

No, the Massachusetts Senate can jigger the rules around and stop the governor from appointing a Republucan (or something). It's all very sketchy and underhanded, but they've done it at least the last couple of times.

Also, if Warren gets the Sanders supporters out, they're not going to need to scratch and claw their way to eking out a majority.

I agree with Tom Sawyer here. Its much more important to have enthusiasm and get the the young out to vote than is the risk of both two easterners on the ticket (NY and Mass) and two women on the ticket. White racist-sexist men are already pissed off. Pretty hard to lose more votes by getting those fuckers more pissed off.

Besides it puts a finger in the eye of those who think Hillary is in the pocket of WS.

I agree with Tom Sawyer here. Its much more important to have enthusiasm and get the the young out to vote than is the risk of both two easterners on the ticket (NY and Mass) and two women on the ticket. White racist-sexist men are already pissed off. Pretty hard to lose more votes by getting those fuckers more pissed off.

Besides it puts a finger in the eye of those who think Hillary is in the pocket of WS.

I'm not seeing much enthusiasm from the young for Hillary. If they vote, a majority will vote for HRC. But they are not dependable voters. We know that older white people will vote. Guarantied. Kaine would deliver some of them to HRC. I wouldn't be upset if Warren joins the ticket. Again, I like her. She's tough. But it's a risky strategy.

I see Kaine as a bigger risk than Warren. But I also don't see either as a big risk. The only way a VP pick can really hurt a ticket is if they are extremely unqualified.

Palin.

Or maybe a few thoughtful Republicans will realize what's happened after Trump gets destroyed and vote for things that cause the country to work a little better.

Sorry, reading about Senators reading fairy tales inspired the above comment.
Any possible defectors left or was Spector the last moderate Republican?

Susan Collins, R-ME, maybe. I cannot say for sure though.

I don't think HRC should pick Elizabeth Warren. MA would hold a special election to determine who replaces her. Two words for anyone who think that the Democrats couldn't lose that seat in a special election: Scott Brown.

Elizabeth Warren doesn't have to be on the ticket for her to be an effective surrogate for her nor does she have to be the VP choice to appear with her at campaign speeches.

I wonder why Richard Cordray doesn't get more consideration for the VP pick. Seems he could draw the Bernie/Warren crowd heading the CFPB and draw more from the middle for those who would not be comfortable with Warren or just a female/female ticket.
And being from Ohio doesn't hurt.

Any possible defectors left or was Spector the last moderate Republican?

I don't think HRC should pick Elizabeth Warren. MA would hold a special election to determine who replaces her. Two words for anyone who think that the Democrats couldn't lose that seat in a special election: Scott Brown.

Elizabeth Warren doesn't have to be on the ticket for her to be an effective surrogate for her nor does she have to be the VP choice to appear with her at campaign speeches.
Good point. There is one.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder why Richard Cordray doesn't get more consideration for the VP pick. Seems he could draw the Bernie/Warren crowd heading the CFPB and draw more from the middle for those who would not be comfortable with Warren or just a female/female ticket.
And being from Ohio doesn't hurt.
Probably because I live in Ohio and barely recall his name... I think he was AG for Ohio after the first guy had to quit because of issues.

Good point. There is one.
Yeah, Olympia Snowe R-ME was another. She retired from the Senate because she was tired of the partisanship. Angus King I-ME replaced Sen Snowe. King caucuses with the Democrats.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

I would prefer if Clinton _asked_ Warren and Warren refused on the grounds that she can do more as Clinton's partner from the Senate.
That way the young voters get their enthusiastic endorsement, they get Clinton having shown the requisite deference to the left, and we all get a one-two powerhouse in two branches working together.

That's my dream team.

Sanders sells out. How sad.

Ya, and all he got in return was a Democratic party that veered sharply to the left and included several of his major policy positions in its campaign platform. It's like his entire campaign was a waste of time. :mad:

I would prefer if Clinton _asked_ Warren and Warren refused on the grounds that she can do more as Clinton's partner from the Senate.
That way the young voters get their enthusiastic endorsement, they get Clinton having shown the requisite deference to the left, and we all get a one-two powerhouse in two branches working together.

That's my dream team.

I think that's unlikely to happen. I think Warren really wants to be VP. I also think if Warren stays in the Senate she will become Clinton's strongest Democratic opponent, rather than her partner. I see choosing Warren as a sacrifice (or rather re-triangulation) Clinton must make in order to satisfy Sanders' supporters that she must now and in the future actually address their issues, rather than a one-time gesture to appease them. We are tired and angry at the way Obama continually caved in under the naive assumption that the other side would then play ball.

That's my dream team.

I think that's unlikely to happen. I think Warren really wants to be VP. I also think if Warren stays in the Senate she will become Clinton's strongest Democratic opponent, rather than her partner. I see choosing Warren as a sacrifice (or rather re-triangulation) Clinton must make in order to satisfy Sanders' supporters that she must now and in the future actually address their issues, rather than a one-time gesture to appease them. We are tired and angry at the way Obama continually caved in under the naive assumption that the other side would then play ball.

Ya, Warren seems to have been clearly campaigning for the VP slot. If she doesn't get it, the Sanders supporters will see it as a slap in the face regardless of what kind of spin gets put on it. Warren also adds something to the ticket, in terms of generating enthusiasm amongst the base. None of the other choices really give Clinton anything she can't get without them.

Clinton is well aware that the presidential election is a done deal and she doesn't need any boost herself. What needs a boost is the chances of the Dems taking the House and the Senate so that she can leave the Presidency having accomplished something as opposed to having been blocked on every initiative she spent eight years trying to implement.

Wow, Derec completely doesn't get it, how sad.

$15 /hr wage, tuition support for public college, free trade, Glass-Stegall... that isn't selling out, that is called getting what you wanted.

Wow, Derec completely doesn't get it, how sad.

$15 /hr wage, tuition support for public college, free trade, Glass-Stegall... that isn't selling out, that is called getting what you wanted.

I'm sorry, but that response is not endorsed or sanctioned by the official Donald Trump twitter account. Please delete.

That's my dream team.

This makes a lot more sense. Having to replace a Democratic senator, and relying on a governor's appointment, or a special election, could end up being the difference between Democratic & Republican control of the Senate. I don't think that the Democrats can take back the House this election due to gerrymandering. At the very least HRC would be able to get an appointment to replace Scalia that's much more favorable to left of center voters with a Democratic Senate than a Republican one.

All this pick Warren talk doesn't take into account the possibility that whether or not the Democrats retake the Senate could come down to one Senate seat. Another Scott Brown could mean the difference between Schumer or McConnell being Majority Leader.

Back
Top Bottom