• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

And so it begins ---- Trump will upstage the dems

starwater

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Moving to the 4th Dimension
Trump decides TODAY for the first time ever - to make an appearance at the podium at the White House briefing room. The day the dems and Nancy take over - :victorious:

Stay tuned - I feel this is a trend. Trump will always make it about him.

Trump decides TODAY for the first time ever - to make an appearance at the podium at the White House briefing room. The day the dems and Nancy take over - :victorious:

He doesn't have to worry about that in the short term. It's his #trumpshutdown, and it's what the new House will be working on first.

That briefing was a non-event. He didn't say anything and walked out instead of answering questions.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

So much for upstaging. He's a dead man walking.

He will be if he holds this wall crap too close to his chest. If we can assume Trump does not understand the ramifications of even a partial government shutdown and as is his nature, refuses to listen to those knowledgeable about it, he will reach a point where he will get a veto proof bill on his desk. Trump is riding this out because he knows his base is not only enamored with this fucking wall but also the thought of so many federal employees not getting paid. He might overplay this one.

With a rubberstamp Congress, Trump had no trouble upstaging Democrats. That's why Roosevelt named it a "Bully pulpit". Unfortunately for him, he has overused it with his Twitter obsession. The new Democratic House majority has a number of smaller bully pulpits in that committee chairs will now hold hearings to investigate the scandals and nonsense coming out of the White House. So Trump is now in for a very bumpy ride, if he thinks he will be able to continue dominating the news cycle. It was bad enough for him, when he had to play whack-a-mole with news coming out of the Mueller investigation. Now he is going to have a lot more moles popping up. The media isn't going to have time to dote on his every inflammatory tweet.

Trump lost a lot of power when the House turned.

He can blab all he wants to.

It is meaningless.

What matters is power.

As to Twitter wars, I think that the pResident has met his match in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. She is as good at Twitter one-liners as he is, and she seems more likable, a sort of Señora Herrera Goes to Washington.

The Right hated Bill Clinton, and the Right hated Barack Obama, but those two were unwilling to fight back very much. AOC does seem willing to fight back.

He will be if he holds this wall crap too close to his chest. If we can assume Trump does not understand the ramifications of even a partial government shutdown and as is his nature, refuses to listen to those knowledgeable about it, he will reach a point where he will get a veto proof bill on his desk. Trump is riding this out because he knows his base is not only enamored with this fucking wall but also the thought of so many federal employees not getting paid. He might overplay this one.

The purpose of the shutdown is to serve Putin's ends, not his. He is always doing what Putin demands of him. Now more than ever, in fact, precisely because they both know it's rapidly coming to an end, so Trump is going to be pulling as many plugs off of life support as he possibly can to please the only person who could really do him damage; like permanent dead in a ditch (or worse; alive and disfigured) type damage.

This whole thing has never really been about Trump, which is yet another reason why he'll take a deal, but only at the bitter end and when he finally has no other option. It can't be fully revealed what Putin and Trump have done. That is--you'll pardon the pun--the final trump card and it's one that no one in the echelons really wants played if it can be avoided. It's known, of course, at the highest levels and we all believe it's true, but to actually have that come out--proved in a public court like the Senate impeachment proceedings or the like--is not something anyone in power really wants to see happen. Not for Trump's sake, of course; they'd love to see him swing. For "America's" sake.

Better that he resigns and it remains in the realm of conspiracy theory and rumors and rumors of rumors than to have all of the concrete evidence thrown down that proves a foreign power successfully occupied our highest office and was calling all the shots for a good two years or more. Remember that there are ALSO Republican Senators who are likely also on Putin's payroll, so it's a matter of m.a.d. (or "detente" I guess) that Trump resign without all of that coming to full light.

And maybe that's his final play as well; his bluff. Go ahead and reveal to the world, kind of false dare/bravada, but then it really would be a death sentence for him; not by Putin, but by us. We'd have the first modern day firing squad in a heartbeat if that were the case, consequences be damned.

So it's resign or death. Basically. Perhaps not literally, but then again, we're not talking about small stakes here.

If he cops to lesser charges, though, that's when we'll know that he is in fact guilty of the higher crimes. And he can cop to those--the money laundering and tax fraud and the like--because those are "businessman" crimes; crimes he can laugh off like Capone thought he could.

Treason, or being proved a bonafide Traitor, however, is not something he could ever live down or get passed. Rumors? Yes. The realm of tabloid conspiracy? Sure, easy to ignore/dismiss. Concrete evidence publicly displayed and part of the historical record? No. It would always be his epitaph; surpassing all other achievements, real or imagined.

He's too much a narcissist to let that happen, so it's deal and likely fairly soon, imho.

Lame Duck Walking? I'd love to agree, but Sen. Dictator McConnell has said he refuses to pass the Senate Bill that they already passed, which just got through in the House... to give his GOP fuckwad President cover.

Yeah... he failed.

It was all about the House today

- - - Updated - - -

Only if there is a way around McConnell in the Senate

It's only upstaging if you are competing on "America's Got An idiot President." Which he'll win by default since there is only one President. Of course that's too deep a concept for the trumpets to understand.

Lame Duck Walking? I'd love to agree, but Sen. Dictator McConnell has said he refuses to pass the Senate Bill that they already passed, which just got through in the House... to give his GOP fuckwad President cover.

Bitch McConnell can refuse all he wants - right up to the point where his constituents are ready to give him the boot in 2020. Day by day, that point approacheth.

Bitch McConnell can refuse all he wants - right up to the point where his constituents are ready to give him the boot in 2020. Day by day, that point approacheth.

McConnell is only running 30% approval in Kentucky - Trump 50% so he thinks he has to agree with Trump no matter what to save his ass. He is up for re-election in November. I hope someone takes him down.

I give up on all these obituaries for G.O.P. hegemony. That was supposed to have happened in '92, '96, '08, and (shudder) '16, and I'm probably missing a few at that. Fact is, they're the gold standard in venomous propaganda and gaming the system.
I agree with the OP in that Trump will, beyond doubt, be in full-blown acting out style this year. It'll be his first encounter with Somewhat Divided Government, and he's kicked out just about everyone but the asskissers in the White House & cabinet. 1600 will look like a cageful of spider monkeys on meth. And they'll be flingin' more poo than ever before. The only positive result? Perhaps a return to approvals of 35-38%, i.e., the base plus a few "independents" who don't read much. But Republicans are now fully up to the task of ruling as a minority -- which they're prepared to do for decades.

I give up on all these obituaries for G.O.P. hegemony. That was supposed to have happened in '92, '96, '08, and (shudder) '16, and I'm probably missing a few at that. Fact is, they're the gold standard in venomous propaganda and gaming the system.
I agree with the OP in that Trump will, beyond doubt, be in full-blown acting out style this year. It'll be his first encounter with Somewhat Divided Government, and he's kicked out just about everyone but the asskissers in the White House & cabinet. 1600 will look like a cageful of spider monkeys on meth. And they'll be flingin' more poo than ever before. The only positive result? Perhaps a return to approvals of 35-38%, i.e., the base plus a few "independents" who don't read much. But Republicans are now fully up to the task of ruling as a minority -- which they're prepared to do for decades.
With the rate they are appointing Justices to benches, yeah, the GOP is clearly playing the long game, and as you noted, they have done the leading with the minority game pretty damn well. It is so bad, the GOP won't even pass the same Senate funding bill they already passed.

They've played dirty pool for a while, with the massive Gerrymandering, anti-voting tactics since 2010. Then you have the whole stealing a SCOTUS seat thing. Stonewalling on Appealate and District court appointments. The 2000 Florida election theft. The straight up politically motivated impeachment of President Clinton. And even a Republican caught trying to steal an election in North Carolina... and nothing from the GOP.

Back
Top Bottom