• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Another Holocaust survivor compares Republicans to Nazis

http://www.newsweek.com/im-holocaust-survivor-trumps-america-feels-germany-nazis-took-over-876965

I remember hearing Holocaust survivors respond to the behavior of Republicans under his holiness Bush II, and the comparisons certainly haven't died down under Trump.

I can't wait to hear conservolibertarians explain how I'm the "real Nazi" here.

Republicans were not being compared with Nazis. They said, "the far right", as in, "the extremists". It is the direction our country is going that is being compared with how Germany was going between the world wars... and I see that a little bit too.... slight parallel.

"To live in this process is absolutely not be able to notice it -- please try to believe me -- unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had the occasion to develop. Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on ocassion, 'regretted,' that unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures' that no 'patriotic German' could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head."
"They Thought They Were Free." Milton Mayer. P:166

http://www.newsweek.com/im-holocaust-survivor-trumps-america-feels-germany-nazis-took-over-876965

I remember hearing Holocaust survivors respond to the behavior of Republicans under his holiness Bush II, and the comparisons certainly haven't died down under Trump.

I can't wait to hear conservolibertarians explain how I'm the "real Nazi" here.

Well, you're a conservatives Republican, and you seem pleased every time someone compares conservative Republicans to Nazis, so I guess you like being compared to Nazis.

"To live in this process is absolutely not be able to notice it -- please try to believe me -- unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had the occasion to develop. Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on ocassion, 'regretted,' that unless one were detached from the whole process from the beginning, unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures' that no 'patriotic German' could resent must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head."
"They Thought They Were Free." Milton Mayer. P:166

Trumps approach is a pretty ham-fisted version of that ... it's hard not to notice that he attacks the institutions that support "law and order", but only when HE is the subject of investigation. I don't think anyone beyond his base of idiots actually believes that a raid on his personal lawyer's offices, home hotel room etc., approved by DoJ and again by the US attorney for the Southern District of New York, are "an attack on our country". These things are not inconsequential, small or well-explained. Much as Cheato might wish he had all the finesse of an Adolph Hitler, he falls far short.

Eh, I dunno. I think we will survive Trump with our democracy intact. What I worry more is what comes after. I don't think our democracy could survive a shattered economy paired with a weak ineffectual government of limp-wristed democrats and corporate stooges. I honestly think we had the devil's luck with Trump. Now was the time for a demagogue to seize power and we somehow happened to get the worst/most incompetant one possible.

Back
Top Bottom