• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Ant-Man Trailer

KeepTalking

Code Monkey
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, Secular Humanist, Pastifarian, IPUnitard
Marvel aired the trailer for the upcoming Ant-Man movie last night. In case you haven't seen it, it is up on YouTube:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8[/YOUTUBE]

I was a bit underwhelmed at first, as there is not much action in the trailer. On the other hand, maybe this is an indication that more has been invested in plot and character development. I was never a huge Ant-Man fan to begin with. I never read any of the Ant-Man comics, and only know about the character from his appearances in the Avengers and Fantastic Four books. Most of what I have read centers on Hank Pym, rather than Scott Lang, who will be donning the suit here, albeit with guidance from Hank. Overall, I can't help feeling that this will be Marvel's first feature film flop in a while.

Thoughts?

Overall, I can't help feeling that this will be Marvel's first feature film flop in a while.

Thoughts?
it's a rather stupid and pointless character in the comics, and in the context of the movies there are several issues:
A. the "scientist/inventor makes some crime-fighting related mcguffin" cliche is a bit worn out - mr. fantastic, tony stark (who in the movies is half hank pym anyways), etc.
B. the production side of this is very worrisome, given the fall out of edgar wright from directing this and the iffy circumstances surrounding that.
C. feeling, for the first time in a marvel movie, a real sense of miscasting with both douglas and rudd, they just don't feel right - granted that's only based on the trailer, but still.

i think ant-man as a character is stupid, i don't really like douglas or rudd as actors, the trailer looks idiotic, the entire movie seems retarded... and yet, i'll be going to see it for sure, god damnit.
could be marvel's first misfire, sure, but people said the same thing about guardians of the galaxy. we'll have to see!

Overall, I can't help feeling that this will be Marvel's first feature film flop in a while.

Thoughts?
it's a rather stupid and pointless character in the comics, and in the context of the movies there are several issues:
A. the "scientist/inventor makes some crime-fighting related mcguffin" cliche is a bit worn out - mr. fantastic, tony stark (who in the movies is half hank pym anyways), etc.
B. the production side of this is very worrisome, given the fall out of edgar wright from directing this and the iffy circumstances surrounding that.
C. feeling, for the first time in a marvel movie, a real sense of miscasting with both douglas and rudd, they just don't feel right - granted that's only based on the trailer, but still.

i think ant-man as a character is stupid, i don't really like douglas or rudd as actors, the trailer looks idiotic, the entire movie seems retarded... and yet, i'll be going to see it for sure, god damnit.
could be marvel's first misfire, sure, but people said the same thing about guardians of the galaxy. we'll have to see!

I agree with pretty much everything you mention, and I will probably go see it anyway as well.

I do, however, disagree with regards to Guardians of the Galaxy. I was a fan of the comics since the '90s, and all of my comic book geek friends were excited about it from the first announcement. They may have been a relatively unknown group of super-heroes for the general public, but Marvel did an exceptional job with the way the trailers were presented, and that contributed to a larger success than even the Guardians fans expected, but I don't know of anyone who thought it was going to be a flop.

Ant-Man is more generally well known than the Guardians were before the movie, but I don't know of any comic book geeks that would say they are Ant-Man fans. The lack of excitement from this trailer certainly does not help matters any. The only thing that was even mildly entertaining about the trailer was Rudd's asking if it was too late to change the name, and I don't think that bodes well for Ant-Man.

I will have a chance to research it, but it doesn't have an exiting name. Ants give me a lot of problems around the house and now a ant superhero.

but I don't know of anyone who thought it was going to be a flop.
quite a number of people... well didn't think it would be a flop and predicted it was going to fail, but thought that it was a risky move and it was the first marvel movie that *could* flop.

i never thought that personally, which is why i said 'some people' said it - notably a handful of critics and such from various sites i can't accurately remember, but recall reading that multiple times in the months leading up to the film's release.

I liked the trailer
Sure it was a little sparse but the shriking/Ant scenes looked pretty cool and I can't see any actors that bother me (But then I have had little experience with Rudd)

So put me down for optimistic

Marvel movies are extremely formulaic. I don't expect any surprises from this one either: it'll be a predictable but fun romp like the Guardians of the Galaxy. "Is it too late to change the name?" reminds me of the Star-Lord jokes on the Guardians trailer.

I'm thinking, this might be a fun movie to see in 3D, because of the perspective changes. What really annoyed me in Hobbit that the perspective kept changing, and the sizes of characters on screen weren't consistent, a problem which is unique to 3D. With Ant-Man, there is actually a pretty good story reason why sometimes characters should look small and sometimes gigantic.

Back
Top Bottom