• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Any other canoeheads?

dendrast

Standing in my living room, yelling at the televis
Basic Beliefs
Greybeard loon
This is my craft. It is also has been my bread and butter for the past few years. Now I'm starting to look for a way out. I promised my wife I'd only do it until we went broke. (Actually, it's the march of time. I don't want to retire, I just don't want to work as much.)
2016 RAW.1.jpg2016 RAW.2.jpg2016 RAW.3.jpg2016 RAW.4.jpg
I'm a little hesitant about posting that last one, since there's a rule against advertising on these pages. Please don't beat me, mods, I'll remove it if asked.

How much does one of those set a hypothetical person back?

Looks too rich for anything I'd need, although getting a cheap canoe and spending some time in the Thames might be a worthwhile hobby to pick up.

$4500 CDN. My sister bought one for my niece as a graduation present. Cheaper than a car, it'll last longer, she'll have it for the rest of her life.

That particular canoe weighs about 75 lbs. I can shave it to about 65 lbs with Red Pine inner gunwales, 5/16" thick ribs (instead of 3/8") and a lighter weight canvas. I can paint it a light colour too.

Most of the canoes I build are "camp" canoes, intended for canoe tripping. The lines of that one are based on the Chestnut Prospector, it's 17' long. The camp I do work for sends them on long trips. Like to Hudson Bay.

I also do rebuilds which can be a much less expensive way to get into a wood/canvas canoe than buying new. As a matter of fact, I know of a rebuild I did of a 16' Langford that's for sale in London for about $2000. It may have sold by now, but it has been for sale for a couple years now. I can give the contact info if you're interested.

Archie's canoe.jpg Archie's canoe.1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is the "lightweight" I did for my niece. If she can carry it, you can.

Lauren's canoe.jpg

View attachment 13568
I'm a little hesitant about posting that last one, since there's a rule against advertising on these pages. Please don't beat me, mods, I'll remove it if asked.

I don't have a problem with it. Spamming would be a problem but there's nothing wrong with an artist being proud of his work.

Wouldn't be in the market for something in that range at this time due to wedding and other things to pay for, but they're certainly beautiful canoes.

I always have an appreciation for people with the patience/skill for woodworking because it's definitely something I lack. I know I could push myself into it if I wanted, but as of yet the motivation (or tools, or space) isn't there.

My game these days is more writing: forums, blogging, and poetry. I can be of use to others and not have to leave my couch.

Beautiful work.

Long ago I read a book about a man and his son who paddled a canoe from Canada down the Eastern Seaboard and eventually went through the Panama Canal.

Beautiful work.

Long ago I read a book about a man and his son who paddled a canoe from Canada down the Eastern Seaboard and eventually went through the Panama Canal.

Yeah, I read that book. People tend to give me things like that.

I thought it was a bit of an ego trip, but still, it was interesting.

View attachment 13568

I don't have a problem with it. Spamming would be a problem but there's nothing wrong with an artist being proud of his work.

Great, thanks Zip. IIRC advertising something was the rule that ELGS broke, deliberately after announcing she was going to, and precipitated The Great Schism which may only be beginning to be healed now. But there was probably more that I was unaware of, at the "meta-forum" level.

By the way, that trademark is entirely my own artwork too.

Absolutely gorgeous! I have been impressed with Old Town, but that... is on a whole other level.
Is the television you're yelling at in Kauai?

Absolutely gorgeous! I have been impressed with Old Town, but that... is on a whole other level.

Thanks, Elixir.
Sorry, Northern Ontario. These canoes were invented in New Brunswick and New England because that's where the Eastern White Cedar grows.
Some wood/canvas canoe brands now use Western Red Cedar for the planking, because it's available in long, knot-free runs, but still tend to use Eastern White Cedar because it bends better (less brittle).

Thanks, Elixir.
Sorry, Northern Ontario. These canoes were invented in New Brunswick and New England because that's where the Eastern White Cedar grows.
Some wood/canvas canoe brands now use Western Red Cedar for the planking, because it's available in long, knot-free runs, but still tend to use Eastern White Cedar because it bends better (less brittle).

Didn't think the photos looked like Kauai! Why the name?
Regardless - just looking at those pictures puts me in a calm, quiet gliding place in my mind. Thank you!

When I turned this into a regular business instead of a sideline or a paying hobby, we were working as caretakers at a canoe camp on Lake Temagami in Northern Ontario. It was on an island called Garden Island. They were one of my customers. The other camp that I still do canoe work for is on Devil's Island. I thought that was a little bit heavy metal for the kind of thing I'm doing.
The Temagami region is one of North America's canoeing paradises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Temagami

Wouldn't be in the market for something in that range at this time due to wedding and other things to pay for, but they're certainly beautiful canoes.

Why don't you just live in sin and get a canoe instead?

Okay, now you may have crossed the line. Where's that ban hammer?

Not really. I thought it was funny as hell.

Bilby and I love kayaking and our kayaks actually come from the states.

I miss quiet paddling up and down a calm river. I am hoping to get permission from the surgeon next year! It’s my biggest physical goal after all the damage to my knee.

Bilby and I love kayaking and our kayaks actually come from the states.

I miss quiet paddling up and down a calm river. I am hoping to get permission from the surgeon next year! It’s my biggest physical goal after all the damage to my knee.

Well, at least you can't kick. (Sorry.)

???

Back
Top Bottom