• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anyone else guilty of online shipment stalking?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I have found, based on just how important a shipment is, I can become a bit obsessive, and can be guilty of stalking the shipment of the package heading to my home.

It starts innocently enough. You order something, and you get the confirmation email. There is naturally some anxiety and excitement.

And you check your emails to see when it ships. Nothing, then you go online to the site to look at the order. No info that it shipped.

Then an email comes, it has shipped! You immediately click the track shipment button. FUCK! Only the label has been printed.

You know in your mind that it'll take time, but you are hopeful that maybe it was already in a truck, on its way. You check out the receive by date. It is late this week.

Okay... I can wait.

*I am waiting*

It has been a couple hours, I wonder if it has been picked up yet. DAMN IT! Still just a label printed.

The cycle just continues and continues. Every day, looking for progress in the updates... every hour. You don't mean to be stalking the poor package, or to be personally responsible for 61% of all the package tracking inquiries this week, you just really care to know every moment whether there is an update. Did it get to Chicago? When does it arrive at the local warehouse?!

Knowledge is power, and I'm desperate to know when my package will be here. Yes, I'm perfectly well aware that they have an estimated date for delivery. But, it could happen a day early, and it'd be like the greatest thing ever in my life! In the history of the world! I can say with certainty, that those who found the tomb was empty and Jesus was resurrected, would have been happier if their shipment of any important object arrived a day or two before the estimated delivery date.

*waits*

Attachments

• 0283c524-dbb7-41d2-b920-e1eed5f0efaa.2a73722456851d6dde48325718b1fe1f.jpeg
    0283c524-dbb7-41d2-b920-e1eed5f0efaa.2a73722456851d6dde48325718b1fe1f.jpeg
    241.2 KB · Views: 4
Knowledge is power, and I'm desperate to know when my package will be here. Yes, I'm perfectly well aware that they have an estimated date for delivery. But, it could happen a day early, and it'd be like the greatest thing ever in my life! In the history of the world! I can say with certainty, that those who found the tomb was empty and Jesus was resurrected, would have been happier if their shipment of any important object arrived a day or two before the estimated delivery date.

Considering that by prophecy he was supposed to be in the ground for three days but was apparently out by Sunday Morning after having been deposited there late Friday evening, it could be argued that they did receive an early package, and that this is what all the subsequent hooplah was about.

And yes, I stalk the packages of delivery men most assiduously.

I recently explained what I was doing and how I was trying imagine the algorithms that led to all the transfers that somehow work out. The response was "How do you keep an idiot occupied?" My colleagues in the industrial engineering department would not be amused.

They split my shipment. I hate when they split my shipment. And what I really want is coming last, of course. And what I just got has to go back. And it’s all west coast stuff. Ruined my day.

Ever follow the UPS truck around on line? He just bounces all around the neighborhood with no rhyme or reason. I swear, I think he’s just doing it to piss me off.

I have a rather large package coming (linked in OP, and it too, is a two package setup), and the thing is creeping across the west. Originally a delivery set for today on the initial paperwork, but then shifted to Sunday, then Monday, and I'm wondering if it'll make it by then. The last update I saw was "Mules getting a rest." :eek:

I do it pretty much daily.

Presently stalking a "two day shipment" that I ordered last Friday.

My goodness, I had never stalked a package online like that in my life. Fedex IT is probably wondering why the tracking numbers mysteriously dropped so much Monday afternoon.

What I found interesting was the info provided on the mobile app didn't match via a desktop.

Well, how about a non-tracking number? :)

It's been a week. They generated the UPS label. That's it.

Your shipment is on its way, someone printed a label!

What?! Printing a label is not shipping! If I print a diagram for a bridge, that can't be billed as building a bridge!

What?! Printing a label is not shipping! If I print a diagram for a bridge, that can't be billed as building a bridge!

This recently happened to me. It took six days from my item be listed as “Shipped” to it actually being shipped. What did happen on day one when someone entered it into the system as shipped was my credit card being charged. Unsportsmanlike conduct in my book and perhaps in the credit card issuer’s too.

This recently happened to me. It took six days from my item be listed as “Shipped” to it actually being shipped. What did happen on day one when someone entered it into the system as shipped was my credit card being charged. Unsportsmanlike conduct in my book and perhaps in the credit card issuer’s too.

Yeah, the card has been charged.

Sure on some things I closely watch delivery status. I usually check my orders on Amazon every other day or so. Sometimes more if delivery is a range of days and something I really want or need. I remember early in the pandemic waiting for Purell and masks to arrive. In some cases they got stuck and never arrived at all. On Christmas I watched a present for my kids get stuck and then ultimately delivered to some unsuspecting person Kansas City. I contacted the seller who sent a new one to me. The seller also alerted me to be on the lookout for the thing that the parson in Kansas City had ordered but it never arrived.

Finally got contacted by the department store we ordered the washer/dryer combo from on may 1st. Delivery is scheduled for a week from today.

Yeah, the card has been charged.

Took two weeks. Picker here, at least we won't lose any peaches to being where I can't set the ladder close enough. The birds already demolished the apricots that were eluding us.

I often track the parcel. It helps heaps tbh. And I love it when Australia Post texts me to say it’s being delivered today. I can then ask my neighbour to keep an eye out for it as he works from home. I also get a text saying it’s delivered so if I am home, I can race downstairs to get it.

Fastest shipment I got was some jigsaws from Mighty Ape. Ordered Sunday, in my hand Wednesday. It came from NZ, arrived in the country Monday night, cleared customs and got to me 48 hours later. That was pretty good.

I often track the parcel. It helps heaps tbh. And I love it when Australia Post texts me to say it’s being delivered today. I can then ask my neighbour to keep an eye out for it as he works from home. I also get a text saying it’s delivered so if I am home, I can race downstairs to get it.

USPS has a very nice service here--you can sign up for e-mails showing most things which are supposed to be in that day's mail delivery. Anything with tracking shows up as well as anything smaller than a little less than half a sheet of paper. There's a small range above that where you get a no-image placeholder, anything bigger doesn't show at all. No charge--they're just sending out info they already have in their system.

Last edited:

UPS has a very nice service here--you can sign up for e-mails showing most things which are supposed to be in that day's mail delivery. Anything with tracking shows up as well as anything smaller than a little less than half a sheet of paper. There's a small range above that where you get a no-image placeholder, anything bigger doesn't show at all. No charge--they're just sending out info they already have in their system.

USPS does similar and you can give them your phone number for text service.

Argh!! I meant USPS, not UPS! I didn't know they offered text, I like the e-mail version anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom