• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Anyone looking to sell a laptop?

braces_for_impact

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Well, it's tax time, and I need a new computer to continue my studies and keep the family entertained. (I'm currently pursuing my A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications)

I'm trying to spend as little as possible of course, because we use our tax money to pay ahead on our bills by several months and then set most of the rest aside for emergencies, which seem to happen with far too much regularity.

I do some video editing, use my laptop for studying and running networking scenarios, life in general, and moderate gaming. My current laptop has a 2.2 Ghz quad core and Nvidea Quadro 1000M, (2GB) dedicated graphics card. I had added extra ram (Total 12GB) and and 480GB SSD. I plan to be putting the SSD in my new laptop. I'd like a bit of a better processor this time and at least equal graphics capability, although I would prefer a bit better.

I know my needs are pretty specific, but I can't afford the price points I'm seeing online ($600.00 and up) so far, although I'll keep looking. I don't mind refurbished or gently used. Maybe I'll check Craigslist. Thus far I've looked at Amazon, Newegg, and Ebay. In any case, on the off chance that someone is looking to unload something similar to the above let me know what price might be acceptable. Before anyone mentions it, yes I know I could build a PC with nicer specs for cheaper than a laptop but I need portability, and I also have a rather small place with a family of four in it, and I have no desk or anything like that to put a desktop on.

So if anyone is looking to unload anything like this, let me know. I'm not sure how much longer my current laptop will last, it's had power issues and I've resoldered connections a few times already and it's only a matter of time before it's toast.

So: Quad core better than 2.2Ghz, Discrete graphics card 2Gb and up, Hard drive doesn't really matter since it will be replaced. Feel free to contact publicly here, by PM, or email at ronjrose@gmail.com. P.S. I do not have a seperate copy of windows to load on to a machine, soI would have to have a machine with windows pre-installed with the drive wiped.

Mods: Sorry f this is against any rules or needs to be moved.

Thank You.

Can you limp along for a while longer on your current laptop?

There are a variety of factors driving prices a little nuts right now.

Later this year, we should start seeing a new generation of CPUs that will hopefully address Meltdown and Spectre. The patch doesn't really affect the performance of CPUs for most people, but I think heavy number crunching from video editing is one of the things that are affected by the Meltdown and Spectre patches.

They just announced WPA3. No idea when we'll start seeing routers and laptops with WPA3.

Yeah I know. I was thinking of that myself. I've soldered the power connection on this one three times already, I don't think I'll be able to fix it a fourth time. Good news though is I found a slightly better model el cheapo, which is great. Almost same specs as above, $243.00. I can do that.

I gave up on eBay. Every time I see something that I want, I end up losing bids to those bots.

Back
Top Bottom