• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Are over the top loving compliments dishonest?

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
e.g.

7:09 mom says "I tell Sophia that she's the most beautiful girl in the world every single day"

7:50 brother says "she is the most beautiful-ist girl I've ever seem in my whole life"

The host 8:20 "you're perfect just the way your are"

10:45 brother says "I just can't stop looking at her cause she's super super cute"

11:05 sister says "she's beautiful just the way you are"

I am impressed with how nice and loving these people are but personally I have quite a bit of trouble saying things like that if I don't believe it.... I might say they're "lovely" - I guess "special" could also fit....

Some people take “beauty” or “perfect” to mean something very narrow, very shallow. Other people consider “beauty” to be an experience that a person exudes through many traits. Like when people become more beautiful when they are talking about something that brings them joy, and when their beauty is seen through their actions.

I, too have a hard time saying something I don’t mean, but I have an easy time seeing beauty in people.

IME people who praise and flatter effusively are the first to turn ugly when their stars don’t line up.
That said, please go ahead and tell me how handsome, smart, funny and important I am. :)

Some people take “beauty” or “perfect” to mean something very narrow, very shallow. Other people consider “beauty” to be an experience that a person exudes through many traits. Like when people become more beautiful when they are talking about something that brings them joy, and when their beauty is seen through their actions.

I, too have a hard time saying something I don’t mean, but I have an easy time seeing beauty in people.
Yeah I guess "beauty" doesn't necessarily just mean how good looking and attractive their outward appearance is.

From Google - "beautiful" means "pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically" e.g. "beautiful poetry"

There is more beauty in any of those who are monstrous to look upon, yet who love their neighbors than among all the people combined who do not bear this love!

There is more beauty in any of those who are monstrous to look upon, yet who love their neighbors than among all the people combined who do not bear this love!

Here is a more extreme example - though he has a nice and happy personality:

I am impressed with how nice and loving these people are but personally I have quite a bit of trouble saying things like that if I don't believe it.... I might say they're "lovely" - I guess "special" could also fit....

That poor girl had a short and difficult life. Under the circumstances, her family are doing what they can, trying to be loving and kind. And they sound sincere too. As an outsider meeting her for the first time, I wouldn't have any qualms about saying whatever would comfort the poor girl and the family.

Back
Top Bottom