• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Artists and crafters shoud not be asked to do favors without geting paid...

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Generally speaking I agree with this. Particularly if they are a professional. One shouldn’t say, “Oh. Would you make me one of those?” Or “can you make a thing like this for me?”

With one rather striking exception:

If that requesting person had just written a check north of $20,000 to pay for your tuition to art school and they ask you to do a photoshop of a picture of your sister, the answer there is not, “I’ll need some remuneration,” it’s “yes, mom.” This one is not a favor, it’s a patronage.

Generally speaking I agree with this. Particularly if they are a professional. One shouldn’t say, “Oh. Would you make me one of those?” Or “can you make a thing like this for me?”

With one rather striking exception:

If that requesting person had just written a check north of $20,000 to pay for your tuition to art school and they ask you to do a photoshop of a picture of your sister, the answer there is not, “I’ll need some remuneration,” it’s “yes, mom.” This one is not a favor, it’s a patronage.

Indeed.

But at least you won't have to worry that others might get away with wheedling for freebies.

I spend a lot of time in crafting groups on fb and this is one of the most common rants.

I get upset when my best friend doesn’t charge me full price for my beauty therapy! I would pay anyone for their craftiness! It’s simply because I don’t have a good crafty bone in my body so I am more than happy to pay someone for their time and materials.

I've been told that it's perfectly acceptable to read an author's work in a bookstore without paying for it.

Because "Information Wants to Be Free™", as I understand it.

That's right up there with:

Bar Owner: Hey band - why don't you play in my bar for free - It'll be great exposure for you! btw... beer isn't free for the band.

It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer... but god forbid you ask a plumber to add a bathroom to your house while he is visiting on Thanksgiving....

It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer... but god forbid you ask a plumber to add a bathroom to your house while he is visiting on Thanksgiving....

My father in law is terrible for that. He seems to think that because I work in IT, I will want nothing more than to spend my weekends doing for him for free, what I am paid a lot of money to do during the week.

And because I work in IT, only my services will do - his wife, daughter and two sons can all tell him "just restart the computer and see if that fixes it"; but no, he has to wait a week for me to be there, and have me restart his computer, because I am the computer expert.

I finally told him that I won't even look at it until gmbteach has tried (and failed) to fix it first - and so far, she's never failed (99.99% of the problems are PEBKAC).

It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer...

I tend to bring that on myself because I like helping people.

You are no help by doing... you must educate them to help themselves. What's that expression? Give a person fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a person on fire and they will be warm for the rest of their life.

My father in law is terrible for that. He seems to think that because I work in IT, I will want nothing more than to spend my weekends doing for him for free, what I am paid a lot of money to do during the week.

And because I work in IT, only my services will do - his wife, daughter and two sons can all tell him "just restart the computer and see if that fixes it"; but no, he has to wait a week for me to be there, and have me restart his computer, because I am the computer expert.

I finally told him that I won't even look at it until gmbteach has tried (and failed) to fix it first - and so far, she's never failed (99.99% of the problems are PEBKAC).

And now he takes delight in informing us when he has fixed a problem by himself by rebooting!

It's worse for IT folk... Everyone wants you to fix something or explain something on their computer...

I tend to bring that on myself because I like helping people.

You are no help by doing... you must educate them to help themselves.

I do that. Helping and teaching people how to help themselves are complementary; I myself learn a lot when others explain solutions to problems--that's pretty much how I gained a lot of my user and programming knowledge.

I'm the IT support guy for my father/mother in law, my parents, my fiancee, and one of my sisters-in-law.

At least my father-in-law occasionally fixes stuff for me too.

I got my father a computer many years ago, Windows 3.1 days. Boy, was that a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom