• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bar code emergencies

Keith&Co.

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
I'm here...
My supermarket allows shopping by a hand scanner. Every item i pick up, scan the bar code, bag it. I hand over the scanner at the end, don't have to put anything on the coneyor belt, no hamfisted teen puts potatoes on my eggs, no remarks from the cashier about how many cookies in the order ("Dad's night to cook, huh?").

The only problem, any time i pick up box, jar, pouch, carton, or bottle, it seems like the pricing code is ALWAYS under my hand. No matter what.
For, like, three products in a row, it's on the bottom, so the next thing i grab by the top specifically...and it'z under my thumb.
Just about every time. Like a magnet.
I put my hand out, either at random, or carefully, and it's covering a bar code.

There should be studies done. This cannot just be me. Maybe it's a human tendency. We could use this.
Stickers on escape routes, stickers on emergency flashlights. While you're feeling around for what you need, BAM! There's where your hand needs to go. Emergency shutdown buttons.
And for shipping. In addition to >This Side Up< and >No Hooks< we could improve the package by forcing their handholds to occur HERE. and HERE, on the stickers.

And if you're a rowdy drunk, put bar codes on your arms, so they grab you there, not by the scruff of the neck....

I think we should study this more. You may have identified a fifth fundamental force.

They should print barcodes on all sides of the package...

That would be even worse. If you have a cuboid package with a barcode on each of the six sides, five of them will be misprinted or smudged.

Take your articles to the counter and let them worry about, doing the job they are paid to do.

But then some psychotic bags my stuff. Someone who failed or skipped every physics class.
Worse, this year, two more people TOUCH my stuff, scanning it and bagging it.
I'm spoiled. I want at least the illusion that i am in charge of my destiny and my eggs.

They should print barcodes on all sides of the package...

That would be even worse. If you have a cuboid package with a barcode on each of the six sides, five of them will be misprinted or smudged.
I could tell my just-short-of-a-conspiracy nut coworker that ONE of the six codes is actually a discount code for the elites.... but it only works if it's tge first one you scan....

Back
Top Bottom