• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Being God/godlike and forgetting about it...

I do note that he does say that those souls in this Eternal Hell want to be there, are sadomasochists, are there of their own choosing, so it is not as harsh as it might appear to be at first glance. Not nearly as harsh as the Christian Hell. Presumably, they could even leave if they decide they wanted to leave. It would take a lot more knowledge of his ideas than I have to ascertain whether or not that is true.

I do note that he does say that those souls in this Eternal Hell want to be there, are sadomasochists, are there of their own choosing, so it is not as harsh as it might appear to be at first glance. Not nearly as harsh as the Christian Hell. Presumably, they could even leave if they decide they wanted to leave. It would take a lot more knowledge of his ideas than I have to ascertain whether or not that is true.
Thanks for the clarification. So it seems that doesn't affect what I'm saying in the Pascal's Wager thread.

This might be a New Age idea.... and maybe involved in some religions - particularly eastern ones.... is there a technical term for this? I wanted to explore this ancient concept...

It is basically saying that a god (or a god-like being) exists - and it is you - but you forgot it.... (though perhaps in New Age, etc, other people are also gods/God as well)

There are two examples of this concept that are related to possibly being in a simulation.

The first is the "Roy game". In Rick and Morty, Morty is forced to become "Roy" and he soon forgets his original identity:

I think Alan Watts' dream thought experiment could be implemented in a simulation..... it would start off with the person fulfilling their wildest dreams then later having adventures that could involve fantasy creatures like dragons and eventually you'd want to have surprises and eventually live lives where you forgot your original identity....

In both scenarios I guess forgetting your original identity makes the life more immersive and makes the eventual restoration of your memories a pleasant or at least interesting surprise.

I think those two scenarios also address the problem of evil and suffering.... the person consented to living a life involving significant suffering. Or at least Rick did when he forced Morty into the game.

Perhaps it could be said that Morty isn't godlike after he's out of the game though he is the only real character in the game. Theoretically it is possible he could come back into the game and use cheats/hacks/mods to have god like abilities....

Not really related but here is a Groundhog Day scene where Phil says he is a god:
Though Groundhog Day could be easily implemented in a simulation.

I think in New Age they can call their "godhood" their "higher self" ?

Forget about it? But then we do not know the TRUTH what is god without the truth.
Hi . I have been researching for many years and I believe I have the answers for you.
What who when how and why we exist.
I will try a short summary of my conclusions.
1.deconstruction… flesh>atoms>subatomic particles >
Subatomic electromagnetic energy waves > consciousness…..
2. Physical is just a perception of vibrating energy.
10011100011 angstroms decibels firing synapses > all just subatomic electromagnetic energy waves.
We are a singularity that is creating our consciousness by vibrating.
I think therefore I am.. everything is a product of our thinking.
There is more such as the past is over doesn’t exist anymore > the future doesn’t exist yet.
Only now ever exists.. now after now .. we are an ever expanding singularity consciousness.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed so the purpose of the universe is to make our existence as a singularity (1) in a universe of nothingness (0) 1100011100
A more enjoyable experience…. Eternity is a long time to be lonely and bored.

Back
Top Bottom