• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Biden's address to Congress

Treedbear

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
secular, humanist, agnostic on theism/atheism
Very comprehensive speech. He covered a lot of policy ground in 65 minutes. Everything was positive instead of the pettiness and backstabbing we've been used to for the past 4 years. Anyone betting on him displaying some level of cognitive disability went away sadly disappointed. Time to start feeling good about America again.

Have not seen the speech, but I have heard that he
- is pushing new entitlements for irresponsible breeders in addition to the already enacted $3000-$3600 per child reward for unprotected sex. I do not see why my tax dollars should pay to reward other people for having many children!
- is blaming everything on "white supremacist" boogeyman and ignoring Islamic terrorism and left-wing (#BLM and Antifa) extremism even though the former were responsible for 9/11 among many other attacks and the latter caused billions in damage and many deaths during last year's violent "George Floyd" riots. All extremism should be condemned. To ignore and downplay certain extremists just because they are your constituency is very Trump-like.

What else was he talking about?

- is pushing new entitlements for irresponsible breeders in addition to the already enacted $3000-$3600 per child reward for unprotected sex. I do not see why my tax dollars should pay to reward other people for having many children!
- is blaming everything on "white supremacist" boogeyman and ignoring Islamic terrorism and left-wing (#BLM and Antifa) extremism even though the former were responsible for 9/11 among many other attacks and the latter caused billions in damage and many deaths during last year's violent "George Floyd" riots. All extremism should be condemned. To ignore and downplay certain extremists just because they are your constituency is very Trump-like.

After some point in your life, you will be dependent upon children born today and over the next 10-20 years as well as those born in the last decade or more for your medical care, to provide and run infrastructure, to run society when you are too old and too ill to do so. If we want our society to keep functioning, we need to encourage the next generations. And to make it possible to raise children decently.

After some point in your life, you will be dependent upon children born today and over the next 10-20 years as well as those born in the last decade or more for your medical care, to provide and run infrastructure, to run society when you are too old and too ill to do so. If we want our society to keep functioning, we need to encourage the next generations. And to make it possible to raise children decently.

I understand all that. I am in favor of free K-12 education, free community college and subsidized public 4 year and graduate universities. I am also in favor of some help to parents.

But US already had plenty of those. EITC is much more generous and has much higher income caps for people with children than the child-free, and so are other forms of public assistance like food stamps and Medicaid. Then there is child tax credit, which is "refundable" meaning you may have a negative effective income tax rate!

All that has existed already. No need to add more and more subsidies for people having many children. Note that the Biden $3000-$3600 per child entitlement (which he wants to make permanent) is not phased out by number of children, which means that it is more beneficial to those having a lot of children than those having few because marginal costs of n+1th child goes down substantially with increasing n.
So in effect it encourages people to pop out a lot of kids.

Like that drug dealer in North Carolina who got shot during a warrant service. 7 children! Seven! That's $21k- $25k in free (to him, in reality paid for by taxpayers like me) money.
So he has tax free illicit earnings and 5 figures bonus for having a lot of sex without a condom, while us taxpayers have to subsidize his lifestyle. Only in America!

Very comprehensive speech. He covered a lot of policy ground in 65 minutes. Everything was positive instead of the pettiness and backstabbing we've been used to for the past 4 years. Anyone betting on him displaying some level of cognitive disability went away sadly disappointed. Time to start feeling good about America again.

Cue Trump and the Republicans to start criticizing politicians who use teleprompters again.

Like that drug dealer in North Carolina who got shot during a warrant service. 7 children! Seven! That's $21k- $25k in free (to him, in reality paid for by taxpayers like me) money.
So he has tax free illicit earnings and 5 figures bonus for having a lot of sex without a condom, while us taxpayers have to subsidize his lifestyle. Only in America!

Is this the rule or the exception to the rule? Is it only drug dealers with 7 kids who benefit from this? What bout the Mormons I see walking around here with their 8-9 kids? Fuckin thugs.

Sorry, shouldn't derail the thread.

Yeah, what do we keep hearing from the right-wing... America forgot the working class. These programs benefit whites (the poor drug addicted ones, the poor working ones, the better off but far from well off working ones) just as much as it benefits anyone that has different shades of color to their skin, also regardless how hard working they are or aren't.

White America is angry! Very angry! Furious about the lie that the government continues to forget them as Biden just gives help to the blacks.

Biden is giving a helping hand to almost all families in this country. This isn't about race! This about a Government that is starting to recognize that workers in America aren't compensated as much as they were, and at some can't even afford to work because daycare costs are through the roofs and wages are still so low, for yes... low skill work... because not everyone is bright enough to be a doctor. And that hard work and dedication does NOT get you as far as it did 40 years ago.

This isn't about race. This is a struggle for tens of millions of Americans (not whites or blacks), and assisting Middle Class Americans that are doing everything they can but any assistance they get would provide opportunity for either a second worker in the family or that money just flushes right back into the economy (and again, Middle Class... any race).

Is this the rule or the exception to the rule? Is it only drug dealers with 7 kids who benefit from this? What bout the Mormons I see walking around here with their 8-9 kids? Fuckin thugs.

What about the thuggish Catholics with their dozen children?

But seriously, I do agree this is a benefit that should phase out with more children, but you know what would happen. The religious right would say they are being told how many children to have: “only communists have child quotas”, “only god can determine how many children I will have” and such...

This isn't about race.

It's always about race, for racists. If you're not punishing minorities for destroying property in response to being murdered, you're attacking white people.
Letting them procreate is an assault on the rightful order of things.

(never mind about those cat-lickers and their dozens of spawn)

What about the thuggish Catholics with their dozen children?

But seriously, I do agree this is a benefit that should phase out with more children, but you know what would happen. The religious right would say they are being told how many children to have: “only communists have child quotas”, “only god can determine how many children I will have” and such...

oh shit! the catholics! yeah we gotta control those virgin worshipers.

i also think it should phase out with number of kids. [sarcasm] however, if 0.5% of the people receiving the benefits are doing so nefariously then we obviously should cut everyone off from that benefit. [\sarcasm]

as a well-off, hetero, white man in a DINK relationship i'm basically paying for other people's children but i totally understand the need for myself to contribute.

And as a dual income two kids family I can tell you I’m definitely not making money from having kids, even with the tax credit.

Yeah, what do we keep hearing from the right-wing... America forgot the working class. These programs benefit whites (the poor drug addicted ones, the poor working ones, the better off but far from well off working ones) just as much as it benefits anyone that has different shades of color to their skin, also regardless how hard working they are or aren't.

White America is angry! Very angry! Furious about the lie that the government continues to forget them as Biden just gives help to the blacks.

Biden is giving a helping hand to almost all families in this country. This isn't about race! This about a Government that is starting to recognize that workers in America aren't compensated as much as they were, and at some can't even afford to work because daycare costs are through the roofs and wages are still so low, for yes... low skill work... because not everyone is bright enough to be a doctor. And that hard work and dedication does NOT get you as far as it did 40 years ago.

This isn't about race. This is a struggle for tens of millions of Americans (not whites or blacks), and assisting Middle Class Americans that are doing everything they can but any assistance they get would provide opportunity for either a second worker in the family or that money just flushes right back into the economy (and again, Middle Class... any race).

Politicians don't genuinely care about poor whites, any more than thery do poor anyones. The "way of life" stuff has never been anything but race-baiting propaganda. If we're fighting each other, we aren't scrutinizing them.

I also oppose the increased child tax credit. "Fuck your snot-nosed shitty kids", I always say. There should be a tax PENALTY for having more than 2 kids, not a tax CREDIT for fucks sake.

I have no idea what you are talking about regarding terrorism... that was not a topic, or is was so brief I sneezed and missed it.

The other things were about investing in America First (making it illegal for the Feds to buy foreign before attempting to buy American), allowing medicaid to negotiate drug prices to lower prescription cost for everyone (not just those on medicaid).
Most interestingly, JOBS. JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. Millions of new jobs, 75% of which do not need a college diploma, and 75% of those do not even need an associates degree. All of these jobs will be in construction to build bridges, fix roads, and build up "green" infrastructure.

A great line from the speech, "There is no reason windmill blades can't be built in Pittsburg instead of Beijing".

I also oppose the increased child tax credit. "Fuck your snot-nosed shitty kids", I always say. There should be a tax PENALTY for having more than 2 kids, not a tax CREDIT for fucks sake.
So three kids is excessive?

Also, the cost of daycare is so high, it can literally be a situation of someone being unable to afford to work for a second income. This is 2021 economy and people need to stop thinking this is the 1980s or 1960s, people need to throw out the "when I was that age" bullshit as when they were that age, minimum wage wasn't quite the joke it is today and manufacturing jobs existing in the US... and people weren't forced to drive as a taxi to try to make 'a little extra money'. People can't afford to work, others aren't able to afford getting paid what they get paid. That is absurd!

Yes! BLM and Antifa are just like white supremacist and Islamic terrorist groups! (with the exception of all the murders, death, torture and other mundane things!)

That's ok. The purpose of posting the topic was to provide Derec with a forum to spew his venomous hate. Nothing to do with the actual speech. Carry on.

GOP eedjit Stephen Miller "Biden's speech lacked human warmth".

Actually, If Biden had gotten any warmer, we would have all melted down into puddles of love.

MSNBC just reported Biden's speech has a 85% approval rating among Americans. That must chap these GOP morons' asses big time.

Back
Top Bottom