• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Brain-in-a-vat argument v. Our universe is a simulation

Speakpigeon

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Rationality (i.e. facts + logic), Scepticism (not just about God but also everything beyond my subjective experience)
There is a fundamental difference the Brain-in-a-vat argument and the idea that our entire world is a simulation running on a computer.

The Brain-in-a-vat seems within the reach of even human technology. In other words, it is a highly convincing and realistic scenario. A brain in a vat would presumably take the simulated physical world to be the actual world.

The idea of a simulation, that the world itself, including the brain experiencing this world, could be a simulation is much more fantastic and therefore somewhat more difficult to accept as a possibility.

The main sticking point, however, is that we still have no explanation as to how our subjective experience could possibly be a property or consequence of the way our brain works. The idea of a simulation requires that we accept the idea that our subjective experience would be a creation of the simulation and therefore, fundamentally, an illusion.

In the Brain-in-a-vat, the nature, or indeed natures, of both our brain and our subjective experience remain exactly as we believe them to be. With the idea of a simulation, both our subjective experience and the physical world are turned into illusions.

The Brain-in-a-vat, although more realistic and conceivable, is nonetheless more metaphorical in its motivation. It doesn't even try to suggest that you really are a brain in a vat. Rather, it is an argument, a logical argument to explain why we cannot be certain of the reality of our perception of the physical world and, hence, of the reality of the physical world itself as we think of it.

The idea of the simulation is not an argument. It is a metaphysical claim about reality. A such, it is to be seen as connected with the idea that consciousness is a process and, therefore, to the idea that computers can become conscious. All that would be required would be that the software got to a sort of critical threshold of complexity.

The Brain-in-a-vat, on the contrary, suggests a decisive epistemological dualism between our own mind that we know and that we therefore know that it exists (Descartes' "I think, therefore I am") and the material world that we can only believe in, and that therefore we don't know that this material world really exists.

In effect, these two ideas are polar opposite. The Brain-in-a-vat says the physical world may not exist, while the simulation says that our subjective experience may be just an illusion.

To the extent that they are polar opposite, I don't see how anyone could see these two ideas as equally convincing. If you find them equally convincing, it is likely because you haven't understood at least one of them.
EB

Surely the brain in a vat is a special case - a proper subset - of the universe as simulation. It's the simplest such simulated universe, in which there is only one brain, and a bunch of simulated 'brain like' entities that act in a way that is minimally sufficient to give the impression of being intelligent agents, but for which we have no evidence that they are.

The only difference in this simplest case is that the simulated universe may run on non-brain architecture, with the brain itself a part of the simulation. But as we have no access to any information that would let us determine the difference, that difference is meaningless.

Similarly, the more complex scenarios in which a simulated universe simulates many brains, but each only has access to itself, is not meaningfully different for the thinker from the simpler scenarios.

Or am I missing something?

Two old scifi movies Donavan's Brain and The Brain That Would not die, plus the modern Matrix movies.

Modern science says all of mind is chemical sates in the brain. Ever had a realistic dream? When I was in the hospital I stared hallucinating from the drugs. It was as clear as being awake and alert. If I were in a coma stuck in that state I would have no way of knowing.

What is reality? There is actual physical reality other than our human perceptions, and there are models of reality based on the brain chemistry. Selective and objective are arbitrary terms that are useful in discussions.

Seeing a baseball coming towards your head is objective perception of reality. Feeling bad when your favorite sports team loses us subjective. Interpreting body language of another and tone of voice is subjective perception.

Our brain simulates reality and projects the future. From a show there is an area in the brain where we develop our model or paradigm of reality.
To me the argument is like a dog chasing its tail. it goes real fast and enjoys it, but never gets it.

All human thought is in the end self referential. There are no absolute mental reference points.

A simple test for subjective and objective reakity. Stand in front of a wall. Imagine running into the wall and record how you feel. Then put your head down and run into the wall. Record how you feel Compare the two.

Two old scifi movies Donavan's Brain and The Brain That Would not die, plus the modern Matrix movies.

Modern science says all of mind is chemical sates in the brain. Ever had a realistic dream? When I was in the hospital I stared hallucinating from the drugs. It was as clear as being awake and alert. If I were in a coma stuck in that state I would have no way of knowing.

What is reality? There is actual physical reality other than our human perceptions, and there are models of reality based on the brain chemistry. Selective and objective are arbitrary terms that are useful in discussions.

Seeing a baseball coming towards your head is objective perception of reality. Feeling bad when your favorite sports team loses us subjective. Interpreting body language of another and tone of voice is subjective perception.

Our brain simulates reality and projects the future. From a show there is an area in the brain where we develop our model or paradigm of reality.
To me the argument is like a dog chasing its tail. it goes real fast and enjoys it, but never gets it.

All human thought is in the end self referential. There are no absolute mental reference points.

A simple test for subjective and objective reakity. Stand in front of a wall. Imagine running into the wall and record how you feel. Then put your head down and run into the wall. Record how you feel Compare the two.

Why did you post this list of non-sequiturs?

Are these placeholder references to things in your mind? You are aware, are you not, that nobody else has access to the things you are thinking?

Well, what about them? Can we please at least get a verb? My English teacher was adamant that most sentences should have at least one verb. Without a verb you haven't actually said anything, even if it seems very likely that you thought about saying something.

Presumably a brain in a Vat experiencing a Universe is a part of some universe?

What if it's a part of the universe it is simulating?

Recursion can be fun ;)

Yep.

Or a Super Civilzation evolves to the point where they can simulate a Universe, go back in 'time' and initiate the very same universe from which they emerged. A self created species.

OOOHHH Noooo! What if I am somebody's AI PHD project?

Asking unanswerable questions is one way to pass the time.

Apparently the idea was that one needed a vat for a brain to provide necessary ingredients for the brain to function. Also makers apparently wanted us to consider a human brain disembodied. With those considerations it is obvious that the brain in a vat is unworkable since a brain without sensory or effector organs can neither sense or execute or, more simply, is just a piece of meat.

Apparently the idea was that one needed a vat for a brain to provide necessary ingredients for the brain to function. Also makers apparently wanted us to consider a human brain disembodied. With those considerations it is obvious that the brain in a vat is unworkable since a brain without sensory or effector organs can neither sense or execute or, more simply, is just a piece of meat.

The old movie Donavan's Brain. Brain in fluids in a glass container. Develops ability to control people.

The old movie Donavan's Brain. Brain in fluids in a glass container. Develops ability to control people.

One verb for three sentences still isn't enough for anyone to actually understand what you are trying to say.

You seriously need to get your verb:sentence ratio above unity.

Surely the brain in a vat is a special case - a proper subset - of the universe as simulation. It's the simplest such simulated universe, in which there is only one brain, and a bunch of simulated 'brain like' entities that act in a way that is minimally sufficient to give the impression of being intelligent agents, but for which we have no evidence that they are.

The only difference in this simplest case is that the simulated universe may run on non-brain architecture, with the brain itself a part of the simulation. But as we have no access to any information that would let us determine the difference, that difference is meaningless.

Similarly, the more complex scenarios in which a simulated universe simulates many brains, but each only has access to itself, is not meaningfully different for the thinker from the simpler scenarios.

Or am I missing something?

You're not missing the similarity between these two scenarios.

However, and that was my point, these two things are very different.

No one really ever claimed you had your brain in a vat. It is of course a possibility, but a very remote possibility and one which is never considered seriously. The scenario is a thought experiment. It is only used as an argument to help people understand the idea that if you have brain, you only ever get to be conscious of, and therefore to know, whatever impressions the brain makes up within itself, and thus, you don't know the physical universe that we are all very certain that it exists.

Very different is the idea that we are, together with the entire world, part of a simulation. It is regarded by some people as probable. There is no argument there, just a metaphysical claim these people try to make credible. Whether the universe is a physical reality or a simulation, our epistemological relation to it is essentially the same.
EB

One verb for three sentences still isn't enough for anyone to actually understand what you are trying to say.

You seriously need to get your verb:sentence ratio above unity.

Got his point across though.

Yet we do experience the world through a brain generated simulation of the world.

I agree, but it is always semantics.

The 'we' is a function of brain. Language is hopelessly self referential.

Yet we do experience the world through a brain generated simulation of the world.

Metaphysical belief.

If all you know is a simulated content, how could you possibly know anything about what does the simulation? How could you even possibly know it is something like a simulation? Even if it was written in the sky, in all the human languages on Earth, that "Hey, guys, LOL, it's a simulation!", we would still not know it's a simulation.
EB

Metaphysical belief.

If all you know is a simulated content, how could you possibly know anything about what does the simulation? How could you even possibly know it is something like a simulation? Even if it was written in the sky, in all the human languages on Earth, that "Hey, guys, LOL, it's a simulation!", we would still not know it's a simulation.
EB

Rather than being a metaphysical belief our brain generated experience of the world and self is a fully testable neurological reality.

Back
Top Bottom