• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Breakdown In Civil Order

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
On the other side of the country, the new Manhattan DA is downgrading armed robbery to shoplifting.

Robbery Charge Reduced Under New Manhattan DA's Reform Policies: Sources

NBC New York said:
Investigators say another armed robbery case in Manhattan has been reduced to a charge of shoplifting by the new Manhattan district attorney.

Investigators say this time it was a suspect who wielded a pocketknife while stealing about $2,000 worth of cold medicine from a Duane Reade along Delancey Street in Lower Manhattan over the weekend. Video from inside the store shows the manager who was allegedly threatened by the suspect.

Police arrested 43-year-old William Rolon, saying it was the second time he hit the store — and his 39th arrest overall. But instead of charging Rolon with robbery, sources said prosecutors dropped the charges to petit larceny – a misdemeanor – even though the manager told police she was terrified.

Stealing $2k in cold medicine (which will be used to make meth no doubt) should have been grand larceny under New York law even if no force had been used. This new "progressive" era is truly a great time to be a thug in America!

thebeave

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
On the other side of the country, the new Manhattan DA is downgrading armed robbery to shoplifting.

Robbery Charge Reduced Under New Manhattan DA's Reform Policies: Sources

NBC New York said:
Investigators say another armed robbery case in Manhattan has been reduced to a charge of shoplifting by the new Manhattan district attorney.

Investigators say this time it was a suspect who wielded a pocketknife while stealing about $2,000 worth of cold medicine from a Duane Reade along Delancey Street in Lower Manhattan over the weekend. Video from inside the store shows the manager who was allegedly threatened by the suspect.

Police arrested 43-year-old William Rolon, saying it was the second time he hit the store — and his 39th arrest overall. But instead of charging Rolon with robbery, sources said prosecutors dropped the charges to petit larceny – a misdemeanor – even though the manager told police she was terrified.

Stealing $2k in cold medicine (which will be used to make meth no doubt) should have been grand larceny under New York law even if no force had been used. This new "progressive" era is truly a great time to be a thug in America!
You don't know that he was going to make meth with all that cold medicine. Perhaps he has a large extended family with the sniffles, and the family is too broke to be able to pay for it. Its just like with all the high volume laundry detergent thefts. Haters always assume the worst in people and assume its going to be resold on the black market for cash rather than to clean the large volumes of dirty clothes these poor working class people generate at their coal mining and sewer cleaning jobs.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Sheriff Villanueva has played a blinder here;

Four people are expected to appear in federal court Friday in connection with the robbery and murder of off-duty LAPD officer Fernando Arroyos. Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva handed the case to federal authorities, bypassing L.A. County District Attorney George Gascón.

News

The city of Beverly Hills has joined the effort to recall Gascon.

horhangi

Basic Beliefs
Athiest
story about the rise in looting of freight cars. The thieves boast that there are no consequences

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
A 70-year-old nurse died Sunday among her colleagues at the hospital where she had worked for nearly four decades, succumbing to injuries suffered days earlier in an attack by a homeless man while waiting for a bus near Union Station to make her morning commute. Sandra Shells was attacked about 5:15 a.m. Thursday near Vignes Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue, a short distance from Union Station, as she waited to catch a bus to her job at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

News

While the homeless are allowed to build their encampments where they like, this type of thing will continue. I haven't been to that area for a about three years but the homeless were very noticeable around Union Station and Olvera Street.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Another death where the perp is probably a drugged up transient;

A 24-year-old woman was stabbed to death Thursday afternoon while working at a Hancock Park furniture store, and Los Angeles police said the killer remains at large. Brianna Kupfer was working alone inside the Croft House furniture store in the 300 block of North La Brea Avenue when a man entered the store, attacked her and stabbed her to death, said Det. Herman Frettlohr of the Los Angeles Police Department.

LA Times

Way to go Newsom and Garcetti !

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
I can't help but also ask whether this rise in crime is commensurate per Capita.

So, to imagine the recently reference freight robberies, we are also doing orders of magnitude more movement of freight.

We have more mosquitoes on the elephant, but if the elephant is a hundred times bigger and the mosquitoes are only 5x bigger and there are only 25% more mosquitoes...

Is it really "more" of a problem? To me it seems LESS a problem..

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

A 24-year-old woman was stabbed to death Thursday afternoon while working at a Hancock Park furniture store, and Los Angeles police said the killer remains at large. Brianna Kupfer was working alone inside the Croft House furniture store in the 300 block of North La Brea Avenue when a man entered the store, attacked her and stabbed her to death, said Det. Herman Frettlohr of the Los Angeles Police Department.

LA Times

The corrupt Los Angeles Police department should be eliminated for not assuming that this attack was not specifically related to the Jewish Community.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
A 70-year-old nurse died Sunday among her colleagues at the hospital where she had worked for nearly four decades, succumbing to injuries suffered days earlier in an attack by a homeless man while waiting for a bus near Union Station to make her morning commute. Sandra Shells was attacked about 5:15 a.m. Thursday near Vignes Street and Cesar Chavez Avenue, a short distance from Union Station, as she waited to catch a bus to her job at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

News

While the homeless are allowed to build their encampments where they like, this type of thing will continue. I haven't been to that area for a about three years but the homeless were very noticeable around Union Station and Olvera Street.
While your society continues to refuse to help people who are in need out of a stupid political and economic stance that pretends their problems aren't your problems, they will continue to cause you problems, and you will continue to lay the blame for these problems you are causing on irrelevant issues such as the particular locations that homeless people choose to live; Or the inadequate security measures that are intended to conceal the problems (or at least relocate them onto neighbours less able to afford hired thugs).

You broke it. You need to fix it. But once again you call for the problems to be swept further under the rug this time, as though that approach wasn't irrational and insane.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Adam Lee on Twitter: "Cops are pretending that criminal-justice reform is preventing them from doing anything about actual, serious crime." / Twitter
noting a long Twitter thread:
Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "THREAD: ..." / Twitter
THREAD: This is a story about how police are frontline propagandists. It starts with a violent robbery at a men’s clothing store in Manhattan. It ends w/ NYPD responding, but refusing to investigate. Then lying that no one would face any consequences bc of “reform.” Read on:

A few weeks ago, a men's clothing store in Manhattan was victimized by numerous young men who, according the owners, stole $20,000 of merchandise. And worse: punched a 61 year old employee in the face. It was the second time the store had suffered similar theft recently.

The owners called NYPD both times. Both times NYPD came after the young men had left. The second time, however, one of the young men left his cell phone behind. Even apparently called it to retrieve it. The holy grail of evidence. A way for cops to catch them, right? Wrong.

Here's where the story turns from tragic to sinister. The owners called the responding cops "professional & sympathetic." But they lied to them. First, they lied they couldn't use the phone bc of "privacy laws." Despite ample justification to undercut constitutional protections.

Never in my nearly decade of public defense did the Constitution ever stop cops from acting even when the Constitution plainly prohibited their actions. Cops know their word will never be challenged & even if it is, judges will give a pass. More on this:
Opinion | How Mandatory Minimums Enable Police Misconduct - The New York Times - "They drastically limit accountability for those with the power to take away a person’s liberty."

t gets worse. NYPD didn't just lie they couldn't search for or arrest the suspects. They lied that even if caught, they'd face no consequences. Because of "bail reform" & new Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg's wildly misinterpreted policy memo. Storeowners were understandably horrified.

This was the last straw for the storeowners. After being bombarded w/ years of police-planted propaganda, fear & falsehoods tying bail reform to fictional "surges," personally surviving violence, then being told by NYPD it was bc of reform, they spoke out.
NYC shopkeeper robbed twice by marauding bandits

Confronted both w/ traumatic experiences & brazen lies by the NYPD, it's understandable these storeowners would speak out, in anger & resolve, against commonsense & remarkably successful reforms in NY. Misinformation is as much a tragedy as the violent robbery. So here are facts:

The offense & actions the storeowners described is Robbery in the Second Degree. A class C violent felony. Each individual would face minimum 3.5 years in prison. Max 15. Under NY Penal Law 160.10(2)(a). Bail reform doesn't touch this case. Alvin Bragg's memo doesn't come close.

It is FALSE Manhattan DA Bragg's new policy memo forecloses prosecution of these violent felonies. Or comes close to *condoning them*. He'd prosecute this case as a violent robbery. His prosecutors would request bail. Here’s a direct link to his policy: DANY Letterhead - Day-One-Letter-Policies-1.03.2022.pdf

So much lying out there about Bragg "condoning commercial armed robbery!" Minor changes relate only to cases involving no "genuine risk of physical harm." In this case, someone was ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY HARMED. Even just *threatening* the act would've qualify as a C-violent felony.

The carve out in Bragg’s policy is for outrageous cases that already ordinarily end in misdemeanors or dismissals like when a single person puts their finger under their shirt pretending to have a gun. If any object (even a water bottle) could cause harm, it could be charged.

Only other change in Bragg's memo re: commercial crimes relates to outrageous practice of charging someone w/ a "violent burglary" for simple theft only bc a store's connected to a building w/ residences as well. Bragg'd still charge these as non-violent felonies. Up to 4 years.

Bragg’s policy also doesn't rule out bail or incarceration for any crime. And carceral sentences would be based on a "holistic analysis of the facts" including "victim's input (particularly in cases of violence or trauma)." Which fits the storeowner's case as well.

To reiterate: In the case the storeowners described, these individuals could & would be charged w/ a C-violent robbery under Penal section 160.10, likely be caged on Rikers pretrial on unaffordable bail, & face up to between 15 years in prison. What cops called "no consequences."

The experience of the storeowners sounds harrowing & horrifying. Only made worse by the fact the NYPD both refused to help & also lied to them. Lied blatantly, as theyre doing in NYC & around the country to make people feel less safe & call to roll back criminal justice reforms.
Like the LA train robberies?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "Ill end here for now. ..." / Twitter
Ill end here for now. More policing is not the answer. Continued harsh prosecutions aren't the answer. More people caged is not the answer. How do we know this? This story underscores why. Read on:

We spend $11 billion on policing that did nothing to prevent the crime described by the storeowners. $11 billion to fail/refuse to solve crime. That's not the storeowners' fault. That's not "reform's" fault. That's an epic failure of policing as a health & safety strategy.

Even worse: The $11 billion NYPD LIED. Lied that there's "nothing" they could do. That "nothing" would happen. They did this knowingly. They want to make people feel less safe, to fearmonger, & lie about reforms in order to get people to support doubling down on failed policy.

Bail reform has been a massive success. Out of the 98,000 now free who otherwise would've been eligible for Rikers, less than 2% were rearrested for a violent offense. Same as before reform. The chances these kids were released on another case at the time, is near-non-existent.

In NY & other localities where modest changes have passed, the fact is 1000s upon 1000s more are w/ their families, jobs, housing, medical care, & showing up to court. Not subjected to the *criminogenic violence that increases recidivism* of pretrial detention. Not reoffending

Meanwhile, just like before bail reform, an infinitesimal percentage of people who were released get rearrested for crimes of violence. And those who were originally charged with crimes of violence (& bail eligible), are *the least likely* of all to get rearrested *if* released.

The data also undermines the propaganda. Crime trends over last year according to most recent FBI data was consistent. Across all jurisdictions. Cities large/small. Red/blue. With/without reforms. Those w/ "progressive prosecutors" & without. With police protests & without.
I'd like to see the numbers on that, though I wouldn't be surprised.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "Here's the data just in NYC ..." / Twitter
Here's the data just in NYC as it relates to the kind of crime the storeowners' experience: Nearly 2% decrease in burglaries over the last 2 years. Over 7% decline in robberies. Is it okay it happened to them? No. Is it part of a "surge" of burglaries/robberies? No.

Lastly, the idea that somehow kids in Manhattan are suddenly feeling "emboldened" because they think they can get away with offenses like this is ludicrous. Violent felony before. Still violent felony. Also directly undercut by every study undermining deterrence theory.

People are not thinking to themselves: “Ok, I’m going to steal from this store because if I do get caught there is a higher chance that I might not get sent to Rikers Island during a pandemic under the new DA’s new policy memo.” People are not thinking like this.

We all, New Yorkers and survivors of violent crime included, deserve the truth.

Not surprisingly I’m reply to this thread, a wide range of people seeing & hearing about the same sinister police practices in NYC & around the country. Crown Heights, Brooklyn:

Suzanne F. Boswell on Twitter: "@ScottHech There's something similar going on near my neighborhood where a bunch of storeowners have been told by the cops that a serial robber can't be arrested because of bail laws. They believe the police; I'm convinced something else is going . (link)" / Twitter
‘Enough Is Enough:’ Park Slope Business Owners Exasperated By Recent Burglaries, Police Say Many By Same Man – CBS New York

In California via NextDoor app:
Dog Lover! on Twitter: "@ScottHech @Fly_Sistah I’m across the country, but I see frequent posts in NextDoor where people post about a crime (house break-in or car theft) & are told by the responding sheriff that it won’t do any good to prosecute b/c “nothing will happen to the crook anyway.” Your thread explains a lot." / Twitter

NYC:
Leo Glickman on Twitter: "A food deliverer working for a popular local restaurant in my neighborhood was accosted and robbed. The police did the same thing, saying their hands are tied and are being told to not make arrests. It's absolutely disgusting." / Twitter

Seattle:
Phil Mocek on Twitter: "The same thing happens in Seattle, where the police guild (@SPOG1952) actually have a PR campaign of "feel safe yet?" self-serving fear mongering. This is not a system that can be reformed. Defunnd the police and replace them with something more effective." / Twitter

Alaska:
Eat a Bowl, My Ass (I Will Not Eat a Bowl) on Twitter: "I don't even need to read the rest of this thread. A lot of people were told by police in Alaska that SB91 (criminal law reform) stopped them from investigating crimes." / Twitter

Not just when responding to calls for help. NYPD lying in community meetings too:
Jared Chausow on Twitter: "This is happening at community meetings across the city, too. Police point fingers rather than admit they can’t resolve community issues.
S/o to @TheRealLatriceW @RJackson_NYC & @NYSenatorRivera who have used their platforms to correct lies and promote truth & justice." / Twitter

Los Angeles:
Ground Game LA on Twitter: "They follow the same playbook everywhere." / Twitter

Just recalled that I had a similar conversation in San Francisco.
Scott Hechinger on Twitter: "Misinformation in San Francisco: A tech millionaire recently told me how someone had their head bashed w/ a brick. Brain damage. Police wouldn’t investigate bc they said Chesa won’t prosecute. “That’s insane!” Yea. Cause it’s not true. That’s attempted murder. Cops are out lying." / Twitter

Seattle. Again:
Wendy Lady doesn't want to talk bout Rocco☕🦄 on Twitter: "They're doing this from coast to coast. Twice I've interacted with Seattle police & they tell me they can't do anything because of "legislation".
The first time was with my son, on the same block as a station. They showed up 45 mins after the incident. They told me that.
Lies." / Twitter

Austin:
oldfatslow on Twitter: "@ScottHech This is exactly the situation in Austin. Police respond and tell crime victims nothing would happen so there's no need for them to do their job and investigate & arrest." / Twitter

Connecticut:
John Felizardo on Twitter: "@ScottHech Same in Connecticut. The State Police Commissioner is meeting State Law Makers to talk about the increase in road fatalities. The police blame low morale due to reforms. They basically are whining about accountability and therefore not doing their jobs." / Twitter

Portland:
Chris O'Connor on Twitter: "@ScottHech @WaqarVick Same propagandizing here in Portland: (link)" / Twitter
A Precinct Commander for the Portland Police Bureau Suggested Residents Should Vote Out the District Attorney for Being Soft on Crime

Next Door app in Los Angeles appears to be a significant home for spreading propaganda and angst.
Clare is vaccinated on Twitter: "@CarolKearns12 @ScottHech @Fly_Sistah This has become the general “belief” in Los Angeles — why bother reporting it, cops say it won’t do any good. And Next Door is a powerful amplifier of this." / Twitter

Trausti

Deleted

Pro-Crime policies beget more crime.

UP Addresses Los Angeles Cargo Thefts; Problem Requires Collective Effort

Union Pacific agents have made hundreds of arrests, but less than half are booked and some are released in less than 24 hours. 

“Criminals are caught and arrested, turned over to local authorities for booking, arraigned before the local courts, charges are reduced to a misdemeanor or petty offense, and the criminal is released after paying a nominal fine,” said the letter. “These individuals are generally caught and released back onto the streets in less than 24 hours. Even with all the arrests made, the no-cash bail policy and extended timeframe for suspects to appear in court is causing re-victimization to Union Pacific by these same criminals.”

The letter goes on to say criminals are boasting to Union Pacific officers that charges will be pled down to simple trespassing – which bears no serious consequence.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Those are not "pro-crime policies". Those are "unwillingness to do one's job" policies. Like charge them with trespassing and unlawful entry.

Seems like those cops want to provoke people to support policies that they like.

Trausti

Deleted
Those are not "pro-crime policies". Those are "unwillingness to do one's job" policies. Like charge them with trespassing and unlawful entry.

Seems like those cops want to provoke people to support policies that they like.

Wut? The “unwillingness to do one’s job” is by the prosecutor. That is a choice by the prosecutor. Cops have no bearing on whether a criminal is quickly released again to reoffend without consequence.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule

Yup - the election of a Trump criminal to the position of POTUS did begat more crime. What is fascinating is that master criminal's supporters then get upset by more crime.

Really is true. The Left GOP and its dupes just can’t live without Trump.
FIFY.

The last time the Capitol was attacked by a group (much smaller) was 1954 (Attacks on and at the Capitol). The past one was prompted in part by the darling of the GOP, President Trump.

Trausti

Deleted

Yup - the election of a Trump criminal to the position of POTUS did begat more crime. What is fascinating is that master criminal's supporters then get upset by more crime.

FIFY

You’re the one who brought him up. You can’t defend the lefty pro-crime policies, so you pivot to TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule

FIFY

You’re the one who brought him up. You can’t defend the lefty pro-crime policies, so you pivot to TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.
No, I am simply pointing out that people like you are pro-crime as long as it fits your ideology. It is a blatant double standard.

Trausti

Deleted

FIFY

No, I am simply pointing out that people like you are pro-crime as long as it fits your ideology. It is a blatant double standard.

Cool. Could you cite the post where I was ever pro-crime?

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule

Cool. Could you cite the post where I was ever pro-crime?
Any Pro-Trump post is pro-crime. Any post minimizing the seditious or violence of the Capitol attackers is pro-crime.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
As to not prosecuting small crimes, without some alternative, that's a bad idea.

They should handle small crimes the way that they do traffic offenses. When I mean small crimes, I mean petty theft, fare-beating, and the like.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

Gospel

Unify Africa
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic
While I disagree with Trausti damn there 100% of the time, I don't appreciate how some members are questioning Trausti's character rather than views. With that said

Wut? The “unwillingness to do one’s job” is by the prosecutor. That is a choice by the prosecutor. Cops have no bearing on whether a criminal is quickly released again to reoffend without consequence.

Cops may have no bearing on whether a criminal is quickly released again but they do have bearing on who they bring in to get sentenced or released. What the (correction) Twitter feeds are saying is some officers are declining to do their job stating that there is no point if the perps are let go. Do you believe the officers should or should not be doing that?

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
Last edited:

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Is it really "more" of a problem? To me it seems LESS a problem..

So you just make up numbers in order to keep pretending that Garcon, Boudin, Bragg et al.'s policies to not prosecute many crimes and downgrade others (e.g. armed robbery gets downgraded to "petit larceny") are not fueling crime.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
They should handle small crimes the way that they do traffic offenses. When I mean small crimes, I mean petty theft, fare-beating, and the like.

First offense fare beating should be a fine.
Under Bragg in Manhattan though robbing a store off $2,000 in merchandise with a knife is now classified as "petit larceny", contrary to NY law. Insanity!

By the way, even legitimate petty thefts need to be treated more seriously when it's a repeat offense.
Petty with a prior!

Last edited:

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
The last time the Capitol was attacked by a group (much smaller) was 1954 (Attacks on and at the Capitol).

Wrong. There was a bombing in 1983 by the  May 19th Communist Organization, a mostly female offshoot of Weather Underground.
Bill Clinton commuted their sentences.

In the 1980s, a Far-Left, Female-Led Domestic Terrorism Group Bombed the U.S. Capitol
Thank you for the correction. I was sloppy - by "attacked by a group" I meant more than one person who physically participated in the attack.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

The criminal justice system cannot work when the second half of the equation deliberately derelicts its duty for political gain.
It leads to all parts of it suffering, including policing; if for no other reason by demoralizing rank and file who arrest the perps over and over again just to see them released over and over again.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
You should feel safe. You don't because every terrible incident that occurs in the US is instantly available for all to read. Crime is down. It has been going down since the early 1990s. Is it because of legalized abortion or unleaded gas? No one knows for sure. But it is down. Way down over the last thirty years. It is no more prevalent in the US than other wealthy nations until... you get... to the part... about... guns. Yep. Guns. That's where we outshine all others. And even these are not due to crimes with guns. The guns come in during social exchanges, arguments, etc. So we just end up with more people in the morgue. By gun toting Prius owners and the like.
Everyone thinks crime is up in the United States. Well, Republicans do anyways. But you ask about their own personal experiences and it's another story. Me thinks crime is up on Fox News and similar internet sites. But that's just a theory. People who suffer more crime are young and poor. There is no difference by race or gender (whatever that means). A little gender humor.
I know folks in Indiana worry to death about illegals coming across in Texas and folks in Georgia are just worried sick about crime in Los Angeles. But I'll tell you a secret, if you change the websites you visit, then it's just you in your community where nothing ever happens.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
A
But I'll tell you a secret, if you change the websites you visit, then it's just you in your community where nothing ever happens.

Sorry to say but none of that changes with the crap that is allowed to go on in Los Angeles. The "homeless" encampments and the crime and filth that emanates from these encampments are tolerated by city council. I can't go out for a walk round the block without some out their head junkie screaming at me from across the street. Bus stops in the area can't be used because some junkie has made it their home. Businesses lose out because customers are afraid of the junkies camped out on the sidewalk and avoid the area. Echo park was a no go area up until recently thanks to the homeless encampment that was allowed to flourish. A homeless man stabbed a young girl to death in a furniture which which is in a reasonably nice area. Large parts of Los Angeles is a shithole right now

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
You should feel safe. You don't because every terrible incident that occurs in the US is instantly available for all to read. Crime is down. It has been going down since the early 1990s. Is it because of legalized abortion or unleaded gas? No one knows for sure. But it is down. Way down over the last thirty years. It is no more prevalent in the US than other wealthy nations until... you get... to the part... about... guns. Yep. Guns. That's where we outshine all others. And even these are not due to crimes with guns. The guns come in during social exchanges, arguments, etc. So we just end up with more people in the morgue. By gun toting Prius owners and the like.
Everyone thinks crime is up in the United States. Well, Republicans do anyways. But you ask about their own personal experiences and it's another story. Me thinks crime is up on Fox News and similar internet sites. But that's just a theory. People who suffer more crime are young and poor. There is no difference by race or gender (whatever that means). A little gender humor.
I know folks in Indiana worry to death about illegals coming across in Texas and folks in Georgia are just worried sick about crime in Los Angeles. But I'll tell you a secret, if you change the websites you visit, then it's just you in your community where nothing ever happens.
IKR? To be fair a lot of stuff happens in my community because I live in a Very Affordable Area, and with such affordability comes !!FUN!!, which is sometimes on !!FIRE!!

Even so, it's not really gotten better or worse except in direct response to the movement of traffic, or not, through the area.

If the city and state wanted crime down in our area, they would move the highway exits on 94 to be adjacent to Webber, Broadway, and Lowry, not Dowling and that stupid one on Lyndale, and get on legalizing recreational weed.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Large parts of Los Angeles is a shithole right now.

Was that true when Jackie Lacey was in charge?

Yes but Lacey isn't responsible for cleaning up the homeless. That's down to city council mostly, people like Mike Bonin, who is the subject of a recall effort.

Do voters there have regrets?

Hard to tell but there is a recall in the works for Gascon. I certainly didn't vote for Gascon.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
A
But I'll tell you a secret, if you change the websites you visit, then it's just you in your community where nothing ever happens.

Sorry to say but none of that changes with the crap that is allowed to go on in Los Angeles. The "homeless" encampments and the crime and filth that emanates from these encampments are tolerated by city council. I can't go out for a walk round the block without some out their head junkie screaming at me from across the street. Bus stops in the area can't be used because some junkie has made it their home. Businesses lose out because customers are afraid of the junkies camped out on the sidewalk and avoid the area. Echo park was a no go area up until recently thanks to the homeless encampment that was allowed to flourish. A homeless man stabbed a young girl to death in a furniture which which is in a reasonably nice area. Large parts of Los Angeles is a shithole right now
What is your solution to the problem?

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Mike Bonin is bonkers, hopefully he will get recalled;

Mike Bonin said:
Councilmember Mike Bonin was one of two members of the Los Angeles City Council to vote against enforcing anti-camping laws this week, claiming that these rules “make us less safe and make homelessness worse. Many people — including my political opponents — are demanding I support and implement laws that criminalize sitting and lying down in ever larger portions of our city. But these laws take us backwards, make us less safe, and make homelessness worse. Unhoused people are disproportionately the `victims’ of crime — and no official has the power (or desire) to prevent police from investigating criminal acts. But statutes like 41.18 criminalize not so much an act as the very `state’ of being unhoused,”
LA News

There are reports of activists bribing homeless to stay put rather than go in to shelters.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Getting back to the Portland unrest that was in the early days of this thread...

Tusitala "Tiny" Toese, a member of the far-right group Proud Boys, has been arrested on a Multnomah County warrant for his actions during an August 22, 2021 protest in Portland, according to sources familiar with the case. Toese is facing a total of eleven criminal charges.

Toese was one of many members of the Proud Boys and other far-right organizations who showed up in Northeast Portland on Sunday, August 22 with paintball guns and bear mace, looking for a confrontation with antifascist Portlanders. The so-called "Summer of Love" rally marked the one-year anniversary of a similar right-wing demonstration in downtown Portland, which was defined by its lack of police response. The 2021 event, held in an abandoned Kmart parking lot in the Parkrose neighborhood, was no different. Right-wing activists violently clashed with antifascists that afternoon in a haze of smoke bombs and white paint with no police intervention. Portland Police Chief Chuck Lovell said that officers were monitoring the situation from afar and would make arrests at a later date.

Mayor Ted Wheeler admitted that this hands-off response was inappropriate a month later.

Toese was captured on film during the event shooting a paintball gun at antifascist protesters, attacking an individual in a parked truck, and helping a group of protesters tip over an empty van parked in the lot.

He was also filmed after the clash condemning the police for not responding to the protest to protect him and others.

"I know days from now, I might be arrested," he said at the time. "I'm sick and tired, and if we have to die to defend ourselves, our families, and our fucking freedom in America, we're gonna do it."

Toese was previously arrested and jailed in 2020 for assaulting an antifascist bystander two years prior. He was released in December 2020.

Toese has been charged with three counts of assault in the second degree, two counts of assault in the third degree, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon, two counts of riot, and two counts of criminal mischief.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
A

That's an inevitable consequence of massive wealth disparity.

The solutions are either the traditional (ie medieval) option of employing vast numbers of hired thugs to defend the wealth of the aristocracy from the masses of the poor, and building high security compounds in which the lords and ladies can feel secure; Or the modern (ie mid-20th century) option of providing employment opportunities and a strong safety net to ensure that grinding poverty remains rare.

Your problem is that you want to have your brute squad and your castle, but you can't afford them. So you expect the taxpayer to provide them for you.

Dressing up greed for public funds to support US, but not THEM, as a call for 'law and order' has been popular with the not-quite-rich for thousands of years. But it remains despicable.

thebeave

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

LA Times

Police have identified the suspect in this killing.

LAPD identifies suspect in stabbing of UCLA grad student Brianna Kupfer

Los Angeles police identified the man they say stabbed UCLA student Brianna Kupfer to death inside a high-end furniture store where she worked, hours after offering a record-breaking $250,000 reward.

Shawn Laval Smith, 31 — who was released last year on $1,000 bail in a misdemeanor case in LA — was considered armed and dangerous and “highly likely to be using public transportation,” the Los Angeles Police Department announced Tuesday.

He was in October 2020 released on $1,000 bail after a misdemeanor arrest in California that prosecutors chose not to press charges on, the Covina Police Department said.

He also appears to be free on a $50,000 bond in South Carolina in relation to a November 2019 arrest on suspicion of firing a weapon into an occupied vehicle, court records show.

Kupfer’s father, Todd Kupfer, told The Post he “heard his rap sheet is much worse” — insisting police told him that the suspect in his daughter’s slaying should have been behind bars.

TV and credit cards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
A

Homes. Mental health services. Drug addiction services. Just what the state is doing.

So you’ve got you anti-camping ordinance. The answer without a solution. I guess if you’re homeless, you just walk around indefinitely.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
A

Homes. Mental health services. Drug addiction services. Just what the state is doing.

So you’ve got you anti-camping ordinance. The answer without a solution. I guess if you’re homeless, you just walk around indefinitely.
Note who didn't answer the question.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
You should feel safe. You don't because every terrible incident that occurs in the US is instantly available for all to read. Crime is down. It has been going down since the early 1990s.
Just because things are not as bad as they were in the 70s and 80s does not mean that idiotic polices by fauxgressive prosecutors like Boudin, Garçon and Bragg are at all conducive to maintaining civil order.
Sure, geeks don't have to pack .38s on NYC subways to shoot would be robbers, but under Bragg's pro-crime leadership we may be heading back that way.

Is it because of legalized abortion or unleaded gas? No one knows for sure.
Probably combination of those and more tough on crime policies where armed robbers are actually charged with armed robbery and not petit larceny.

Everyone thinks crime is up in the United States.
Over the last few years it is. Particularly homicides.

People who suffer more crime are young and poor.

Which is why policies by these supposedly progressive prosecutors are anything but.

But illegals who come through Texas end up everywhere, including Indiana.
And it is not true nothing ever happens in Georgia. We have shootings here. But for all their faults, our DAs do not categorically refuse to charge 17 year old killers and rapists as adults for example. They don't downgrade robberies to petty thefts either.

Top Bottom