• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Bring Back the Cod Piece!

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
It all started with a text…

I went to the public market this morning. Stopped at a fish monger. They were selling bits of several different types of fish. One sign said cod pieces 2.99 per pound. I bought some. I had to tell the young man what a cod piece is. I think a name change would be a good idea
What is a codpiece, you ask?

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/bringing-back-the-codpiece/

In the 1500s, men wore hose to cover their legs. Now the hose they wore were nothing like the hose women wear today. The hose covered the legs but did not cover the genitals. As the jackets and doublets got shorter with fashion, men began to accidentally expose themselves when they sat down or mounted a horse. So, to cover their manhood, men began to wear a codpiece (from the Middle English “cod,” meaning “scrotum”).

The codpiece began as a simple piece of fabric that would be tied down, really just an extra piece of linen. However, as time wore on the codpiece became more elaborate and decorative, longer and padded. So instead of helping to conceal the genitals, the codpiece emphasized them.

The article states alternative theories to the origin of the fashion. And gives some pictures of how it looks. Including on Superheores and contemporary runway models.

Luckily enough, the codpiece is not extinct. They are still readily accessible on some very popular websites, including Amazon, and most of them will only cost you a little over 100 dollars apiece.

But perhaps that is too expensive. Perhaps, as a cautious man you want to make sure that you’re not spending money on something you won’t want in a few years. That’s okay, too, because there are cheaper alternatives.

Sports Authority, and other sport stores, offer a wide variety of jockstraps and cups that with a little effort could be turned into beautiful codpieces. Some of the newer cups look like shorts and could be worn by themselves. Some of the older styles might need a little paint, so they don’t look so white and out of place over your jeans.

Just remember to be creative about it. To make the cup look more sophisticated, try painting a design on the outside of it, like flames or dragons or an axe or maybe just a smiley face. There’s really no wrong way to bring back the codpiece–just get to it!

Emphasis mine.

:rofl: It's funny to me, but if men want to wear them, fine! Bring on the cod pieces. If they become a thing, we'll just get used to seeing them and then it won't be a thing to laugh at. They'll just be "popular fashion." Unless it's gigantically padded or, I don't know, diamond studded or something. :D

Fine, but we're in the digital age. I want a talking codpiece, one with a deep virile voice and laugh, and a generic midwest accent.

Guy who's buying my sailboat: So, you'll take $5,000?
Me: Sure, that's fair.
Guy: And you?
Codpiece: That's fair.
Guy: And no taxes, right?
Me: This is strictly between us.
Guy: How about you?
Codpiece: Taxes? Fuhgettabout it. Har har!
Guy: Great. I'll sign the paper. Let's shake.
Me: Put 'er there.
Codpiece :Sign the paper.

Since when is clothing sold by the pound?

And I think there was something fishy about his product.

Fine, but we're in the digital age. I want a talking codpiece, one with a deep virile voice and laugh, and a generic midwest accent.

Guy who's buying my sailboat: So, you'll take $5,000?
Me: Sure, that's fair.
Codpiece: That's fair.
Guy: And no taxes, right?
Me: This is strictly between us.
Guy: How about you?
Codpiece: Taxes? Fuhgettabout it. Har har!
Guy: Great. I'll sign the paper. Let's shake.
Me: Put 'er there.
Codpiece :Sign the paper.

This cracked me up.

Back
Top Bottom