• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cataract surgery

Best med thing E V E R !!!

Had both eyes’ lenses replaced a few years ago. I was amazed. Suddenly able to see if a fly is cleaning itself from 30’ away - that’s one thing. But what Z said; the COLORS!!

Need readers for small print, but distance vision is perfect. Also zero cost (Medicare) is nice.

Best med thing E V E R !!!

Had both eyes’ lenses replaced a few years ago. I was amazed. Suddenly able to see if a fly is cleaning itself from 30’ away - that’s one thing. But what Z said; the COLORS!!

Need readers for small print, but distance vision is perfect. Also zero cost (Medicare) is nice.
Can you request a vision range? I'd rather sack a bit of distance for close-up but getting my lenses replaced is on my list of "technophile dreams".

I remember posting here 10+ years ago that this was going to happen 5 years ago or somesuch and being told "look at how far it is away, no way!!!"

They should give you choices. You can get one eye tuned for distance and the other for closeup if you so desire.
The main thing is the CLARITY. I had no idea how blind I was. It was apparent that driving at night was becoming a no-go, but the loss of vision was so gradual that it was a total shock when it all cleared up.
Also - totally painless, rapid recovery (eyepatch at night, no heavy lifting for a few days...). All in all it's amazing.

They should give you choices. You can get one eye tuned for distance and the other for closeup if you so desire.
The main thing is the CLARITY. I had no idea how blind I was. It was apparent that driving at night was becoming a no-go, but the loss of vision was so gradual that it was a total shock when it all cleared up.
Also - totally painless, rapid recovery (eyepatch at night, no heavy lifting for a few days...). All in all it's amazing.
One for each would bother me too much. I'd much rather be able to be able to focus for a second and see the subpixels than watch a fly lick their crotch from across the room, but that's also because I do a bit of work that requires good close-up vision, including the occasional surface-mount component replacement, soldering shit in the .5-3mm range, which I do freehand like a dummy.

Honestly, keeping my hand steady enough is the bigger challenge.

I absolutely HATE wearing glasses for anything, and losing my reading range would piss me off to no end.

For those looking for more information, the actual procedure is IOL, "Intraocular lens replacement".

It took me a fair bit of Google foo to find this amid all the other lasic and implantable contact bullshit.

It's cheaper than implantable contacts, and honestly probably much better.

You also don't actually NEED to have cataracts to yeet your meat lenses.

One for each would bother me too much. I'd much rather be able to be able to focus for a second and see the subpixels than watch a fly lick their crotch from across the room, but that's also because I do a bit of work that requires good close-up vision, including the occasional surface-mount component replacement, soldering shit in the .5-3mm range, which I do freehand like a dummy.

I absolutely HATE wearing glasses for anything, and losing my reading range would piss me off to no end.

For those looking for more information, the actual procedure is IOL, "Intraocular lens replacement".

It took me a fair bit of Google foo to find this amid all the other lasic and implantable contact bullshit.

You can choose to be nearsighted if you like. My husband had always been nearsighted but when he had his cataract surgery, he chose to be far sighted and west readers.

The idea of having one eye nearsighted and the other farsighted seemed too weird to him but my understanding is that people adjust and don’t notice the difference. But does sound freaky.

You can choose to be nearsighted if you like. My husband had always been nearsighted but when he had his cataract surgery, he chose to be far sighted and west readers.

The idea of having one eye nearsighted and the other farsighted seemed too weird to him but my understanding is that people adjust and don’t notice the difference. But does sound freaky.
I didn't have cataracts; the doc described it as yellowing of the lens rather than clouding, but the effect must have been similar.
I elected for distance vision because I spend a lot of time outside watching birds, wildlife, working with and riding horses (VERY helpful on trail, to be able to read the ground before the horse steps on it), and appreciating the sky, which is spectacular around here. (I'll try to append this post with a pic I took while cleaning the barn evening before last...)
I have been pleasantly surprised to find that "distance" begins at about arm's length. I can read"normal" print pretty easily, but stuff like the ingredients lists (particularly on products that don't want you to read the ingredients list) makes me go for the glasses. I must have ten or so pairs in vehicles, by desks etc. that I got at the dollar store for $1 each. They suffice perfectly well for those situations. Also keep 3 pairs of $15 (w00 h00!!) of 'good' readers at my main desk, by the bed and in vehicle #1. But that's all.
So happy with the outcome, it's hard to express.
1661451448395.jpeg
^ doesn’t do it justice (snapshot, no filters)

Last edited:
I would like to someday have eyes that are good enough to read the tiny print directions on the label of a 1/2 pint size can of varnish. Sadly, all the CAUTION! and WARNING! labels reminding you not to drink it, on top of the Spanish language translation make that currently impossible. I don't think even the Six Million Dollar Man can read it with his bionic eye.

My sister had her's done 5 years ago. She wears half readers now. I may go that way. Will see eye doc in a month, after implants set.

I'am 20/20. Have been that good since I was 13!

Slightly nearsighted.

I'm unsure of how nearsighted I actually am, but it's pretty stark. I can start to perceive subpixels on my phone at normal distance if I focus on it and squint a bit.

As far as I am aware, the bionic lens replacements have a wider dynamic range of focal points than meat lenses due to their improved material properties, though, so even if it only got me to 20/23 at distance vision, it would be better than my 20/30+.

It's just losing any of that near end convenience that would bother me.

I will probably need to have mine removed in the next year, but I love wearing glasses. Until my vision becomes blurred, the surgery can wait.

But, thanks for sharing your experience, bluebird. Do you still have to administer eye drops numerous times a day?

Slightly nearsighted.

I'm unsure of how nearsighted I actually am, but it's pretty stark. I can start to perceive subpixels on my phone at normal distance if I focus on it and squint a bit.

As far as I am aware, the bionic lens replacements have a wider dynamic range of focal points than meat lenses due to their improved material properties, though, so even if it only got me to 20/23 at distance vision, it would be better than my 20/30+.

It's just losing any of that near end convenience that would bother me.
Yes, I'd hate to give up any of my current range of vision. I am naturally farsighted which gets worse as one ages. Hubby used to be so nearsighted that he really couldn't see me well from across the table. It took me (and him) some time to get used to the no glasses version where, if I wanted him to read something I had to mention it first because otherwise he'd show up without his glasses and be even more farsighted than I am. Or was. I think I've passed him now or at least my astigmatism is making my visual acuity less than it was in my youth. I wear continuous lenses almost all the time because of the astigmatism and because I tend to read a lot of stuff in the course of running around. I would lose my glasses if I weren't wearing them and still manage it sometimes. But on a recent trip, I did spend some time without and...it was really nice to not have the things on my face.

My Mom and my MIL both recently got theirs done, and they speak similarly and are extremely happy.

I still have to wear glasses due to astigmatism. I got my cataract lenses when I had employer provided health insurance and they didn't cover toric lenses. At $1500 a piece I couldn't afford them. My doctor was a pretty cool guy. He tried to get the company rep to donate a pair for me but the rep refused.

I will probably need to have mine removed in the next year, but I love wearing glasses. Until my vision becomes blurred, the surgery can wait.

But, thanks for sharing your experience, bluebird. Do you still have to administer eye drops numerous times a day?
Yes. 4 times a day first Then 3 times a day and so on for 4 weeks.

Yup. My wife had it last year, she chose to be less nearsighted but glasses for distance. It definitely sneaks up--she had no idea she was 20:140 in that eye. And apparently it's been influencing her color vision for ages--she discovered the stove flame was blue after the surgery.

Yup. My wife had it last year, she chose to be less nearsighted but glasses for distance. It definitely sneaks up--she had no idea she was 20:140 in that eye. And apparently it's been influencing her color vision for ages--she discovered the stove flame was blue after the surgery.
My husband still tends to see color more 'gray' than I do even after his surgery. Friends who had the surgery report a big difference in color (brighter, more vibrant) but he really didn't see much change. But was thrilled he could see without his glasses.

My husband still tends to see color more 'gray' than I do even after his surgery. Friends who had the surgery report a big difference in color (brighter, more vibrant) but he really didn't see much change. But was thrilled he could see without his glasses.
Overall she hasn't said anything about colors being more vibrant, it's just she seems to have been missing the deep blues. She does see the world as brighter than it was.

I need to get cataract surgery according to my optamologist. The last time I saw him, a year and a half ago, he said it wasn't worth it to give me a new prescription, and whenever I got tired of squinting I should contact him for my surgery. But I am squeamish about my eyes, and I'm used to my vision being what it is. I still drive at night with no problem. My wife had the surgery a couple of years ago, and she's kind of "meh," but I do notice that she can read signs in the distance easier than I. A couple that are good friends both had the surgery. He is really enthusiastic about his, but she is like my wife - "meh." So I guess I'll get it done one day, but not immediately.

Back
Top Bottom