• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Changes in the Orion Nebula over 100 years

SLD

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker
I did a google search of vintage photos of the Orion Nebula and found one from Hubble in 1908. I then compared it to a modern photograph to see if there were any changes. While I found that some of the stars have shifted, I could not see any definitive changes in the cloud itself. Can anyone?

13B827F9-A8F1-4D3D-A181-A0DAF1F7F6EB.jpeg

2A7B7FE7-D85E-4AB4-8A1D-82898FC79E11.jpeg

I did a google search of vintage photos of the Orion Nebula and found one from Hubble in 1908. I then compared it to a modern photograph to see if there were any changes. While I found that some of the stars have shifted, I could not see any definitive changes in the cloud itself. Can anyone?

View attachment 19522

View attachment 19523

The apparent open spaces have obviously changed shape and size.

View attachment 19522

View attachment 19523

The bottom of the 1908 photo shows 4 very bright stars which are not apparent in the colour photo. Perhaps an artifact of the equipment used?

View attachment 19522

View attachment 19523

The bottom of the 1908 photo shows 4 very bright stars which are not apparent in the colour photo. Perhaps an artifact of the equipment used?

The photos are not the same size. I tried resizing them and then putting one over the other to find any movement in stars but could not come up with a precise alignment. There’s a lot of differences in equipment that create some issues too.

The most obvious example is a small star In the lower left portion, just to the left of the two bright stars in the modern photo. You’ll see two stars near the cloud. The one on the left has moved down from its earlier position.

Back
Top Bottom