• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Children exposed to religion have difficulty distinguishing fact from fiction

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Read Phyllis Schlafly's 80's opus, Child Abuse in the Classroom, in which she takes after an education system that she says makes pious children question their own faith. She quotes kids of born-agains who complain that after classwork involving critical thinking skills (And how scandalous: examine your own assumptions -- put them to the evidentiary test!!) they came home with actual headaches. Well, Jesus, I guess so. When your mental training at home involves uncritical trust in feel-good messages and gilded stories of invisible beings that supposedly surround you, critical thinking must really sprain the brain cells.

Well, some religious adults have trouble telling whether or not magical protagonists are real, so that's not too surprising.

Well, some religious adults have trouble telling whether or not magical protagonists are real, so that's not too surprising.
from the article:

(The tendency for Children who used God as an explanation for events to show higher levels of belief in the factuality of those events has been demonstrated in a previous study, and may actually strengthen with age.)

I've wondered for a long time now, if I had not been raised a Catholic would I have been fooled so absolutely by the deception of Santa Claus.

Well, now I know.

Thanks, science.

Which would help to explain why Con Men who introduce themselves as Christains do so terribly well preying upon Christains....

I've wondered for a long time now, if I had not been raised a Catholic would I have been fooled so absolutely by the deception of Santa Claus.

Well, now I know.

Thanks, science.
I still question how I was able to recognize that Curly, Larry and Moe weren't really hurting each other but at the same time thought the Harlem Globetrotters were a real basketball team. Eventually I did figure it out on my own.

Nice little study. It speaks to falseness of common misconception about "compartmentalization" of beliefs. Whenever I argue for the inherent harm of religion and faith due its inherent undermining of reasoned thought, I usually get apologists for "moderate" religion claiming that religious beliefs can be compartmentalized such that they do not impact the believers reasoning in general outside of the specific context of their religion. This is false and not what the valid psychological concept of "compartmentalization" refers to. The concept only means that a person can hold specific beliefs that are logically opposed, but that this requires a great deal of effort to suppress any natural tendency for the mind to try and create internal coherence. IT is limited to a belief being contained from influencing a limited number of other specific beliefs. It does not mean the belief can be isolated from the whole rest of the mind and prevented from impacted cognitive processes more generally. IT will influence thoughts generally and will tend to push cognition toward forming and revising beliefs to be compatible with it. This is true not only of the content of the belief, but the epistemic basis for the belief. If a belief requires ignoring of evidence and reliance upon emotional wishful thinking (i.e., faith), then it maintaining that belief over time will tend to devalue and undermine the processes of reasoned thought in general. It might not make the person less capable of reasoned thought when forced to, but it will make them less likely to employ their capacity for reasoned thought, which takes a lot of effort and motivation to sustain.

Nice little study. It speaks to falseness of common misconception about "compartmentalization" of beliefs. Whenever I argue for the inherent harm of religion and faith due its inherent undermining of reasoned thought, I usually get apologists for "moderate" religion claiming that religious beliefs can be compartmentalized such that they do not impact the believers reasoning in general outside of the specific context of their religion. This is false and not what the valid psychological concept of "compartmentalization" refers to. The concept only means that a person can hold specific beliefs that are logically opposed, but that this requires a great deal of effort to suppress any natural tendency for the mind to try and create internal coherence. IT is limited to a belief being contained from influencing a limited number of other specific beliefs. It does not mean the belief can be isolated from the whole rest of the mind and prevented from impacted cognitive processes more generally. IT will influence thoughts generally and will tend to push cognition toward forming and revising beliefs to be compatible with it. This is true not only of the content of the belief, but the epistemic basis for the belief. If a belief requires ignoring of evidence and reliance upon emotional wishful thinking (i.e., faith), then it maintaining that belief over time will tend to devalue and undermine the processes of reasoned thought in general. It might not make the person less capable of reasoned thought when forced to, but it will make them less likely to employ their capacity for reasoned thought, which takes a lot of effort and motivation to sustain.

Compartmentalization is still required. Right or wrong (science will tell eventually), it addresses the fact that people with adequate logical powers to sort out the truth about their religion will not due so. Even if believing one sort of bullocks helps build the cognitive abilities to believe another, still people with an average education and an average rationality will choose, albeit non-consciously, to not apply logic to certain questions.

In short, the issue is this: they have the logic and they don't apply it.

Sure, children who are made to believe in JC will have a better chance of believing in Santa Claus; but the question remains that adults who can use a PC office suite, can handle high-school chemistry and resolve day-to-day problems with the use of logic and basic psychology (I'm thinking a high-school chemistry teacher), will also believe it is necessary for the incarnated son of a magical sky being to be tortured and killed so that his/her magical breath won't be thrown into an eternal torture chamber for all time for masturbating.

There are two thinking systems people carry around, one is childish and absurd, the other is logical and reasonable. Their clash still needs to be explained.

Well, now I know.

Thanks, science.

I was raised without religion, and I figured out that Santa was fake at such an early age that I don't actually remember believing in him.

If you're 5 years old and Mom & Dad think that the $12.99 witch costume at Rite Aid poses a real threat to the world...
If you're 5 years old and Mom and Dad think that all religious belief poses a threat to the world....

I've seen very few statements on Talkfreethought to the effect that all religious belief is dangerous to the world. Lots of us think that all thinking in the supernatural realm is delusional -- where it's actually harmful is pretty obvious in a lot of cases. Religious beliefs have been and continue to be used to justify (or to command) all kinds of terrible behavior.

Back
Top Bottom