• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

China on course to become 'world's most Christian nation' within 15 years

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The number of Christians in Communist China is growing so steadily that it by 2030 it could have more churchgoers than America ...

Christian congregations in particular have skyrocketed since churches began reopening when Chairman Mao's death in 1976 signalled the end of the Cultural Revolution.

Less than four decades later, some believe China is now poised to become not just the world's number one economy but also its most numerous Christian nation.

"By my calculations China is destined to become the largest Christian country in the world very soon," said Fenggang Yang, a professor of sociology at Purdue University and author of Religion in China: Survival and Revival under Communist Rule.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ds-most-Christian-nation-within-15-years.html

Christianity probably lines up with the historically patriarchal Confucian culture.

Taoism was about the suopernatirl and a search for immortality.

China's Christianity is probably a mix of all three.

East Asia is an extremely appealing target for churches to send missionaries to right now. In Korea you can easily and regularly spot the caucasian Mormon missionaries from the US riding their bikes around the cities and towns wearing white dress shirts and black ties. Jehovas witnesses are also major recruiters in Korea but they are mostly Korean old ladies wandering around knocking on doors with flyers and pamphlets.

IMO, East Asian cultures while modernizing and expressing enthusiasm for technology and progress still have a very conservative and traditional streak to them especially in social politics. This probably helps with the appeal of Christianity.

I don't know if Chrisitanity is growing here or not because the younger generations seem to have received a lot of western influence and seem more vain and materialistic to me in a way that doesn't jive closely with the Christian stereotypes I've encountered here.

Certainly there are christian churches everywhere, but that only means Christianity has been successful in the past 60 years.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus!!!

Oh wait...that's what they say, not us.

Sorry 'bout that.

Brian

I have a wild prediction: in 15 years, U.S. conservatives will look to China as a shining example of a "Christian nation".

From media reports it is a real phenomena.

China could not suppress religion and decided to regulate it.

The Chinese govt picked the next Dali Lama and I believe appoints some RCC clerics.

Thereare approved physical churches, and underground groups that meet in homes that can be subject to arrest.

I'd say the odds of China becoming Christian in a Western sense are slim.

Christianmissionaries were always active in Asia.

It will be a special type of Chinese Christianity, with traditional Chinese philosophy thrown in.
I don't think it will be quiet the thing American missionaries dream of.

Any particular idea what Christianity offers the Chinese that Buddhism doesn't?

Back
Top Bottom