• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christian Group Calls For 40 Days Of Fasting To Stop Gay Marriage

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://www.citizenlink.com/2014/04/...f-prayer-fasting-and-repentance-for-marriage/

"The Family Foundation is asking that you join us for 40 Days of Prayer, Fasting and Repentance for Marriage from August 27 until October 5, 2014. Our state and nation are mired in a morass of confusion and post-modern thinking that does not believe in absolutes nor that any truth can even be known. Nowhere is this more evident than in the current debate raging about what constitutes marriage. Pagan philosophies, a secular humanist education establishment and an entertainment industry that is absolutely determined in pushing the envelope on decency and morality have all combined to turn this great land into a country that our forefathers could not even begin to recognize."

I wonder how much and what types of food they'd eat during the 40 days.... and if liquids like soup are ok. I've tried fasting diets for up to 16 hours at a time....

http://www.citizenlink.com/2014/04/...f-prayer-fasting-and-repentance-for-marriage/"The Family Foundation is asking that you join us for 40 Days of Prayer, Fasting and Repentance for Marriage from August 27 until October 5, 2014. Our state and nation are mired in a morass of confusion and post-modern thinking that does not believe in absolutes nor that any truth can even be known. Nowhere is this more evident than in the current debate raging about what constitutes marriage. Pagan philosophies, a secular humanist education establishment and an entertainment industry that is absolutely determined in pushing the envelope on decency and morality have all combined to turn this great land into a country that our forefathers could not even begin to recognize."
Mmmmmm! Look at this magnificent roast beef sandwich. All the absolute I need.

Mmmmmm! Look at this magnificent roast beef sandwich. All the absolute I need.
I wonder if anyone's going to have a list of those fasting?
I would contribute to the delivery of hot dogs, sausages, corndogs to the participants.
Bananas.
Dill pickles....

I'm not gay, but if any of these people go and break their fast before the 40 days are up, I'm going to go and marry some dude just to piss them off.

Think maybe we could squeeze in a last minute request for world peace, feeding the hungry, or a new Star Trek TV franchise? Nothing unites these Christians like a common enemy. Luckily, the tactics they're using here are completely ineffective.

I suggest they go to 160 days of fasting if the 40 days don't work. And if that doesn't work, 640, and so on, always escalating by a factor of 4. That should do it! Remember, you can move mountains! Go, Christians, go!
:huggs:

Maybe we should post an internet petition. Saying that the undersigned are seriously considering reversing their liberal stance on gay marriage.
And we all sign it on the 39th day of the fast....

Stop and think about the implications of this for just a moment.

This is a group of human beings who are willing to harm themselves in order to avoid treating another group of humans as equals. They are declaring to the world that they would rather hurt themselves than stop hurting homosexuals. Think about how much hate it takes to do something like that.

It's really hard for me to wrap my head around.

Wait, Bilby's idea should be re-framed to make fun of the whole "choose to be gay" thing.

How about we say gays will continue to exist as a protest against Christianity? That way, when Christians argue against it, it'll sound like they're arguing to kill homosexuals, which some of them probably won't mind, but will make them look very silly.

Wait, Bilby's idea should be re-framed to make fun of the whole "choose to be gay" thing.

How about we say gays will continue to exist as a protest against Christianity? That way, when Christians argue against it, it'll sound like they're arguing to kill homosexuals, which some of them probably won't mind, but will make them look very silly.

Sorry, but doesn't making them look silly depend on them not already looking silly? That boat sailed long ago.

http://www.citizenlink.com/2014/04/...f-prayer-fasting-and-repentance-for-marriage/

"The Family Foundation is asking that you join us for 40 Days of Prayer, Fasting and Repentance for Marriage from August 27 until October 5, 2014. Our state and nation are mired in a morass of confusion and post-modern thinking that does not believe in absolutes nor that any truth can even be known. Nowhere is this more evident than in the current debate raging about what constitutes marriage. Pagan philosophies, a secular humanist education establishment and an entertainment industry that is absolutely determined in pushing the envelope on decency and morality have all combined to turn this great land into a country that our forefathers could not even begin to recognize."

To them I say, "Go for it!"

At the age of 74 and already slight of build, Mahatma Gandhi, the famous nonviolent campaigner for India's independence, survived 21 days of total starvation while only allowing himself sips of water. In a 1997 article in the British Medical Journal, Michael Peel, senior medical examiner at the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture, cites well-documented studies reporting survivals of other hunger strikers for 28, 36, 38 and 40 days.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-long-can-a-person-sur/

Ooh! Since bumper sticker jingoism seems to last better than reasoned argument, maybe we need a campaign to counter the 'starve away the gay' movement.

"Buffet Away the 'pray away the gay' Day?"

To them I say, "Go for it!"

At the age of 74 and already slight of build, Mahatma Gandhi, the famous nonviolent campaigner for India's independence, survived 21 days of total starvation while only allowing himself sips of water. In a 1997 article in the British Medical Journal, Michael Peel, senior medical examiner at the Medical Foundation for the Care of Victims of Torture, cites well-documented studies reporting survivals of other hunger strikers for 28, 36, 38 and 40 days.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-long-can-a-person-sur/

Aren't you assuming they won't cheat?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, but doesn't making them look silly depend on them not already looking silly? That boat sailed long ago.

You have to remember that we have a lot of fence-sitters here who declare "Both sides are exactly as bad."

I think that group can be reached when they hear all those good Christians arguing against homosexuals existing.

Aren't you assuming they won't cheat?
Hope so!
I mean, we have examples and medical records of people who fast for more than a religious holiday's duration.
We should be able to see who's managed forty days of realio-trulio fasting, and 'for the photo op' fasting and 'well, i told my pastor i was fasting but it was my anniversary/birthday/there was this baseball game' fasting.

Then we can point and laugh at people who really aren't dedicated more to hurting themselves than accepting other humans as having rights....

Back
Top Bottom