• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christianity Really Sucks

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
That is deeply harmful. I hope there is a secular way to bring them to justice.

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
It is not confined to Christian colleges and universities. Dimissing sexual assault on campus is an ongoing problem. I think federal law says schools have to report sexual assault, but from reporting it does not always happen.

Allso admistraors or even student bodes can rule on it and hand out punishmeny for allegations. Police never hear pf it.

Basic Beliefs
Truth Seeker

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
It is not confined to Christian colleges and universities. Dimissing sexual assault on campus is an ongoing problem. I think federal law says schools have to report sexual assault, but from reporting it does not always happen.
I probably shouldn't be writing a word about it, but..

At a certain college campus where I may or may not work, the Title IX coordinator - ie., the person whose job and sole responsibility it is to ensure that these things get reported - is reportedly currently under investigation for allegedly harassing a student when she contacted him to ask for help. I'm livid.

I can't picture something like what's described in the article happening at a secular college, though. I mean, the student is at least being taken seriously now, and the incident investigated. If these allegations are true, Visible is trying to actively enforce a code of morality that destroys student lives instead of helping them.

On the other hand, it could be argued that the federal government is also responsible here. The college isn't lying about not having an obligation to report allegations of off-campus rape, the colleges have in fact been forbidden to do so ever since Trump "revised" (read: intentionally eviscerated) the enforcement of Title IX legislation in 2020.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Secular school faculty are all pure of heart?

One of the biggest sex abuse scandals was a decades long cover up at Penn State of sexual abuse by a coach of football players. The cover up went all tye way up to tthe president.

To the OP a private school is free to set conditions of attendance. I don't see much controversy in the link.

The Penn State child sex abuse scandal concerned allegations and subsequent convictions of child sexual abuse committed by Jerry Sandusky, an assistant coach for the Penn State Nittany Lions football team, over a period of at least fifteen years. The scandal began to emerge publicly in March 2011 and broke in early November 2011 when Sandusky was indicted on 52 counts of child molestation, stemming from incidents that occurred between 1994 and 2009.[1] Sandusky was ultimately convicted on 45 counts of child sexual abuse on June 22, 2012,[2] and was sentenced to a minimum of 30 years and a maximum of 60 years in prison.[3]

Additionally, three Penn State officials – school president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley – were charged with perjury, obstruction of justice, failure to report suspected child abuse, and related charges.[4] The Penn State Board of Trustees commissioned an independent investigation by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, whose report stated that Penn State's longtime head football coach Joe Paterno, along with Spanier, Curley and Schultz, had known about allegations of child abuse by Sandusky as early as 1998, had shown "total and consistent disregard...for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims", and "empowered" Sandusky to continue his acts of abuse by failing to disclose them.[5]: 14 [6][7] Shortly after the scandal broke, Spanier resigned. The Board of Trustees terminated the contracts of Paterno and Curley.

As a result of the scandal, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) imposed sanctions on the Penn State football program: a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and a vacation of all victories from 1998 to 2011.[8] These sanctions were considered to be among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school. NCAA President Mark Emmert stated that the sanctions were levied "not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture and daily mindset in which football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people."[9][10] The Big Ten Conference subsequently imposed an additional $13 million fine.[11]

The Paterno family retained former Attorney General Richard Thornburgh to conduct a review of the Freeh report, which concluded that the report constituted a "rush to injustice" that could not be relied upon[12][13] and that Freeh's evidence fell "far short" of showing that Joe Paterno attempted to conceal the scandal, but rather that "the contrary is true".[13] In January 2013, state senator Jake Corman and state treasurer Rob McCord sued the NCAA, seeking to overturn the Penn State sanctions on the basis that Freeh had been actively collaborating with the organization and that due process had not been followed. In November 2014, Corman released emails showing "regular and substantive" contact between Freeh's investigators and the NCAA, suggesting that Freeh's conclusions were orchestrated.[14] As part of a settlement, the NCAA restored the 111 wins to Paterno's record on January 16, 2015.[15][10]

On March 25, 2017, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier pleaded or were found guilty of misdemeanor charges of child endangerment.[16] All conspiracy charges against Curley and Schultz were dropped, and Spanier was acquitted of conspiracy, the charges central to Louis Freeh's allegation of a cover-up.[17][18] In June 2017, all three were sentenced to jail terms, fines, and probation for the misdemeanors.[19] Spanier was sentenced to four to twelve months in jail, a $7,500 fine, and two years of probation.[20] Spanier's misdemeanor conviction was overturned by the federal district court, but reinstated by the court of appeals in December 2020.[21][22]

Tigers!

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Bible believing revelational redemptionist (Baptist)
Secular school faculty are all pure of heart?

One of the biggest sex abuse scandals was a decades long cover up at Penn State of sexual abuse by a coach of football players. The cover up went all tye way up to tthe president.

To the OP a private school is free to set conditions of attendance. I don't see much controversy in the link.

The Penn State child sex abuse scandal concerned allegations and subsequent convictions of child sexual abuse committed by Jerry Sandusky, an assistant coach for the Penn State Nittany Lions football team, over a period of at least fifteen years. The scandal began to emerge publicly in March 2011 and broke in early November 2011 when Sandusky was indicted on 52 counts of child molestation, stemming from incidents that occurred between 1994 and 2009.[1] Sandusky was ultimately convicted on 45 counts of child sexual abuse on June 22, 2012,[2] and was sentenced to a minimum of 30 years and a maximum of 60 years in prison.[3]

Additionally, three Penn State officials – school president Graham Spanier, vice president Gary Schultz and athletic director Tim Curley – were charged with perjury, obstruction of justice, failure to report suspected child abuse, and related charges.[4] The Penn State Board of Trustees commissioned an independent investigation by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, whose report stated that Penn State's longtime head football coach Joe Paterno, along with Spanier, Curley and Schultz, had known about allegations of child abuse by Sandusky as early as 1998, had shown "total and consistent disregard...for the safety and welfare of Sandusky's child victims", and "empowered" Sandusky to continue his acts of abuse by failing to disclose them.[5]: 14 [6][7] Shortly after the scandal broke, Spanier resigned. The Board of Trustees terminated the contracts of Paterno and Curley.

As a result of the scandal, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) imposed sanctions on the Penn State football program: a $60 million fine, a four-year postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and a vacation of all victories from 1998 to 2011.[8] These sanctions were considered to be among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school. NCAA President Mark Emmert stated that the sanctions were levied "not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture and daily mindset in which football will never again be placed ahead of educating, nurturing and protecting young people."[9][10] The Big Ten Conference subsequently imposed an additional $13 million fine.[11]

The Paterno family retained former Attorney General Richard Thornburgh to conduct a review of the Freeh report, which concluded that the report constituted a "rush to injustice" that could not be relied upon[12][13] and that Freeh's evidence fell "far short" of showing that Joe Paterno attempted to conceal the scandal, but rather that "the contrary is true".[13] In January 2013, state senator Jake Corman and state treasurer Rob McCord sued the NCAA, seeking to overturn the Penn State sanctions on the basis that Freeh had been actively collaborating with the organization and that due process had not been followed. In November 2014, Corman released emails showing "regular and substantive" contact between Freeh's investigators and the NCAA, suggesting that Freeh's conclusions were orchestrated.[14] As part of a settlement, the NCAA restored the 111 wins to Paterno's record on January 16, 2015.[15][10]

On March 25, 2017, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier pleaded or were found guilty of misdemeanor charges of child endangerment.[16] All conspiracy charges against Curley and Schultz were dropped, and Spanier was acquitted of conspiracy, the charges central to Louis Freeh's allegation of a cover-up.[17][18] In June 2017, all three were sentenced to jail terms, fines, and probation for the misdemeanors.[19] Spanier was sentenced to four to twelve months in jail, a $7,500 fine, and two years of probation.[20] Spanier's misdemeanor conviction was overturned by the federal district court, but reinstated by the court of appeals in December 2020.[21][22]
There is a Netfix series about this. It is harrowing watching.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
It is just as bad the RCC.
I expect not. The Penn State thing was one guy of inordinate power getting away with it because of his individual inordinate power AFAIK.

The RCC is layers of shuffling of abusers between parishes to keep the names and identities fresh and nigh infinite pools of money and enablers of the same ilk on every side, or enough sides that it's eminently easy to hide and be hidden.

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
I expect not. The Penn State thing was one guy of inordinate power getting away with it because of his individual inordinate power AFAIK.

The RCC is layers of shuffling of abusers between parishes to keep the names and identities fresh and nigh infinite pools of money and enablers of the same ilk on every side, or enough sides that it's eminently easy to hide and be hidden.
It was te same cover up and looking the other way in both cases.

One can carry anti religion too far by trying to say sex abuse in secular institutions is not as bad as the relgious. The staistic quoted was that by prcntage of poulation sex abuse in the RCC may hve been lower than the general population. It was the ongoing coverup.

Athletics with teens is rdlled with sex abuse. Consider the man who as a gymnastics coach and trainer abused young girls for years.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

It was te same cover up and looking the other way in both cases.

One can carry anti religion too far by trying to say sex abuse in secular institutions is not as bad as the relgious. The staistic quoted was that by prcntage of poulation sex abuse in the RCC may hve been lower than the general population. It was the ongoing coverup.

Athletics with teens is rdlled with sex abuse. Consider the man who as a gymnastics coach and trainer abused young girls for years.
I recognize it happens and it's bad, it's just a lot harder as such a person to pick up shop, disappear, and abuse elsewhere under that generic name like "Father Paul" in the public education system..

steve_bank

Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
From reporting there are teachers with a history of sex abuse who do manage to find jobs elsewhere.

It is endemic to culture.

The Boy Scouts sex abuse scandal. Again like the RCC it became more about the cover up than the crime.

The problem with the RCC is the arrogant position that they are above secular civil law. They had to be coerced and shamed into reporting all claims of abuse to police.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I would agree with steve_bank.

The response from authority often seems to be "come on, it was only rape."

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
It does suck.

The internet is a big place. You can find someone, somewhere, saying nearly any stupid things you can think of.

I remember watching a panel of BLM leaders justifying the looting at demonstrations as reparations. I didn't find them credible as representatives of all BLM supporters.
Tom

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
That's true but those homophobe ideas are legitimately in their Bible. The more fundamentalist or traditional a sect is, the more homophobic it is.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
That's true but those homophobe ideas are legitimately in their Bible. The more fundamentalist or traditional a sect is, the more homophobic it is.
Which do you think happens more often?

BLM supporters loot stores.

Christians line up gays behind a firing squad.

One of these dumbasseries is a much bigger problem than the other. Which do you think it is?
Tom

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

One of these dumbasseries is a much bigger problem than the other. Which do you think it is?
Tom
I would say it's whichever set of people between them has massive gun collections.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
I would say it's whichever set of people between them has massive gun collections.
Both groups have massive gun collections.
Tom
I'm sorry, the current gun control thread has a good picture that sums up the problem.

Granted there is some question as to whether the guns of the "BLM supporters" (really, gang members being painted as BLM supporters for the sake of smearing the people) actually originated from the gun-collecting likely-occasionally-gun-selling Christian right.

I'm more concerned with the folks who brag about having enough guns in a single house to field an entire battalion.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
I'm more concerned with the folks who brag about having enough guns in a single house to field an entire battalion.

I understand that about you.

I'm more concerned about the folks who get shot.
Tom

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

I understand that about you.

I'm more concerned about the folks who get shot.
Tom
The thing is, I'm forward-thinking enough to recognize that society faces an existential threat from uncontrolled right wing militias, and these are populated by the same people spewing violent, active rhetoric at rooms full of heavily armed folks about shooting gay people.

We should be able to understand as a society where that kind of radicalization leads.

And there are plenty of black folks, to be fair, among the Israelites, who are preaching similar, but by my count the Christian nutters way outnumber them.

Either way it is radicalization from the pulpit and it's not OK.

My neighbor down the next block might be slinging dope and might even have a handful of guns, but I can pretty well guarantee he doesn't see me on the street and think "imma make me some faggots dead when things start gittin' crazy".

I'm not so sure about the white trash looking mother fucker with the Trump flag and the angel statues littering his yard that lives on the next block the other way.

Politesse

Lux Aeterna
Basic Beliefs
Jedi Wayseeker
Both groups have massive gun collections.
Tom
If that's true, then two dangerous radical Christian demographics would be made less dangerous by reasonable gun control policy. But it doesn't make either any less of a threat to say, "well, there are other dangerous groups, tooo"....

jab

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
non-militant atheist

Tom
replace "Christians" with "religious fundamentalists", and re-ask your question.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs

Tom
replace "Christians" with "religious fundamentalists", and re-ask your question.
TomC wasn't the one whose job put him in front of watching videos of gay folks being tossed off roofs 30 miles east of where they were sitting at the time.

Those fundamentalists were plenty trouble. A joint raid by two battalions worth of trouble, I think.

If you think it can't happen here, in the land of the Gun and secure private messaging, you may need to think harder about that.

Context: someone on TikTok discusses a recent bust of some Christian fundamentalists/Nazis/supremacists/whatever from across the nation getting ready to fuck up a PRIDE parade.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
TomC wasn't the one whose job put him in front of watching videos of gay folks being tossed off roofs 30 miles east of where they were sitting at the time.
Is there a point to this? Other than a personal gratuitous attack on me because you don't like me?

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Is there a point to this? Other than a personal gratuitous attack on me because you don't like me?
You implied that religious zealots committing violence with stockpiled weapons wasn't an issue. I pointed out that view did not take into account all the realities

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
You implied that religious zealots committing violence with stockpiled weapons wasn't an issue. I pointed out that view did not take into account all the realities
The bottom line is that this is about your personal opinion about me, not anything I said.

You can use vague phrases like "You implied", and "all the realities",
then attribute things to me that I didn't say and don't believe.

But if it works for you,
Bless Your Heart!

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
The bottom line is that this is about your personal opinion about me, not anything I said.

You can use vague phrases like "You implied", and "all the realities",
then attribute things to me that I didn't say and don't believe.

But if it works for you,
Bless Your Heart!
You asked which problem was bigger problem on the basis of which happened more.

I reckon gay people are murdered more often than riots which result in looting.

There are towns and regions that gay people in the US just know not to travel through, or even near to.

I think armed religious fundamentalists are still the bigger problem. I thought it more charitable to assume you just weren't aware than to assume you cared more about the looters.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

Tom

Right winged dumbasses attack Asians, and sometimes kill Black Americans. Think Trayvon Martin and others.

JC1432

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
follow the evidence

Tom

Right winged dumbasses attack Asians, and sometimes kill Black Americans. Think Trayvon Martin and others.
you people are clueless, no one is a homophobe. you don't even know what the word means so you spout out mindless garbage. your comments are so stupid it is beyond any measure i can imagine. so christians line up behind firing squads. whoever wrote that has zero capability to engage in any possibility of a intellectual discussion

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
Tjhe
you people are clueless, no one is a homophobe. you don't even know what the word means so you spout out mindless garbage. your comments are so stupid it is beyond any measure i can imagine. so christians line up behind firing squads. whoever wrote that has zero capability to engage in any possibility of a intellectual discussion

The Christian that wants to sentence all gays to death is not a homophobe? Someone doth protest too much.

JC1432

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
follow the evidence
Christianity - for the clueless out there - is Jesus, who He is (saviour of the world, messiah, God), what He taught, what He commanded, and His life (being a sinless person), and the crucifixion and the resurrection.

to determine a religion if true or not is to look at the TRUTH of what their holy books say. you cannot base an analysis of truth based on abuses of the religion.

that said. Jesus IS christianity, and christians are to obey Him only. He commands as the 2nd command of all to love your neighbors, all people and ENEMIES. NO EXCEPTIONS (1st commnand is to love God)

But love is not possible without truth. telling others the truth, is love, regardless if that truth may be uncomfortable to you or against your worldview. i would think you want to live in truth, not a bunch of lies, so to have a better informed data set to make better decisions on, so to have the best life possible

JC1432

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
follow the evidence
first of all, since you are clueless, let me help you out. there is nothing Jesus (who is the christian faith) said or did to permit death, killing....maybe of course only in self defense.

so since you are clueless about that, you make a uninformed, unsubstantiated claim

if you are posting here about christianity, why don't you read up on it more so you do not continue to uninformed, unsubstantiated claims

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Christianity - for the clueless out there - is Jesus, who He is (saviour of the world, messiah, God), what He taught, what He commanded, and His life (being a sinless person), and the crucifixion and the resurrection.

to determine a religion if true or not is to look at the TRUTH of what their holy books say. you cannot base an analysis of truth based on abuses of the religion.

that said. Jesus IS christianity, and christians are to obey Him only. He commands as the 2nd command of all to love your neighbors, all people and ENEMIES. NO EXCEPTIONS (1st commnand is to love God)

But love is not possible without truth. telling others the truth, is love, regardless if that truth may be uncomfortable to you or against your worldview. i would think you want to live in truth, not a bunch of lies, so to have a better informed data set to make better decisions on, so to have the best life possible

Jesus commands his followers to sell all they have and give to the poor. To abandon homes, farms and family and sit around waiting for the end of this world. That was to happen soon, soon, so very soon! To not pray in public. Make no religious oaths. Such as the pledge of allegience. Lend to all that ask and do not demand repayment. And more. Oh, and read Acts 4. God commands Christians become communists.

Have you sold all you have and given to the poor as commanded by Jesus? So many Bible thumpers out there who utterly refuse to follow the commands of Jesus while barking angrily at us atheists. If you Christians do not believe in Jesus, why do you expect us atheists to do so?

JC1432

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
follow the evidence
All across this nation, right winged Christians are working nonstop to ban same sex marriage. Your ignorance is amazing.
i am really sorry to tell you this and i am NOT trying to offend anyone, but homosexuality is NOT normal, God's intention for our body parts and relationships, and should not be accepted in society. we are a nation that is supposed to have morals. if not then chaos breaks out, and satan (100% sin) breaks out in full force of decadence. you see it now happening with our disrespectful, violent, immoral generation that has come up in society

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist

Christianity is any religion based on beliefs about Jesus, a character in the New Testament. There are lots of Christianities, not just your Christianity.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
Homosexuality has been noted to ocur widely in the animal kingdom. It is indeed normal. And if God hates homosexuality, why does God create homosexuals?

There is also the fact the Pentateuch is faux history. As noted by many immanent Near East archaeologists. The was no Egyptian captivity, no exodus, no bloody genocidal invasion of Canaan. No Mose on the mount getting 613 laws from God. The hateful hammer verses of Leviticus 18 and 20 are not commands of God , but are lies from some ancient lying, bigoted, billy goat herder priest. These lies 2,700 years later are still reaching down to us to cause bigotry, hate, and bad religion.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
first of all, since you are clueless, let me help you out. there is nothing Jesus (who is the christian faith) said or did to permit death, killing....maybe of course only in self defense.

so since you are clueless about that, you make a uninformed, unsubstantiated claim

if you are posting here about christianity, why don't you read up on it more so you do not continue to uninformed, unsubstantiated claims

Clearly other Christians disagree with you, you'll have to take it up with them.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
All across this nation, right winged Christians are working nonstop to ban same sex marriage. Your ignorance is amazing.
i am really sorry to tell you this and i am NOT trying to offend anyone, but homosexuality is NOT normal, God's intention for our body parts and relationships, and should not be accepted in society.

If it looks like a homophobe, swims like a homophobe, and preaches like a homophobe, then...

we are a nation that is supposed to have morals. if not then chaos breaks out, and satan (100% sin) breaks out in full force of decadence. you see it now happening with our disrespectful, violent, immoral generation that has come up in society

Every generation is immoral, and moral.

JC1432

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
follow the evidence
i am really sorry to tell you this and i am NOT trying to offend anyone, but homosexuality is NOT normal, God's intention for our body parts and relationships, and should not be accepted in society.

If it looks like a homophobe, swims like a homophobe, and preaches like a homophobe, then...

we are a nation that is supposed to have morals. if not then chaos breaks out, and satan (100% sin) breaks out in full force of decadence. you see it now happening with our disrespectful, violent, immoral generation that has come up in society

sure, but that doesn't me we let the gates open for everything. we should go back to where it should be. do you agree?

by the way a better question is what/who is the sources of objective moral values (that transcend all peoples, cultures, time, places)?

JC1432

Banned
Banned
Basic Beliefs
follow the evidence

hahahaha so funny! you all don't even know what the correct definition for a "phobe" you mindlessly blabb it not even thinking.....so clueless. so tell me what a homophobe is and why you think that because i think homosexuality is not normal, which is a fact, why is that being a "phobe"

Top Bottom