• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christianity Really Sucks

I mean, it's a fucking evil religion. Fucking evil. At least when it comes to fundamentalists.

When it was about helping others and controlling yourself, it can be a great thing -- once people realized it was more useful to control others and help yourself, it went right down the crapper.

I wonder sometimes if I will have the self-awareness my grandfather had.

He knew when it was time to stop driving.

When I start failing basic metal functions tests as badly as that, I would hope to still be capable and clever enough to say goodbye and make it stick.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."
- Jack Handey

I mean, it's a fucking evil religion. Fucking evil. At least when it comes to fundamentalists.

When it was about helping others and controlling yourself, it can be a great thing -- once people realized it was more useful to control others and help yourself, it went right down the crapper.

What did that take - about ten minutes?

The 19th century Christian values of self moderation and delayed gratification are largely gone. The Protestant work ethic.

In the 90s the 'success gospel' appeared. God wants you to be rich.

Billy Gram became welthy and created a relgious empire. Perhaps the prototype for the wealthy preachers who have mega churches.

A fundamental principle of Buddhism is self moderation. The Middle Way, avoid both excesses and self deprivation. Not unlike Christianity of the past.

The NFL quarterback Russel Wilson in public always thanks god for giving him his success. Fame and wealth.

To me today Christians helping others is more of a condescension. We are going to help those poor ignrant black Farcans. The White Man's Burden. Where white meant white Christian.

Natve America kids in Canada and USA forced into Chrtian schols stipped of ther anguage and culture.

Yes, Chrtian faith does motivare some to do good things. I read Mother Teresa's book. She appears to have been genuine, althugh she had her detractors.

The RCC global charities do good things, but it is always attached to promoting the RCC.

Today probably isn't the day for me to answer that - I just got permabanned from ChristianForums for "contempt of Christianity."

(If I didn't have contempt for them before, I sure as hell have it now..)

Today probably isn't the day for me to answer that - I just got permabanned from ChristianForums for "contempt of Christianity."

(If I didn't have contempt for them before, I sure as hell have it now..)
Cancellations, brought to you by the purest snowflakes of them all.

No worries folks, there's some Christians about on this forum who'll be happy to engage here. :)

Oh goody. I was afraid that might not be the case. And right when I had a moment to discuss my Lord and Savior!!
:hysterical:

No worries folks, there's some Christians about on this forum who'll be happy to engage here. :)
Can one be a rich exploitative capitalist and be Christian?

Not sure, depending on what you mean here by exploitative etc.. Does he feed the poor and and hungry with that wealth? Does he love his neighbor and all that as according to Jesus?

Not sure, depending on what you mean here by exploitative etc.. Does he feed the poor and and hungry with that wealth? Does he love his neighbor and all that as according to Jesus?
The quetion is clear.

Didn't Jesus sat one who has little that gives to the poor is better than a yorcitcal rish person who gives a little?

Capitalism is by nature exploitative. Business seeks to minimize benefits and wages even when a company like Amazon is making obscene profits.

You are doing the usual Christian two step.

The new Dallas Cowboys stadium cost upwards of 1 billion dollars, yet Dallas like all major cities have issues with affordable housing. The club owner is Chrtiation. That is free market capitalism. No bounds on wealth and no requiremnt to do any social good with wealth.

Can one be capitalist and Christian? Going by the gospels I'd say definitely not.

Wealthy Chrtians where morlity on their sleeves by contributing to charities, but do little to improve life.

People who share their wealth don't generally become wealthy, Joel.

Can one be capitalist and Christian? Going by the gospels I'd say definitely not.
I agree. It seems pretty clear that, according to the gospels, personal acquisitions are a problem for being Jesus-like.

After a rich fellow assured Jesus he has obeyed all the commandments, Jesus said the fellow needed to do more: to sell all he possesses, give the money to the poor, and when he did so he'd find treasure in heaven. Then Jesus feels sad because the guy chose to continue with his virtuous but stingy, me-centric life.

the rise of Militant Christian Nationalism is the problem, IMO. The moderate, relatively tolerant Christianity of the 60s and earlier was a lot easier to live with. It all got going because Conservative Christians could not handle the social changes that took place in the 60s.

the rise of Militant Christian Nationalism is the problem, IMO. The moderate, relatively tolerant Christianity of the 60s and earlier was a lot easier to live with. It all got going because Conservative Christians could not handle the social changes that took place in the 60s.
Again, recorded history.

Christian nationalism began early in Christianity. It has always been there, thelink between church and state.

The foners mangeg to keep relgion from being encoded into the constition, despie attempts to do so.

As to capitalism. I suppose my point is poor at the bottom is built into the system. Despite the fact that with moren manufactuing and agriculture we can feed and house ecvryone, along with providing education and medical care. This conservatves vigorously oppose,

Oppose abortion because god says all life is sacred. Yet when the baby pops out sorry kid you are on your own. A clear Christian hypocrisy. I put that in the Christianity sucks category.

Back
Top Bottom