• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Christians are crucifying each other

ideologyhunter

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism/beatnikism
The best-known example happens every year in the farming village of San Pedro Cutud, Philippines, and is described in its wikipedia article, San Pedro Cutud Lenten Rites. Every year, at least 3 penitents are chosen to be nailed to a cross and left hanging there about 10 minutes, or until they signal that they feel they are washed free of their sins. Last year, 8 penitents were crucified. The ceremony is legally protected in the Philippines, and there has been some push to get the rite added to the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Lists, to make it a protected tradition with world recognition. When The Week covered the rite (issue of 4/21/23), the piece closed with a quote from Kitty Ennett, a tourist from Ireland, who said what she saw was "a very religious experience."
Can you imagine traveling to San Pedro Cutud to watch the locals nail each other to a cross? I'd like to see the tchotchkes on sale, and the food vendors -- 'I'll have the lamb kebab, and the kids want cinnamon Jesus on a stick.'
I'd call it an exceedingly religious experience -- maybe a definitional one. And seeing how performative our religious right MAGA types are.... Can you imagine the boost Trump would get, from a 10 minute crucifixion? (Obviously he'd get Eric to wear an orange pompadour wig...) "He survived having a landslide victory stolen from him...indictment after indictment...criminal conviction...Jimmy Kimmel monologues...two assassination attempts, and counting...and a CRUCIFIXION. He is the man God has called to lead our nation. I am Donald J. Trump, and with bloody little hands, I approved this message."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom