• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Comet

robnisch

Basic Beliefs
None
Can you Ausies can see it now?
Should be visible in the US in October.
Been a long time since I saw one.

All I had to do was open up my kitchen cabinet door under my sink to see Comet. Didn't have to wait till night either. I could turn it over and it leave a nice white trail but that would be a mess I'd have to clean up. :ROFLMAO: :sneaky: :ROFLMAO:

Riddle. How can you be in Texas and Australia at the same time?

All I had to do was open up my kitchen cabinet door under my sink to see Comet. Didn't have to wait till night either. I could turn it over and it leave a nice white trail but that would be a mess I'd have to clean up. :ROFLMAO: :sneaky: :ROFLMAO:

That's easy - go to Goondiwindi, and follow the signs.

Solution?

Qantas can fly you from Melbourne to Dallas and land you an hour before you take off?

According to flightcentre.com.au, the quickest Qantas flight currently available is 15 hours and 50 minutes (non-stop MEL>DFW), and there is a 15 hour time difference, so your flight would need to be 50 minutes early. Check for favourable jet-stream conditions before you go.

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 15-16-44 Flight Centre Australia Availability.png

Or wait for DST to commence in Melbourne on the first Monday in October; That should get you there with ten minutes to spare.

For added safety margin, you could wait for DST to finish in Dallas at the beginning of November, and have a cushion of an hour and fifty minutes.

Solution?

Qantas can fly you from Melbourne to Dallas and land you an hour before you take off?

According to flightcentre.com.au, the quickest Qantas flight currently available is 15 hours and 50 minutes (non-stop MEL>DFW), and there is a 15 hour time difference, so your flight would need to be 50 minutes early. Check for favourable jet-stream conditions before you go.

View attachment 47851
Those are gate-to-gate times, not takeoff-to-landing. Here are the recorded numbers for today's flight, landed a minute ago...

Departure Times
Gate Departure
01:08PM AEST
Scheduled 01:00PM AEST
Takeoff
01:21PM AEST
Scheduled 01:10PM AEST
Taxi Time: 13 minutes
Arrival Times
Landing
01:30PM CDT
Scheduled 02:08PM CDT
Gate Arrival
01:40PM CDT
Scheduled 01:50PM CDT

So, 15 hours 9 minutes. With wind variations, looks like sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Or wait for DST to commence in Melbourne on the first Monday in October; That should get you there with ten minutes to spare.
Ah. I looked up the flight before I posted my solution -- that explains why the numbers I saw showed it working.

For added safety margin, you could wait for DST to finish in Dallas at the beginning of November, and have a cushion of an hour and fifty minutes.
Actually the safety margin is always there. Australia and Texas are big places. Based on the flight map, looks like it takes half an hour to get from Melbourne to the edge of Australia, and another half an hour to get from the edge of Texas to Dallas. :beers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom