• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Common Misunderstandings about Artificial Intelligence

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist
There is also a thread about this, specifically, already.

Sorry, but I just now spotted it. I didn't actually know it was posted in this forum, because I thought it was germane enough to simply add it to this thread rather than start a new thread. Those who wish to see the dedicated thread can find it here:

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

Sorry, but I just now spotted it. I didn't actually know it was posted in this forum, because I thought it was germane enough to simply add it to this thread rather than start a new thread. Those who wish to see the dedicated thread can find it here:
It's fine. To be fair I'm a little obsessed with certain ideas so I'm going to just be .. on it?

At any rate, if I'm being too much, just DM me. I'm really more social than I come off as

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist

It's fine. To be fair I'm a little obsessed with certain ideas so I'm going to just be .. on it?

At any rate, if I'm being too much, just DM me. I'm really more social than I come off as

I don't find you in need of any social improvement, Jahryn. :) I just missed your thread, because I don't normally scan topics in forums regularly. I would have posted in your thread rather than here, if I had known about it. I also have no real problem with your obsessions, but we do have interests that seem to diverge at times. I respond more when they converge.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Returning to  Progress in artificial intelligence I must note that the incomplete-information games are all stochastic. There is, however, a deterministic incomplete-information game: Battleship. Players give each other hit coordinates, and they reveal if the other player's hit coordinates were for a ship or not.
  • Det, cmpl: (solved) tic-tac-toe, Connect Four, checkers, (superhuman) reversi (Othello), chess, Go
  • Sto, cmpl: (superhuman) backgammon
  • Det, incp: (?) Battleship
  • Sto, incp (solved?) some poker, (superhuman) Scrabble, some poker, (high-human) bridge (card game)
  • Deterministic (det) = game state is completely determined by a fixed initial condition and the players' actions.
  • Stochastic (sto) = game state involves an additional random element, like card shuffle or throw of dice.
  • Complete information (cmpl): each player has access to all the game state, something typical of board games.
  • Incomplete information (incp): each player has access to only some of the game states, something typical of card games.
Not surprisingly, most card games are stochastic and incomplete-information.

It's significant that the most success has been with complete-information games, and most board games are such games.

I've found a little bit of AI work on Battleship, but not much. I've also found some mention of bluffing in AI poker, but also not very much. How well do AI players bluff? How vulnerable are they to bluffing?

Top Bottom