• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Conservatives politicizing forest fires

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Oregon is on fire. I'm spending a week in Salem this week: very poor timing! It was night all day Tuesday. Thousands and thousands of acres are on fire. Entire towns like Detroit, Idanha, Mill City, and several others are gone. The word with the conservatives is that it's all Kate Brown's fault (Oregon's Democratic governor). Why you ask? Because she's against clear cutting. And clear cutting will prevent forest fires. Just like how the world is 10,000 years old and global warming is a myth.

The fact is that clear cutting makes forest fires worse. Selective logging (which most environmentalists favor) minimizes the effects of forest fires.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181113-five-myths-about-wildfires

Here's the deal, people who don't follow science (Trump and most conservatives today) should not be trusted.

Oregon is on fire. I'm spending a week in Salem this week: very poor timing! It was night all day Tuesday. Thousands and thousands of acres are on fire. Entire towns like Detroit, Idanha, Mill City, and several others are gone. The word with the conservatives is that it's all Kate Brown's fault (Oregon's Democratic governor). Why you ask? Because she's against clear cutting. And clear cutting will prevent forest fires. Just like how the world is 10,000 years old and global warming is a myth.

The fact is that clear cutting makes forest fires worse. Selective logging (which most environmentalists favor) minimizes the effects of forest fires.

Here's the deal, people who don't follow science (Trump and most conservatives today) do not follow science. Therefore, they shouldn't be trusted.

All true. They ain't foolin' nobody but their gullible base.

Also along those lines, Reno airport canceled Trump's visit due to violation of 50 person limit, but of course they're saying it's tEh dEmOcRaTs.

I thought all you had to do was buy boxes of forest rakes from Finland (the brand name is something like Rakey-Skakeys) and rake up all the brush. A perfectly Republican forest has all the brush raked up and made into mulch for decorative plantings at golf courses. Don't these dumb-ass Democrat governors know this? C'mon, people, listen to the President that God gave you.

I thought all you had to do was buy boxes of forest rakes from Finland (the brand name is something like Rakey-Skakeys) and rake up all the brush. A perfectly Republican forest has all the brush raked up and made into mulch for decorative plantings at golf courses. Don't these dumb-ass Democrat governors know this? C'mon, people, listen to the President that God gave you.

How would Democrats know about raking? That's honest physical labour that only real Americans know how to do (and would do if all the raking jobs weren't being stolen by furiners). Democrats only know how to get rich off handouts.

Some of these forest fires are clearly started by leftists though. Like that fire started by the gender reveal party. Turned the sky black, grey and orange. What the hell gender is that? There are only two genders: blue and pink. Anti-science, liberal snowflakes.

Not one shred of evidence that these wildfires are caused by climate change or due to climate change, none.

Some of these forest fires are clearly started by leftists though. Like that fire started by the gender reveal party. Turned the sky black, grey and orange. What the hell gender is that? There are only two genders: blue and pink. Anti-science, liberal snowflakes.

Are you feeling alright fella ? You seem a bit off. But in any event almost all wildfires in California are down to human interactions in one form or another. Whether it be a gender reveal party or PG&E shoddy equipment or carelessness with fireworks or whatever.

Klimate change, a kult- like religion.

Not one shred of evidence that these wildfires are caused by climate change or due to climate change, none.

Yes, climate change is almost certainly fueling California’s massive fires

MIT Technology Review said:
Climate scientists, who long resisted linking global warming to any specific extreme event, now say its influence is all but certain.

David Romps, director of the Berkeley Atmospheric Sciences Center, said in an email that we’re living in a fundamentally climate-altered world. He noted that average daily highs for this time of year are now about 3˚ or 4˚ F warmer in Berkeley, California, than at the beginning of the 20th century. He was also the lead author of a 2014 Science paper finding that every additional 1 ˚C (1.8 ˚F) of warming could increase lightning strikes over the US by about 12%.

“To cut to the chase: Were the heat wave and the lightning strikes and the dryness of the vegetation affected by global warming? Absolutely yes,” Romps said. “Were they made significantly hotter, more numerous, and drier because of global warming? Yes, likely yes, and yes.”

Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles, said that the prolonged lightning storms in recent days are such a rare occurrence in Northern California that it’s hard to assess whether climate change played a role in sparking the fires.

But so-called extreme weather attribution studies have clearly and repeatedly found that climate change exacerbates heat waves, which help create the conditions for wildfires to burn intensely and spread rapidly.

“Almost certainly “ oh well in that case ......

A cult like-religion.

You said there was "Not one shred of evidence that these wildfires are caused by climate change or due to climate change, none."

I showed you an article quoting climate scientists saying climate change is almost certainly fueling California’s massive fires, with links to evidence that supports that finding.

There's plenty of evidence with more being collected every day. NOAA even put their climate data online and provides helpful analysis to separate out mere weather events and oscillations like El Niño.

Wanna see it?

Causa on Twitter: "Mexican firefighters are volunteering to come to Oregon to help us! #orpol #orleg #OregonFires #OregonFires2020 https://t.co/KItLxDMatJ" / Twitter
noting
Bomberos guanajuatenses se suman a lucha contra incendios en Oregon
Bomberos guanajuatenses se suman a lucha contra incendios en Oregon

Un grupo de bomberos de Guanajuato capital se preparan para viajar a Ashland, Oregon para ayudar a enfrentar los incendios forestales que afectan a su ciudad hermana.

(Google Translate)

Guanajuato firefighters join the fight against fires in Oregon

A group of firefighters from the Guanajuato capital are preparing to travel to Ashland, Oregon to help deal with the wildfires that affect their sister city.

Sarah❤️🦥❤️ on Twitter: "Shoutout to the Firefighters from Mexico that have come to help ❤️ #OregonIsBurning #oregonwildfire https://t.co/2hUX66Ad9t" / Twitter
Shows a picture of some of them at an airport building near Medford OR.

SarcasticGemi on Twitter: "@SparagusReAnn Mexico helping us while the cheeto who invaded the people's house does nothing. Thank you #Mexico! #OregonFires2020 #OregonIsBurning #oregonfire" / Twitter

Oregon wildfires approach 1 mill. acres, twice the state's yearly average, Gov. Brown says | KATU - Kate Brown
“We are now approaching over 900,000 acres burned across the state," Gov. Brown said. "To put that in perspective, in the last 10 years, we see an average of 500,000 acres burn in an entire year. We've seen that nearly double in the past three days.”
Oregon wildfires: Governor declares emergency, calls situation ‘dangerous’ - oregonlive.com

Blue River Community ‘Total Loss’ – Eugene Weekly - Blue River is east of Eugene on the McKenzie river. It was burned down by the Holiday Farm fire, as it's called.

I myself live in western Eugene, well away from the fire. But the sky looks yellowish and I can smell the smoke. I've even seen a bit of ash from it.

Justin Yau on Twitter: "I'm on Cascade Hwy leading out of Mulino & Molalla. There is a caravan of residents fleeing the area by car. #OregonFires2020 #OregonFires #oregonwildfires https://t.co/tjWBnwGJ3J" / Twitter
This is in Clackamas County.

Jesse on Twitter: "#OregonFires Enchanted Forest in Salem Oregon looks downright Apocalyptic today. https://t.co/DzgaJzuoFo" / Twitter

BLM Oregon & Washington on Twitter: "There are 30 large fires currently burning approximately 1.2 million acres in Oregon and Washington, reports @NWCCInfo -- get the latest info 🔥➡ (links)" / Twitter

BLM Oregon & Washington on Twitter: "Latest satellite imagery shows wildfire smoke above Oregon, Washington and the entire West Coast 🛰📸 @NASA @NOAA #OregonFires #WashingtonFires #CaliforniaFires (link)" / Twitter

Rebecca Lewis on Twitter: "#OregonFires — an area larger than the state of Rhode Island has burned in our state this week." / Twitter
noting
Aaron Mesh on Twitter: "At least 1,400 square miles of Oregon have burned in wildfires this week, Gov. Kate Brown announced Thursday afternoon.

Winds continued to drive fires into populated areas today, especially in Clackamas County. https://t.co/5cevOmhZpt" / Twitter

noting
Wildfires Scorch 1,400 Square Miles of Oregon and Now Burn at Portland’s Doorstep - Willamette Week - "Continuing winds mean much of Clackamas County is being told to evacuate."

Area of Rhode Island = 1,212 mi²

Where is the pResident?

Donald J. Trump on Twitter: "Landing in the Great State of Michigan now. See you soon!" / Twitter - 3:57 PM PDT - Sep 10, 2020

Anjee W on Twitter: "@realDonaldTrump
#Trump a Friendly Reminder...
The West Coast is on Fire,
Just Incase You Decided to Give a Sh!t...
#OregonFires #CaliforniaFires #washingtonfires" / Twitter

Jeffrey Guterman, Ph.D. on Twitter: "Before and after. #CaliforniaFires https://t.co/xAXQQNjLQI" / Twitter

Teuta Skenderi on Twitter: "My dear friend from San Francisco sent me this today.
She took the photo in the middle of the day.
She wrote: ‘the sun never came out’.
#CaliforniaFires https://t.co/uGbxSpLvmH" / Twitter

Showing the western half of the Bay Bridge with its lights on.

Hiking Autism on Twitter: "Beloved #GoldenGateBridge in the haze #SanFrancisco #CaliforniaFires #WestCoastFires https://t.co/2KM7bHRQ2n" / Twitter

Latest: 500,000 people in Oregon forced to flee wildfires
That's over 10% of the state's population of 4.2 million. There are at least three reported deaths from those fires in that state.

Also, "The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says as of Thursday wildfires have scorched nearly 4,844 square miles (12,545 square kilometers) so far this year."

Holiday Farm fire ravages Oregon towns, premier outdoor playground near Eugene: ‘Catastrophic damage’ - oregonlive.com

Picture caption: "The Holiday Farm fire burns along the banks of the McKenzie River near Leaburg Dam."

The word with the conservatives is that it's all Kate Brown's fault (Oregon's Democratic governor). Why you ask? Because she's against clear cutting. And clear cutting will prevent forest fires. Just like how the world is 10,000 years old and global warming is a myth.

Here's the deal, people who don't follow science (Trump and most conservatives today) should not be trusted.

Leftists and environmentalists also cannot be trusted, because they are ignoring the greatest single step which could be taken reduce climate change:

Increase the gas tax!

Instead they're pandering to the crybabies who want their cheap gas. Instant gratification is more important to them than protecting the future.

Why increase the gas tax?

Pom on Twitter: "Crazy to think this photo has no filter. Taken this morning here in Oregon. Stay safe out there! #OregonFires #OregonIsBurning https://t.co/hAgu3Rc6QT" / Twitter - showing a UPS truck with its inside lights on and with bright signal lights. Also notice the house across the street with a room light on.

‘Apocalypse on their mind’: Bay Area transfixed by foreboding, orange, smoke-choked skies - SFChronicle.com - has a big picture album of pictures of that orange sky.

Sort of like the sky of Saturn's moon Titan.

It's beyond me who anyone can deny the influence of climate change on these catastrophic events. But, I guess there are people who are capable of denying anything they don't like.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/10/us/climate-change-california-wildfires.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Multiple mega fires burning more than three million acres. Millions of residents smothered in toxic air. Rolling blackouts and triple-digit heat waves. Climate change, in the words of one scientist, is smacking California in the face.

The crisis in the nation’s most populous state is more than just an accumulation of individual catastrophes. It is also an example of something climate experts have long worried about, but which few expected to see so soon: a cascade effect, in which a series of disasters overlap, triggering or amplifying each other.

“You’re toppling dominoes in ways that Americans haven’t imagined,” said Roy Wright, who directed resilience programs for the Federal Emergency Management Agency until 2018 and grew up in Vacaville, Calif., near one of this year’s largest fires. “It’s apocalyptic.”

I'm actually a little bit surprised that Republicans are playing this game because the other day, I read that quite a few Republicans in the Senate were joining with Democrats to change some environmental rules related to climate change. I don't remember which news source I read it in, because I read so many. If I find it, I'll post it. Apparently, a small number of conservatives are beginning to understand that the word conservative includes conserving the environment that all of us, including big business relies on for our quality of life or in the case of corporations, the ability to make a profit. But, I digress.

If climate change was a somewhat abstract notion a decade ago, today it is all too real for Californians. The intensely hot wildfires are not only chasing thousands of people from their homes but causing dangerous chemicals to leach into drinking water. Excessive heat warnings and suffocating smoky air have threatened the health of people already struggling during the pandemic. And the threat of more wildfires has led insurance companies to cancel homeowner policies and the state’s main utility to shut off power to tens of thousands of people pre-emptively.

I feel as though I’m somewhere I’ve never been before,” Ms. Szasz said. “There were wildfires occasionally throughout my life here, which would be quickly fought and contained. Never do I remember 23 straight days of orange, oppressive, smoky skies, leaving my house in fear that I’d never return to it, or knowing someone whose home burned down in the mountains near my house.”

Several years ago, as a student at the University of California, Berkeley, a professor explained that California and the West were likely to experience the effects of climate change sooner than the rest of the country, Ms. Szasz said. The words now resonate with her.

The early symptoms of climate change have been known for over a century, but it's only been in the last few decades that it's been taken seriously.

As the saying goes, Denial ain't just a river in Egypt".

I do wonder how those who deny climate change and the overwhelming evidence that human activity is the primary culprit can explain things like this, as well as the rapidity of the polar ice melting etc. etc. It's just so obvious now, it's hard for me to understand how anyone can deny it, assuming they've read the evidence. I'll believe a scientist with decades of experience over a poorly informed person on an internet discussion board any day.

And, while increasing the gas tax sounds good, I think it's a much more complex issue. Plus, people who drive the most can afford a much higher gas tax, so I think a substantial increase without any other plan will only hurt those at the bottom. This is especially true in areas that have no public mass transit.

Back
Top Bottom