• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

It's bullshit. It's a show of power by the corrupt majority, to mock the desire for equal rights of those they regularly use and abuse.

You know why the grocery stores are empty? Because all of the lazy, piece of shit, corrupt motherfuckers who usually abuse restaurant workers are staying home- they have to cook food now. You don't see that many vehicles heading to work anymore. You know why? Most of the "workers" aren't doing shit... they're just ripping off the people who do the real work that keeps society afloat.

You know the type: don't do anything useful, but collect a big salary while avoiding all real labor. They're corrupt pieces of shit. [removed] They don't do real work.

The only people who are still working are those that provide essential services. The good people. And the corrupt or stupid people (cops, military).
Are you saying it's not due to hoarding but due to stock market monkeys going to WalMart in large numbers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not through this thread, but will covid be like herpes where it lies mostly dormant (except maybe fucking your brain into dementia) then has outbreaks?

Also hearing that the anti malaria drugs can make you deaf and blind.

I have not through this thread, but will covid be like herpes where it lies mostly dormant (except maybe fucking your brain into dementia) then has outbreaks?
I don't think anyone has any idea how covid19 will act in the future. It may go away like SARS. It may go dormant during the summer and reappear in the late fall like the seasonal flu. It may just rage on till it kills us all or we develop immunity.
Are you sure about that or are you thinking of what priests say about the effects of masturbation (minus the hairy palms)? The only possible side effect of chloroquine that I remember being warned about when I was taking it for my malaria was that it may give me the runs.

That's a good question. It is generally believed that once flu/common cold is over you are clean of the viruses, but I read (long time ago) a study which found the evidence that in may be not true at all and that in large percentage of people it stays in like herpes and then reactivates when immune system is under stress.
OK, that's not good.

It's bullshit. It's a show of power by the corrupt majority, to mock the desire for equal rights of those they regularly use and abuse.

You know why the grocery stores are empty? Because all of the lazy, piece of shit, corrupt motherfuckers who usually abuse restaurant workers are staying home- they have to cook food now. You don't see that many vehicles heading to work anymore. You know why? Most of the "workers" aren't doing shit... they're just ripping off the people who do the real work that keeps society afloat.

You know the type: don't do anything useful, but collect a big salary while avoiding all real labor. They're corrupt pieces of shit. [removed] They don't do real work.

The only people who are still working are those that provide essential services. The good people. And the corrupt or stupid people (cops, military).

Try getting some idea of reality. Work can involve thinking, not just physical labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying it's not due to hoarding but due to stock market monkeys going to WalMart in large numbers?

While there is hoarding going on there's also the problem that the government recommended people have a few weeks supply--so a gazillion people went out to try to buy a few weeks supply and the stores didn't have it.

I wonder if there's a positive feedback effect. A person goes to the store to buy the one loaf of bread they'll need for the week. When they see the bread shelf nearly empty, they unconciously think, 'At this rate, there won't be any bread at all next week. I better get ten loaves and freeze them."

As the numbers rise in the news, I feel like a very slow tsunami is approaching. It's really unnerving. I'm hoping for a very anti-climax ending. *cross fingers*

I found a link that was in an article that I read in a medical rag that I sometimes read. It addressed the underlying conditions, that cause the most complications related to the virus that often require mechanical ventilation and frequently result in death. ( I know. It's morbid )

https://dgalerts.docguide.com/clinical-characteristics-patients-severe-covid-19-washington-state-fda-allows-expanded-use-devices?nl_ref=newsletter&pk_campaign=newsletter&nl_eventid=34250&ncov_site=covid-19&nl_campaignid=3641

NEW YORK -- March 20, 2020 -- Today’s DG Alert covers clinical characteristics of patients with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from Washington State, and a new policy from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that allows certain vital sign-measuring devices to be used remotely.

A study published in JAMA describes the clinical presentation, characteristics, and outcomes of patients with severe COVID-19 who were treated at Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, Washington.

Between February 20, 2020, and March 5, 2020, 21 patients (52% male) aged 43 to 92 years with COVID-19 at Evergreen Hospital -- a public hospital with 20 intensive care unit (ICU) beds serving approximately 850,000 residents in Washington State. Of the patients, 86% had comorbidities, the most common being chronic kidney disease (47.6%), congestive heart failure (42.9%), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (33.3%), and diabetes (33.3%).

If you have an interest in medical science or want to learn more about the most severe cases of COVID-19, you might learn something from reading the entire article. It helped me feel less anxious about getting the virus. I don't want it. I hate colds and flus and haven't had any in years, but I think that my husband and I are healthy enough, with decent immune systems, that we would likely survive without any serious complications.

Hope you all are doing your best to stay well!

Medical worker describes terrifying lung failure from COVID-19 — even in his young patients – Raw Story
ince last week, he’s been running ventilators for the sickest COVID-19 patients. Many are relatively young, in their 40s and 50s, and have minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts. He is overwhelmed, stunned by the manifestation of the infection, both its speed and intensity. The ICU where he works has essentially become a coronavirus unit. He estimates that his hospital has admitted dozens of confirmed or presumptive coronavirus patients. About a third have ended up on ventilators.

His hospital had not prepared for this volume before the virus first appeared. One physician had tried to raise alarms, asking about negative pressure rooms and ventilators. Most staff concluded that he was overreacting. “They thought the media was overhyping it,” the respiratory therapist told me. “In retrospect, he was right to be concerned.”
From the interview:
I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.

... That seems to be what happens to a lot of these patients: They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure.

It’s called acute respiratory distress syndrome, ARDS. That means the lungs are filled with fluid. And it’s notable for the way the X-ray looks: The entire lung is basically whited out from fluid. Patients with ARDS are extremely difficult to oxygenate. It has a really high mortality rate, about 40%. The way to manage it is to put a patient on a ventilator. The additional pressure helps the oxygen go into the bloodstream.

Normally, ARDS is something that happens over time as the lungs get more and more inflamed. But with this virus, it seems like it happens overnight.

With our coronavirus patients, once they’re on ventilators, most need about the highest settings that we can do. About 90% oxygen, and 16 of PEEP, positive end-expiratory pressure, which keeps the lung inflated. This is nearly as high as I’ve ever seen. The level we’re at means we are running out of options.

In my experience, this severity of ARDS is usually more typical of someone who has a near drowning experience — they have a bunch of dirty water in their lungs — or people who inhale caustic gas.

Medical worker describes terrifying lung failure from COVID-19 — even in his young patients – Raw Story
ince last week, he’s been running ventilators for the sickest COVID-19 patients. Many are relatively young, in their 40s and 50s, and have minimal, if any, preexisting conditions in their charts. He is overwhelmed, stunned by the manifestation of the infection, both its speed and intensity. The ICU where he works has essentially become a coronavirus unit. He estimates that his hospital has admitted dozens of confirmed or presumptive coronavirus patients. About a third have ended up on ventilators.

His hospital had not prepared for this volume before the virus first appeared. One physician had tried to raise alarms, asking about negative pressure rooms and ventilators. Most staff concluded that he was overreacting. “They thought the media was overhyping it,” the respiratory therapist told me. “In retrospect, he was right to be concerned.”
From the interview:
I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.

... That seems to be what happens to a lot of these patients: They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure.

It’s called acute respiratory distress syndrome, ARDS. That means the lungs are filled with fluid. And it’s notable for the way the X-ray looks: The entire lung is basically whited out from fluid. Patients with ARDS are extremely difficult to oxygenate. It has a really high mortality rate, about 40%. The way to manage it is to put a patient on a ventilator. The additional pressure helps the oxygen go into the bloodstream.

Normally, ARDS is something that happens over time as the lungs get more and more inflamed. But with this virus, it seems like it happens overnight.

With our coronavirus patients, once they’re on ventilators, most need about the highest settings that we can do. About 90% oxygen, and 16 of PEEP, positive end-expiratory pressure, which keeps the lung inflated. This is nearly as high as I’ve ever seen. The level we’re at means we are running out of options.

In my experience, this severity of ARDS is usually more typical of someone who has a near drowning experience — they have a bunch of dirty water in their lungs — or people who inhale caustic gas.
Wow... I hope that's exaggerated or not representative of what usually happens in an area hit by this disease.

Someone do something. This isn't funny any more.

On the bright side, technology is helping us adjust in many ways, including walking the dog.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxvgUBp4YPA[/YOUTUBE]

I found a link that was in an article that I read in a medical rag that I sometimes read. It addressed the underlying conditions, that cause the most complications related to the virus that often require mechanical ventilation and frequently result in death. ( I know. It's morbid )

https://dgalerts.docguide.com/clinical-characteristics-patients-severe-covid-19-washington-state-fda-allows-expanded-use-devices?nl_ref=newsletter&pk_campaign=newsletter&nl_eventid=34250&ncov_site=covid-19&nl_campaignid=3641

NEW YORK -- March 20, 2020 -- Today’s DG Alert covers clinical characteristics of patients with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from Washington State, and a new policy from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that allows certain vital sign-measuring devices to be used remotely.

A study published in JAMA describes the clinical presentation, characteristics, and outcomes of patients with severe COVID-19 who were treated at Evergreen Hospital, Kirkland, Washington.

Between February 20, 2020, and March 5, 2020, 21 patients (52% male) aged 43 to 92 years with COVID-19 at Evergreen Hospital -- a public hospital with 20 intensive care unit (ICU) beds serving approximately 850,000 residents in Washington State. Of the patients, 86% had comorbidities, the most common being chronic kidney disease (47.6%), congestive heart failure (42.9%), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (33.3%), and diabetes (33.3%).

If you have an interest in medical science or want to learn more about the most severe cases of COVID-19, you might learn something from reading the entire article. It helped me feel less anxious about getting the virus. I don't want it. I hate colds and flus and haven't had any in years, but I think that my husband and I are healthy enough, with decent immune systems, that we would likely survive without any serious complications.

Everything about you says "healthy." I cannot say the same for the majority of people I see. Even if they appear healthy I can accurately presume that their diets are garbage. People have lost their connection with a healthy, sustaining diet. For the most part they think their is some kind of magical way your body obtains the nutrients it needs.

The best defense is to stay healthy, eat healthy, keep the weight off, exercise to exhaustion on a regularly basis, pick up heavy things, stretch, jump, do whatever it takes to mimic the lifestyle our bodies crave to be healthy. Use it or lose it, no matter your age.

I was reading that in China, although the virus took many lives, because of how people had to adjust many more lives were saved. That doesn't mean we can eat garbage and live like slugs, only that we have a lot to learn.

I heard that some European countries are hoping for 100% exposure to the virus, doing to nothing to stop its spread. People will die, but there will be no recurrence.

I heard that some European countries are hoping for 100% exposure to the virus, doing to nothing to stop its spread. People will die, but there will be no recurrence.

My understanding is we don't know that. After all, its close relative, seasonal influenza, is exactly that - seasonal. Meanwhile letting Covid-19 run its course, or, as in the case of Italy, waiting too late to do anything, unleashes social chaos.

Everything about you says "healthy." I cannot say the same for the majority of people I see. Even if they appear healthy I can accurately presume that their diets are garbage. People have lost their connection with a healthy, sustaining diet. For the most part they think their is some kind of magical way your body obtains the nutrients it needs.

The best defense is to stay healthy, eat healthy, keep the weight off, exercise to exhaustion on a regularly basis, pick up heavy things, stretch, jump, do whatever it takes to mimic the lifestyle our bodies crave to be healthy. Use it or lose it, no matter your age.

I was reading that in China, although the virus took many lives, because of how people had to adjust many more lives were saved. That doesn't mean we can eat garbage and live like slugs, only that we have a lot to learn.

Yes, I agree with all of that. Well actually, as a small older woman I am not capable of picking up heavy things, but there is no evidence that is required to be healthy. We exercise, eat far better diets than that vast majority of Americans, and we have maintained healthy weights for years. Plus, we don't have must stress in our lives. I've read about 2 young, thin, healthy medical professional in China that died or nearly died. They were both working very long shifts and were constantly exposed to the virus. I think that the stress and exhaustion most likely played a part in their demise or critical illness.

I am very worried about my obese friends. Although it's not been mentioned in many articles, I read one recently ( don't ask me where because I don't remember ) that mentioned obesity as an underlying condition. I have wondered if many of the younger folks who have died or needed mechanical ventilation were obese. Obesity is now classified as a disease, so I think there should be more mention of it, so that obese folks would be very careful to stay isolated. Over 1/3 of Americans are obese, and that is worrisome.

Medical workers are at high risk, due to the lack of protective equipment, the stress and exhaustion. I read about a nurse in England that had just finished a 48 hour shift. That's fucking insane. I have one nurse friend who still works part time in long term care. She's 69, very obese, and has diabetes and hypertension. I don't think she's taking this as seriously as she shoul, but she can't afford to retire. What will happen to her if some of her patients become infected? Health care workers should be a top priority. If enough of them can't work, those of us who get sick will be screwed. As a retired RN, it really makes me angry that more help hasn't been given to healthcare professionals.

My understanding is we don't know that. After all, its close relative, seasonal influenza, is exactly that - seasonal. Meanwhile letting Covid-19 run its course, or, as in the case of Italy, waiting too late to do anything, unleashes social chaos.

Tharmas is correct. It's not yet been determined if one can become reinfected, plus I read that there is some evidence that there are now more than one strain of this virus. It's too early to know if it will mutate itself out of existence or mutate into several different harmful strains.

How many countries are actually doing that? Belarus, Russia? Who else?

There is so much bs flying around, many more people are falling for it than usual. Kind of like the “disturbing trend” of teens coughing on vegetables in the grocery store.

"Coronavirus and the US" or "We are all going to die!!!!"

Wow... I hope that's exaggerated or not representative of what usually happens in an area hit by this disease.

Someone do something. This isn't funny any more.

Running the numbers from CDC or maybe Johns Hopkins, 1 in 33 cases lead to hospitalization. 2 in 5 of those cases end in death. ARDS is a big deal. It sometimes requires oxygenating the blood directly. I can’t imagine hospitals are rife with equipment that can do that.

How many countries are actually doing that? Belarus, Russia? Who else?

Actually, it was suggested in Great Britain.

Back
Top Bottom