• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.
  • 2021 Internet Infidels Fundraising Drive
    Greetings! Time for the annual fundraiser.Sorry for the late update, we normally start this early in October. Funds are needed to keep II and IIDB online. I was not able to get an IIDB based donations addon implemented for this year, I will make sure to have that done for next year. You can help support II in several ways, please visit the Support Us page for more info. Or just click:

I will try to track all donations from IIDB. Many thanks to those that have already donated. The current total is $778. If everyone dontated just $5, we would easily hit our goal.

Covid-19 miscellany

blastula

Contributor
Starting this thread for more general covid posts, especially as an alternative to the "The Virus - Are You Affected?" thread to hopefully keep that one more about our personal impacts.

I'll start with this surreal video, where I learned that masks are for child molesters.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1305164232346959873?s=20[/TWEET]

Harry Bosch

Contributor
Starting this thread for more general covid posts, especially as an alternative to the "The Virus - Are You Affected?" thread to hopefully keep that one more about our personal impacts.

I'll start with this surreal video, where I learned that masks are for child molesters.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1305164232346959873?s=20[/TWEET]

I consider anti-maskers to be slightly more evolved than pond scum, but that's really about it. When you refuse to wear a mask around others, you are saying to them that their life dosn't matter.

Elixir

Content Thief
Wearing a mask could save your own life!

Wearing a Mask May Reduce How Sick You Get from COVID-19

Step right up and get your mini-dose of COVID-19 virus. Just like a vaccine, it will cause your body to produce the full immune system response, replete with antibodies that will keep you from getting terminally ill when you pick up a mega-dose of the virus at your next Trump rally.

barbos

Contributor
I keep noting that these antimaskers and crazy shit they are saying are mostly women.
I mean there are some men but they are in "I don't care" category, women on the other hand have theories why masks are actually bad.

lpetrich

Contributor
Missouri GOP Governor Candidate Claims Wearing Mask Is ‘Demonic Ritual’ | Michael Stone at Progressive Secular Humanist at Patheos Nonreligious
Satanic Panic: Former Missouri GOP Governor candidate and “warrior for Christ” Saundra McDowel claims that wearing a mask to protect against COVID-19 is really “part of a demonic ritual to get rid of our individual God-given rights.”
She wrote in her Facebook page:
I’m not afraid to take a stand!! Are you??

I walked in Walmart tonight without a mask ... and I refuse to wear a mask anywhere I go from NOW ON unless I choose to! That’s my right... as it is yours!!

But really.... this is not about masks... masks are just a symbol of deception and oppression. Its compliance training for what’s to come. It’s about control and instilling fear in America. Fear is not of the Lord, but of the enemy. Despair is the absence of faith! This is all part of a demonic ritual to get rid of our individual God-given rights. BLM just said it... it’s a spiritual battle... they are chanting to dead spirits practicing witchcraft. Our bodies... our faces... are created in the image of God. We shall not veil our faces spiritually or practically. 2 Corinthians 3:13-16

Our country was founded on freedom and liberty for all... and God was the author of our nation and that freedom and liberty. Not people! God! Their faith in God!! Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty!! 2 Corinthians 3:17
Some more of this absurdity:
Recently a Michigan Christian school claimed that a mask mandate means “Satan wins,” and has fired a teacher for raising concerns about a lack of masks in classrooms.

Fox News Host Jeanine Pirro claims that face masks are actually part of a plot to “dehumanize” and “frighten people.”

And GOP Activist DeAnna Lorraine claims “God does not want us wearing masks” to stop the spread of COVID-19.

southernhybrid

Contributor
I keep noting that these antimaskers and crazy shit they are saying are mostly women.
I mean there are some men but they are in "I don't care" category, women on the other hand have theories why masks are actually bad.

It's only anecdotal but in my small city, it's almost always white males who don't wear masks, especially older white males. I guess it's not macho to wear a mask.

Since those who don't wear a mask are now in the minority here, they don't stir up any trouble. When I see one in the grocery store, which is rare, I just make sure to keep my distance.

barbos

Contributor

It's only anecdotal but in my small city, it's almost always white males who don't wear masks, especially older white males. I guess it's not macho to wear a mask.

Since those who don't wear a mask are now in the minority here, they don't stir up any trouble. When I see one in the grocery store, which is rare, I just make sure to keep my distance.

I am talking about batshit crazy, not about noncompliance. When CNN talks about batshit crazy they always show bunch of batshit crazy women.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">& now an important announcement from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HotOnes?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HotOnes</a>’ friend Paul Rudd! WEAR A MASK & watch until the end for a special cameo. WHO WOULD’VE THOUGHT? <a href="https://t.co/i4xxfwoIhz">pic.twitter.com/i4xxfwoIhz</a></p>— First We Feast (@firstwefeast) <a href="https://twitter.com/firstwefeast/status/1305582090642128896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 14, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Around here the worst non-compliance I've seen has been from blacks. In a recent shopping trip all of the pulled down masks were black and most of the dick-nosers were non-white. However, surprisingly the Hispanic market we often visit had 100% compliance.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor

Around here the worst non-compliance I've seen has been from blacks. In a recent shopping trip all of the pulled down masks were black and most of the dick-nosers were non-white. However, surprisingly the Hispanic market we often visit had 100% compliance.
In my neck of the woods, it was visa versa. African Americans were much more likely to wear a mask. Until the state made it a requirement in our county, then white people caught up.

lpetrich

Contributor
De Blasio splits with Cuomo, wants stricter standards for indoor NYC dining
Mayor Bill de Blasio split with Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s plan to allow indoor dining in New York City, saying he wanted a later opening date and a firm requirement to shut restaurants back down if infection rates rise.

De Blasio said Wednesday that a deal was still in the works between the city and the state to green light indoor dining. About an hour later, he said Cuomo’s office informed City Hall that they planned to go ahead with an announcement without him.

Cuomo cleared indoor restaurants to reopen on Sept. 30 with 25 percent of their usual tables. They’ll also be required to check customers’ temperatures at the door and collect personal information for contact tracing, and seating at bars will be banned.

De Blasio said he wanted a later start date — with indoor dining now scheduled to begin just over a week after schools open for in-person classes.

He’s pushing for a rule that would require indoor dining to stop if the city’s positive test rate hits 2 percent on a seven-day rolling average. Cuomo, who ultimately controls the decision, agreed only to reevaluate the decision if infection rates jump.
NYC was rather hard-hit by the virus this spring, so that's understandable.

I can't help but have some fun at the expense of lockdown critics who object to churches being shut down but not bars being shut down.

lpetrich

Contributor
AOC and Schumer join forces to push for coronavirus funeral aid - New York Daily News
AOC (D-NY-14: E Bronx, N Queens), Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
The two lawmakers wrote to the Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Tuesday asking him to authorize help with funerals as part of a little-known category of disaster assistance known as other needs assistance.

“Compounding the horrific loss of life, the families and loved ones of those lost are faced with a funeral bill, all while the economy lies in shambles around them," Schumer and AOC wrote to FEMA chief Gaynor. “FEMA must rise to the occasion and help our fellow Americans.”

The letter says FEMA received the bureaucratic green light to dramatically expand funding for funerals when President Trump authorized the pandemic as an ongoing disaster last month.

DBT

Contributor
Mask wearing gets out of hand when someone is walking in the park with no one close by, or driving on their own, is wearing a mask.

Mask wearing gets out of hand when someone is walking in the park with no one close by, or driving on their own, is wearing a mask.

I don't agree about being alone in a public space. If someone coughs a cluster can stay there for 3 hours up to 27 feet away from the spot. So, when you get out of your car in a parking lot, you should already have it on. And take it off after you get back in your car. In a park....if other people were there or will be there, you should wear it.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Or the person in the park has Leukemia or is a nurse or doctor and takes extra precautions. Simply put, you don't know their story, so presumption needs to drive off a cliff.

DBT

Contributor
Or the person in the park has Leukemia or is a nurse or doctor and takes extra precautions. Simply put, you don't know their story, so presumption needs to drive off a cliff.

The story is that you see people driving alone in their cars while wearing masks.....who are they going to catch Covid from, themselves? Who are they going to pass it on to?

Keith&Co.

Contributor

The story is that you see people driving alone in their cars while wearing masks.....who are they going to catch Covid from, themselves? Who are they going to pass it on to?

My boss has lost five masks taking them off and...no idea what happens. Probably fell out of the car when he got out, so someone thinks he's just littering.
He now wears them the entire time he's out-of-house. 'To get used to it,' he says, but it's really 'not to lose it because i can't shit one when necessary.'

DBT

Contributor

My boss has lost five masks taking them off and...no idea what happens. Probably fell out of the car when he got out, so someone thinks he's just littering.
He now wears them the entire time he's out-of-house. 'To get used to it,' he says, but it's really 'not to lose it because i can't shit one when necessary.'

Just hope he doesn't run his business so absent mindedly.....

I thought people wearing them in their cars were crazy until yesterday. I found two who were transporting persons to/from the hospital...not sure if an uber driver or driver for some group of people. Anyway if you have a risky person in the car I don't think you want to stop wearing the mask in the car for some hours, even when alone.

One situation I saw was weirder to think about. Someone arrived at the hospital to pick someone up. They had their name in some kind of tablet. When they arrived to pick up the person they had a mask on in their vehicle. This makes the vehicle low risk and usable for transporting persons.

Obviously, not everyone you see wearing a mask alone in a car is an uber driver, but some are...

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor

Are they going to a place after another and close by?

I mean yes, it is fun to judge people outside of knowing what they are doing or going through.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't agree about being alone in a public space. If someone coughs a cluster can stay there for 3 hours up to 27 feet away from the spot. So, when you get out of your car in a parking lot, you should already have it on. And take it off after you get back in your car. In a park....if other people were there or will be there, you should wear it.

Huh? I do wear them if anyone is around but how does a cluster sit there for 3 hours 27 feet away???

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

This isn't evidence that it's out of hand.

Walk in the park--while I haven't been in a park since this started I do hike. If I'm heading up and truly alone my mask is pulled down. However, heading down it's not that big a deal, I don't always bother to remove it between encounters. I hike with poles which have to be put down to deal with my mask, it's just not worth bothering with.

Driving on their own--I've been guilty of this many times. If I'm making more than one stop reasonably closely spaced I'm not going to bother to remove my mask between stops. For short trips (and other than hiking most every trip is short) I probably put it on heading out the door and take it off when I get home.

DBT

Contributor

This isn't evidence that it's out of hand.

I was being flippant. Not intended to be taken absolutely literally. Wearing a face mask while driving on your own serves no purpose.

I mean yes, it is fun to judge people outside of knowing what they are doing or going through.

It doesn't matter where they are going or how far, it serves no purpose. It only takes a quick, simply action to pull the mask down for the sake of comfort.

Huh? I do wear them if anyone is around but how does a cluster sit there for 3 hours 27 feet away???

27 feet is the worst case distance for a sneeze. Here is an article on related study:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...s-mit-scientist-says/articleshow/74928356.cms

However, inside there is ventilation. Outside, there is wind. So, a mere cough outside with additional environmental factors can also go far.

A cough or sneeze is like a mini-cloud of vapor and little things small enough to bounce around on other little things. The virus may bounce around a short time or a long time. Before the coronavirus was even pandemic this was common knowledge in regard to flu and common cold. Here's an example about flu:
https://www.flu65plus.com/stories/can-flu-spread-through-air

It isn't expected to be that different. The virus isn't going to hit the ground in a second or two. 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours...if I want to be risk averse, I would assume 3 hours.

Imagine, for example, Person A is jogging in the park with no mask, they cough to their right side. A brief gust of wind was present rightward to the person. Note the wind isn't even necessary...

Now, imagine 5 minutes later, person B is strolling in the park. They don't see anyone so they don't wear a mask. They walk a path parallel to the previous jogger, Person A...but they are 7 feet away to the right....perhaps on the opposite side of a wide public path.

Do you think Person B has 0.0% of walking through a cloud of cough? I'm going to claim it's more like 10%. I can't "prove" it but consider a cloud isn't an inch but more like a foot, two, or three....and if the center were randomly between 1 foot and 27 feet to the right of Person A, there's some approx 10% of this range where Person B's body comes into contact with the cloud.

Of course, there may be other environmental factors that destroy the clouds like heat, UV, strong winds, but in experiments sneezes can go 27 feet and virus can be in the air a long time. So, at a minimum, the 6 foot social distancing thing isn't 100% sure thing. It's a personal choice on how risk averse beyond that that people want to be.

Jokodo

Veteran Member
I was being flippant. Not intended to be taken absolutely literally. Wearing a face mask while driving on your own serves no purpose.

It doesn't matter where they are going or how far, it serves no purpose. It only takes a quick, simply action to pull the mask down for the sake of comfort.

Are you judging them for finding the "quick, simply (sic!) action" more worrisome than taking the mask repeatedly on and off?

DBT

Contributor

Are you judging them for finding the "quick, simply (sic!) action" more worrisome than taking the mask repeatedly on and off?

I'm saying that it serves no purpose to wear a mask while driving a vehicle on your own. There is no risk to oneself or to others. It's comical. The effort it takes to slip it off (or down to the chin) is minimal, a trivial effort for a net gain in comfort at no risk.

Jokodo

Veteran Member

I'm saying that it serves no purpose to wear a mask while driving a vehicle on your own. There is no risk to oneself or to others. It's comical. The effort it takes to slip it off (or down to the chin) is minimal, a trivial effort for a net gain in comfort at no risk.

That taking off the mask (and possibly disinfecting your hands to do so) when you have to put it it back on in a few minutes at your next stop is a "net gain in comfort" is your opinion, not an objective fact. Someone else may well consider it a net loss in comfort and time.

DBT

Contributor

That taking off the mask (and possibly disinfecting your hands to do so) when you have to put it it back on in a few minutes at your next stop is a "net gain in comfort" is your opinion, not an objective fact. Someone else may well consider it a net loss in comfort and time.

If it is a few minutes, if people don't typically adjust their masks for various reasons, which I've seen happen....not to mention those who leave their noses exposed because the day is warm and the mask is stuffy.

Jokodo

Veteran Member

If it is a few minutes, if people don't typically adjust their masks for various reasons, which I've seen happen....not to mention those who leave their noses exposed because the day is warm and the mask is stuffy.

And of course, when you see a stranger in their, you know exactly that they dont have another scheduled stop in a few minutes, being omniscient and all?

DBT

Contributor

And of course, when you see a stranger in their, you know exactly that they dont have another scheduled stop in a few minutes, being omniscient and all?

Isn't it in the realm of possibility that I live a fair way out of town, that I may have cars in front or behind me for many kilometres with drivers wearing masks, hence I have no need for omniscience?

Is it not possible that it is you, not knowing my circumstances or references, who is making pedantic assumptions in order to score brownie points?

Jokodo

Veteran Member

Isn't it in the realm of possibility that I live a fair way out of town, that I may have cars in front or behind me for many kilometres with drivers wearing masks, hence I have no need for omniscience?

I don't know your anatomy, but exactly how are you checking a person's mask status from the car behind? That doesn't sound like keeping a safe distance...

Keith&Co.

Contributor

Just hope he doesn't run his business so absent mindedly.....
Well, he's had more than six months to develop those habits...

We still can't trust him to remember which end of the sub the torpedoes come out of, but he was a surface officer, so it's to be expected.

Reactions: DBT

DBT

Contributor

I don't know your anatomy, but exactly how are you checking a person's mask status from the car behind? That doesn't sound like keeping a safe distance...

Maybe the car in front was behind me, but happened to overtake in the other lane? Wow, could that possible? People never pass other drivers? No one ever looks in the rear view mirror? It's not possible to see the face of the driver in front reflected in their rear view mirror? Gosh, how one dimensional your world appears to be.....

Maybe the car in front was behind me, but happened to overtake in the other lane? Wow, could that possible? People never pass other drivers? No one ever looks in the rear view mirror? It's not possible to see the face of the driver in front reflected in their rear view mirror? Gosh, how one dimensional your world appears to be.....

How many are uber drivers?

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member

27 feet is the worst case distance for a sneeze. Here is an article on related study:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...s-mit-scientist-says/articleshow/74928356.cms

However, inside there is ventilation. Outside, there is wind. So, a mere cough outside with additional environmental factors can also go far.

A cough or sneeze is like a mini-cloud of vapor and little things small enough to bounce around on other little things. The virus may bounce around a short time or a long time. Before the coronavirus was even pandemic this was common knowledge in regard to flu and common cold. Here's an example about flu:

It isn't expected to be that different. The virus isn't going to hit the ground in a second or two. 30 minutes, 1 hour, 3 hours...if I want to be risk averse, I would assume 3 hours.

Imagine, for example, Person A is jogging in the park with no mask, they cough to their right side. A brief gust of wind was present rightward to the person. Note the wind isn't even necessary...

Now, imagine 5 minutes later, person B is strolling in the park. They don't see anyone so they don't wear a mask. They walk a path parallel to the previous jogger, Person A...but they are 7 feet away to the right....perhaps on the opposite side of a wide public path.

Do you think Person B has 0.0% of walking through a cloud of cough? I'm going to claim it's more like 10%. I can't "prove" it but consider a cloud isn't an inch but more like a foot, two, or three....and if the center were randomly between 1 foot and 27 feet to the right of Person A, there's some approx 10% of this range where Person B's body comes into contact with the cloud.

Of course, there may be other environmental factors that destroy the clouds like heat, UV, strong winds, but in experiments sneezes can go 27 feet and virus can be in the air a long time. So, at a minimum, the 6 foot social distancing thing isn't 100% sure thing. It's a personal choice on how risk averse beyond that that people want to be.

Does this take into account viral load?

Does this take into account viral load?

I think it's statistics. Some sites refer to "half life" of the virus under these conditions. So, how much was expelled, how long ago, how spread out are factors. Over time, you should expect viral load to be less probabilistically.

Along those lines, if you wear a mask and you are the receiver (Person B), on average, you get less viral load. Less severity. If you are the cougher (Person A) and you are wraring a mask, you are decreasing probability Person B will get it.

Everyone should really follow the guidelines. If someone wants to do more, it's up to them. In my case, I want to take less risks than the CDC allows for. I have chronic respiratory issues and my wife is diabetic. So, I hardly go out. I don't think people should judge me on that using CDC guidelines as a baseline. The guidelines are imperfect and a cultural norm.

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
https://www.thedailybeast.com/white...coronavirus-face-masks-to-every-home?ref=home

In April, as the coronavirus pandemic was killing thousands of Americans and the U.S. surgeon general was teaching people how to make face masks with rubber bands, the United States Postal Service had come up with a plan to distribute 650 million masks, enough for five per house. USPS leaders had even drafted a press release ready to go out, according to nearly 10,000 pages of emails, memos and other USPS materials obtained by The Washington Post. But the White House scrapped the plan out of concern that “households receiving masks might create concern or panic,” an administration official told the Post. Instead, the Department of Health and Human Services distributed 650 million reusable cotton masks to critical industries, healthcare facilities, schools, and community organizations.

Meanwhile, back at Clown Alley.....

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
https://www.thedailybeast.com/white...coronavirus-face-masks-to-every-home?ref=home

In April, as the coronavirus pandemic was killing thousands of Americans and the U.S. surgeon general was teaching people how to make face masks with rubber bands, the United States Postal Service had come up with a plan to distribute 650 million masks, enough for five per house. USPS leaders had even drafted a press release ready to go out, according to nearly 10,000 pages of emails, memos and other USPS materials obtained by The Washington Post. But the White House scrapped the plan out of concern that “households receiving masks might create concern or panic,” an administration official told the Post. Instead, the Department of Health and Human Services distributed 650 million reusable cotton masks to critical industries, healthcare facilities, schools, and community organizations.

Meanwhile, back at Clown Alley.....
Yeah, people are voting for this arrogance. I might have died, but he pwned the libs.

DBT

Contributor

How many are uber drivers?

Most likely none. I've never seen a car with an Uber sticker around town. It's not a big city.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

It depends on the mask. I wear N95s these days--you don't pull those down with one simple motion, nor do you replace them with a simple motion. Doing either is a two-handed operation that must be done with a certain amount of caution if I'm wearing glasses (and I always am in mask territory) and when I'm hiking it's compounded by the fact that I'm wearing a hat that has a string going under my chin.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ok, that makes more sense--you're saying a cloud of up to 27' radius.

Which is why I don't take my mask back off until at least a minute after there's nobody around me anymore.

I do agree that 6' is simply a rough guideline, not an assurance of safety.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Masks make one warmer, I turn the AC down a couple of degrees.

lpetrich

Contributor
Attorney General William Barr brings up slavery when referring to quarantining during the pandemic - YouTube - what a big baby.

Barr creates firestorm with comments that appear to boost Trump's reelection campaign - POLITICO
During an appearance in northern Virginia Wednesday, Barr railed against state-issued coronavirus-related lockdown orders, declaring that they were surpassed only by slavery as a historic intrusion on civil liberties.

“You know, putting a national lockdown, stay-at-home orders, is like house arrest. It’s — you know, other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history,” Barr said during a question-and-answer session following his remarks.

At one point, Barr seemingly suggested that the federal response to the pandemic should be guided by politicians and elected officials rather than medical experts and the broader scientific community.

“The person in the white coat is not the ‘grand seer’ who can come up with a right decision for society. A free people makes its decision through its elected representative,” he said.

lpetrich

Contributor
POLITICO on Twitter: "Attorney General William Barr argued yesterday that coronavirus-related lockdown orders were surpassed only by slavery as the “greatest intrusion on civil liberties” in the nation’s history [url]https://t.co/oFyWpMnINl https://t.co/kBOF9diNoZ" / Twitter[/url]

Which got this response:
Emma Vigeland on Twitter: "Jim Crow? Japanese internment camps? Forced sterilizations of Black, Latino and Native Americans? Warrantless wiretapping? Guantanamo Bay? The Trail Of Tears? The lynching of Black people? The death penalty? Police murders of minorities and the poor? Exploitative prison labor?" / Twitter

Top black Democrat attacks 'God-awful' AG Bill Barr for comparing coroanvirus lockdowns to SLAVERY | Daily Mail Online
Democrats' most senior black lawmaker, Jim Clyburn, called attorney general Bill Barr 'God awful' and 'tone deaf' Thursday after the top law enforcement officer compared lockdown orders to slavery.

The House Democratic leader told CNN's New Day that Barr's comparison was 'tone deaf'.

Barr likened the pandemic to life for Black people before slavery was abolished after he was asked to explain 'constitutional hurdles for forbidding a church from meeting during Covid-19.'

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Texas and Covid-19.

Can someone please explain how Texas manages their COVID-19 existing cases numbers? You look at Florida and you see one thing, generally, a rising existing cases and only recently existing cases dropping. But Texas, almost in the middle of their surge, their existing cases numbers were dropping faster than new cases could keep up, despite having a lot of new cases!

When you look at the US as a whole, generally you can tell the states that either fucked up or had populations that wouldn't listen. You can generally tell based on the existing cases verses recovered cases. States like Georgia, Florida, Arizona have existing cases that are many times greater than their recovered cases. Not Texas, a state that is repeatedly in the top few for new daily cases. Their existing cases is a fraction of their total cases, despite being in the same boat as Arizona and Florida. How is that remotely possible?

Top Bottom