• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
Lots of people have to wear masks on the job. Strangely they don't have the experience that's so widespread amongst the deniers. Finding a mask suffocating is the outlier reaction. They don't screen medical school students for how they react to masks despite the 100% certainty they will have to wear them at times during their training.
Yes, lots of people have to wear masks. That doesn't mean they like the feeling. Surgeons don't wear masks on the way home from surgery.

The fact that you wear masks in your car, alone, for ten minutes, is a sign you are an outlier. That's not normal. You are not normal. It's okay to not be normal. It's not okay to pretend your experience is universal and everyone else is a liar.

I'm certainly not the only one who does it.
I didn't claim it.

You just assume the people you see alone with a mask are nut cases
No, I don't.

rather than realizing it's just people who don't consider it worth taking off for a short period.
Of course it's those people. And the fact that you don't think ten minutes alone is enough of a period paints you as an outlier. You don't take it off because you are not as bothered as most people are.

Or consider another observation: I would say the portion of the population wearing the high grade stuff is in the 5-10% range around here--and I can't recall ever seeing someone remove one as soon as they were outdoors.
So what? I'm not arguing that the high grade ones are not more comfortable. They probably are. But you also don't appear to understand that the people wearing the high-grade ones are very serious about masking up and are more willing than the average person to trade off their comfort for perceived protection.

And the fact that you are tripling down on your 'denier' bullshit should make you ashamed but I'm sure it doesn't.

Toddlers rip off masks when you try to put them on them. I saw my mother struggle to breathe when she was in hospital because she was required to wear a mask (adding to the pain she was experiencing). You just have no empathy and no fucking idea.

I've seen plenty of toddlers not ripping off masks.
Toddlers rip off masks when they are first given them. Yes, you can train toddlers to not do so, but you are entirely missing the point. It is instinctive to not want to have things over our nose and mouth.

Notably, in every case they were Asian. Their parents actually took the time to teach them to wear a mask rather than consider it impossible.
I did not say it was impossible. You missed the point.

When the mandate was first made the low-grade stuff was still a big help and the good stuff wasn't available. Mandating N95 wasn't an option. (And a political football whether it was N95 or N95/KN95/KF94.)
Well, the mask theatre continues, and so now we have a situation where it does almost nothing, and people suffer needlessly (suffering that I acknowledge you simply deny because it suits you).
I deny it because in almost all cases is psychosomatic.
Yeah, this is the last exchange I'm having with you about this, because I would like to write exactly what I think of your attitude but I don't feel like getting banned again.

Angra Mainyu

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
non-theist
But if you want more evidence, there are plenty of studies. Purely for example:

That is not evidence that mask mandates stop the spread of a virus. It’s fiction based off a computer model. It’s something that never actually happened, it’s not even a study.
Your claim was against masks, not against mask mandates. My reply was to your claim.

As for mask mandates, of course it depends on whether the mandates are effective at getting people to actually wear masks (proper masks, properly used). That depends on the cultural context. Maybe they do not work over here, but they work in Japan, Korea or China. Then again, it probably did work over here for a while, in some social circles, but not in most. Nowadays it's just a handful of people wearing them seriously.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
The thing with masks is that they work but there is no reason to use them when driving alone or when walking around outside, unless there is a crowd. I routinely see people walking around, no other pedestrians in the vicinity, and they still have their masks on for no reason. Isn
t it uncomfortable to breathe like that while walking for them? I don't get it. I wear my mask in the grocery store, but as soon as I get out into fresh air I take it off.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
The thing with masks is that they work but there is no reason to use them when driving alone or when walking around outside, unless there is a crowd. I routinely see people walking around, no other pedestrians in the vicinity, and they still have their masks on for no reason. Isn
t it uncomfortable to breathe like that while walking for them? I don't get it. I wear my mask in the grocery store, but as soon as I get out into fresh air I take it off.
You claiming to feel any level of discomfort at all is a psychosomatic QOP-induced filthy lie, and you probably think 5G was injected along with AIDS during your "COVID" (not real) vaccination.

Loren has no problem with his mask and Loren's corporal sensations apply to all people. Stop being such a filthy dirty GOP-sucking lapdog liar scumbag and admit you actually love the sensation of a mask over your nose and mouth and you only say you don't because you want to stick it to the libtards.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I agree and I do the same thing, but I do have some friends who always wear their masks, even when unnecessary. I don't judge them. If someone wants to wear a mask all day, who cares?

My Jersey sister told me yesterday that she loves wearing her mask. It makes her feel more self confident as she feels like it makes her look younger. Whatever floats your boat. I've also read that some teenagers who are very self conscious prefer to wear a mask. It covers up their acne or whatever part of their faces they feel insecure about. So, I guess we will see people wearing masks for reasons other than COVID. A few times I've left mine on outdoors on cold days because it kept my face warm. I'm not saying you are being critical of those who keep their masks on all the time. I'm just explaining why some do it.

Bill Maher said on his recent stand up comedy show that he'd like to punch anyone who wears a mask outdoors. Why the fuck should anyone care if another person feels secure wearing a mask? If a mask has become a new fashion accessory, so be it. Since this year's flu vaccine was almost worthless, mask wearing has probably saved a lot of people from getting the flu :) .

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
You claiming to feel any level of discomfort at all is a psychosomatic QOP-induced filthy lie, and you probably think 5G was injected along with AIDS during your "COVID" (not real) vaccination.

Loren has no problem with his mask and Loren's corporal sensations apply to all people. Stop being such a filthy dirty GOP-sucking lapdog liar scumbag and admit you actually love the sensation of a mask over your nose and mouth and you only say you don't because you want to stick it to the libtards.
Loren is, in general, a Libertarian. It amazes me how people like Loren get plastered as some sort of left-wing hippie, just because other people on the right have lost their minds.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Loren is, in general, a Libertarian. It amazes me how people like Loren get plastered as some sort of left-wing hippie, just because other people on the right have lost their minds.
Yeah, I feel for Loren. He gets it from … dare I say it … both sides.

Playball40

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Non-religious
I know people who have not problem breathing in a mask and prefer just leaving it on as opposed to taking it off and on. Sometimes I forget and leave my sunglasses on when I'm indoors. Same principle. My teenage prefers to wear his mask all the time. He's very introverted and shy and it gives him a sense of comfort.

Playball40

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Non-religious
I agree and I do the same thing, but I do have some friends who always wear their masks, even when unnecessary. I don't judge them. If someone wants to wear a mask all day, who cares?

My Jersey sister told me yesterday that she loves wearing her mask. It makes her feel more self confident as she feels like it makes her look younger. Whatever floats your boat. I've also read that some teenagers who are very self conscious prefer to wear a mask. It covers up their acne or whatever part of their faces they feel insecure about. So, I guess we will see people wearing masks for reasons other than COVID. A few times I've left mine on outdoors on cold days because it kept my face warm. I'm not saying you are being critical of those who keep their masks on all the time. I'm just explaining why some do it.

Bill Maher said on his recent stand up comedy show that he'd like to punch anyone who wears a mask outdoors. Why the fuck should anyone care if another person feels secure wearing a mask? If a mask has become a new fashion accessory, so be it. Since this year's flu vaccine was almost worthless, mask wearing has probably saved a lot of people from getting the flu :) .
Bill Maher is an opinionated butt hole. I used to enjoy some of his shows but not anymore. He's just awful.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Maher is a libertarian, always been a libertarian, that again looked like a flaming liberal after the W and Trump administrations waltzed through DC. The right-wing has shifted so hard to the right, that it has perverted the political spectrum in the US.

marc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, skeptic, nerd
I have family members who hit several high-risk categories, including immunocompromised. Not only do I wear a mask whenever I go out, but I have to wear one at home. I am fucking tired of masks, but I'm not going to endanger my family because of all the fucking idiots out there who think it is all no big deal, and thereby keep this shit going. If some anti-masker gets in my face about wearing one they are gonna get about 2 years worth of frustrations released on them.

Trausti

Deleted
FQ4LE1QWQAAqTa7

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1

I didn't call Loren a left-wing hippie. I am admonishing him for his lack of empathy and his tripling down on it when called out on it.

Angra Mainyu

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
non-theist
Yes, that is the main cost of wearing a mask. It's much less now, though, after the pandemic. But it's increasing. There are countries where masks have been a part of life for a long time, and are accepted. But in most, they aren't. It is unfortunate, because use of masks could prevent many preventable diseases.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Since I could get my hands on them I've worn almost exclusively N95s. Back before the vaccine I would put my mask on when encountering someone while outdoors. If I was on the level or descending I often forgot about it and didn't take it back off when there wasn't anyone around. 7,000'+, typically around 10,000' up and with 20+ pounds of gear on my back. It was never uncomfortable to breathe, but it was noticeably harder when climbing--like I was maybe 1,000' higher than I actually was.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
This is so perverse. In other words people are wearing masks for any reason other than “stopping the spread””

Bunch of weirdos but have at it.

Thomas II

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I've been wearing masks for years while I drive but it's because my lungs are affected by the road salt they use in the winter. When there's no dust in the air I don't use the mask. Since the pandemic, I also wear it in closed spaces but I take it off as soon as I come out.

Last edited:

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
There are a lot of people who drive for work who are required to wear a mask while on duty - in the car.
There are also people who have people in teir car that you can’t see.
And there are people who do not ge the discomfort that you (complainers) get.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
Not according to Loren. People who don't like masks are lying or brainwashed or both.

I accept that others have mask reactions different to mine. I've discussed it at someone with work, who sometimes wears a mask on his own in the car because he forgets about it. Nobody could forget about a mask if it bothered them, so I accept it didn't bother him. And he did not have the temerity to tell me my corporal reaction to masking was a lie.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Not according to Loren. People who don't like masks are lying or brainwashed or both.

I accept that others have mask reactions different to mine. I've discussed it at someone with work, who sometimes wears a mask on his own in the car because he forgets about it. Nobody could forget about a mask if it bothered them, so I accept it didn't bother him. And he did not have the temerity to tell me my corporal reaction to masking was a lie.
I'm not saying it's a lie, I'm saying you were told they're horrible so you don't relax and get used to them.

It also helps if you wear the good stuff that's stiff enough to hold it's shape and only touch around the edges.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
Update, all 7-day averages, and peaks refer to current wave (all time refers to highest of any wave).

Worldwide cases and deaths continue to fall.

New cases:

Latest worldwide 703k (daily - 24 Apr 2022)

Peak worldwide 3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

All time worldwide 3.44m (daily - 24 Jan 2022)

Latest US 48k (daily - 16 Mar 2022)

Peak US 807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

All time US 807k (daily - 14 Jan 2022)

Deaths:

Latest worldwide 2,785 (daily - 24 Apr 2022)

Peak worldwide 10,926 (daily - 10 Feb 2022)

All time worldwide 14,706 (daily - 26 Jan 2021)

Latest US 354 (daily - 24 Apr 2022)

Peak US 2,670 (daily - 1 Feb 2022)

All time US 3,347 (daily - 13 Jan 2021)

scombrid

Basic Beliefs
Atheist

People where I live wear masks outside because of pollen allergies.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
People where I live wear masks outside because of pollen allergies.
And before this all happened there were people who wore masks because they were immunocompromised.

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Weird new hepatitis in Europe was speculatively linked to C19 mRNA vaccines.
Apparently the way mRNA is delivered can easily cause autoimmune response to a large range of drugs making them ineffective.
Plus mRNA vaccines itself is susceptible to immune system the same way vector vaccines are. That's not good, not good at all.

Last edited:

Ruth Harris

Token Christian
Basic Beliefs
Christian
Where did you get that? Everything I have read, including this article, point out that the children were not vaccinated. This is the applicable part of the linked article:

(Reuters) Any link to COVID-19 vaccines has been ruled out, as the children in Britain, where the majority of cases have been found, were not vaccinated.

As for the rest of your post:
Apparently the way mRNA is delivered can easily cause autoimmune response to a large range of drugs making them ineffective.
Plus mRNA vaccines itself is susceptible to immune system the same way vector-vaccines are.
I have never read anything that said this. Sources please.

Ruth

barbos

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Also, my suspicion is that omicron is seriously under-reported in Russia.
Old people have "mild" symptoms, which are not really that mild, but they don't go to doctors.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Fuck that shit.

I hate masks. Most people hate masks. This idea that people that wore masks because of some sort of joy and wanting to be under the thumb of government is childish nonsense. Wore masks because they helped reduce spread of the virus. Some masks worked better than others, but we had to make do with what we had available.

The reality is, some people don't care, but apathy doesn't look good on the outside, so the apathetic needed to come up with strawmen, red herrings, and other bullshit to try and make people that were trying to help, look like fools.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
This is so perverse. In other words people are wearing masks for any reason other than “stopping the spread””

Yup, move towards those exceptions to the rule to prove your ridiculous alt-right fantasy world dreamscape.

TomC

Celestial Highness
Basic Beliefs
Agnostic deist
hate masks. Most people hate masks. This idea that people that wore masks because of some sort of joy and wanting to be under the thumb of government is childish nonsense.
Exactly this!

I hated masking. 40+ years of smoking and a full beard and glasses made them incredibly irritating.
But I also hated the damage being done to the economy and I have a bunch of high risk relatives I care about. So I did what I could to mitigate the epidemic.
Tom

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Yup, move towards those exceptions to the rule to prove your ridiculous alt-right fantasy world dreamscape.
Gibberish.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Plus mRNA vaccines itself is susceptible to immune system the same way vector vaccines are. That's not good, not good at all.
The only hepatitis outbreak I've heard about was in children who were almost all not vaccinated or even eligible to be vaccinated. Something's going on but it's not the vaccine.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I liked my mask in cold weather.
Yeah--I plan to have a mask permanently in my pack. While many people have problems with their nose running in cold weather I only have a problem with cold wind. The pandemic has taught me that a mask prevents that.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Attention right: Shut the fuck up about natural immunity. It's busted:
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2a87c69a-3d91-4dff-975d-a6bed160a3bb_2382x1645.png

Compare charts B and D, specifically the last column. Note how we get a pretty similar distribution between those with prior exposure and those without.

Don2 (Don1 Revised)

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Nonpracticing agnostic
SARS-CoV-2 Omicron Variant is as Deadly as Previous Waves After Adjusting for Vaccinations, Demographics, and Comorbidities

The B.1.1.529 (Omicron) variant of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) has previously been reported as more transmissible, but less severe than other SARS-CoV-2 variants. To test this assumption, we linked state-level vaccination data with quality-controlled electronic health records from a large healthcare system, including 13 hospitals, in Massachusetts, USA. We then performed a weighted case-control study to compare risks of hospital admission and mortality across the SARS-CoV-2 waves in over 130,000 COVID patients. Although the unadjusted rates of hospital admission and mortality appeared to be higher in previous waves compared to the Omicron period, after adjusting for confounders including various demographics, Charlson comorbidity index scores, and vaccination status (and holding the healthcare utilization constant), we found that the risks of hospitalization and mortality were nearly identical between periods. Our analysis suggests that the intrinsic severity of the Omicron variant may be as severe as previous variants.

oops

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2a87c69a-3d91-4dff-975d-a6bed160a3bb_2382x1645.png

Compare charts B and D, specifically the last column. Note how we get a pretty similar distribution between those with prior exposure and those without.
And from what I've seen that chart is outdated (and not in a good way), where unvax'd people who got Omicron BA.1 aren't particularly immune to Omicron BA.4 or BA.5. Hopefully the virus keeps weakening, because it is continuing to get more contagious.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

And from what I've seen that chart is outdated (and not in a good way), where unvax'd people who got Omicron BA.1 aren't particularly immune to Omicron BA.4 or BA.5. Hopefully the virus keeps weakening, because it is continuing to get more contagious.
While I agree that chart has been overtaken by the virus the point remains valid--"natural" immunity isn't providing protection.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Sweden has logged one of the lowest pandemic death tolls in Europe despite its refusal to impose lockdowns, World Health Organization estimates suggest. The Scandinavian nation became an international outcast when it defied scientific advice and chose not to shut down in 2020 — instead relying on people's common sense and light social restrictions. Now, the WHO's analysis of excess deaths — people who died directly and indirectly from Covid — suggests the highly-controversial hands-off approach has been vindicated.
Of the 194 countries looked at by the UN health agency, Sweden's pandemic death rate ranked 101st with 56 per 100,000 — well below the average of 90. It also puts Sweden below most other major European nations that locked down several times, such as Italy (133), Germany (116), Spain (111), Britain (109), Portugal (100), the Netherlands (85), Belgium (77) and France (63).

Daily Mail

Lockdowns and mask mandates simply don't work.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
Lockdowns and mask mandates simply don't work
How do you explain the vastly lower case rate in counties that had mask mandates vs their neighboring counties? (Eg Kansas)

“the 7-day rolling average number of new daily cases per 100,000 population) decreased (mean decrease of 0.08 cases per 100,000 per day; net decrease of 6%) among counties with a mask mandate (mandated counties) but continued to increase (mean increase of 0.11 cases per 100,000 per day; net increase of 100%) among counties without a mask mandate”

Pretty stark, vs your barefaced unsupported assertion.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

While I agree that chart has been overtaken by the virus the point remains valid--"natural" immunity isn't providing protection.
Cue the next round of The Covidiot Pivot!

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Sweden has logged one of the lowest pandemic death tolls in Europe despite its refusal to impose lockdowns, World Health Organization estimates suggest. The Scandinavian nation became an international outcast when it defied scientific advice and chose not to shut down in 2020 — instead relying on people's common sense and light social restrictions. Now, the WHO's analysis of excess deaths — people who died directly and indirectly from Covid — suggests the highly-controversial hands-off approach has been vindicated.
Of the 194 countries looked at by the UN health agency, Sweden's pandemic death rate ranked 101st with 56 per 100,000 — well below the average of 90. It also puts Sweden below most other major European nations that locked down several times, such as Italy (133), Germany (116), Spain (111), Britain (109), Portugal (100), the Netherlands (85), Belgium (77) and France (63).

Daily Mail

Lockdowns and mask mandates simply don't work.
The Daily Fail, as usual peddling crap.

Sweden should have been compared to it's neighbors--but that would show that it did much worse than them.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
My brother-in-law is pretty sick with covid. And it looks like the rest of his family is coming down with it. The all got vaxxed but no boosters. And they are Trumpers.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Bill Gates has tested positive for covid. :rotfl:

The outspoken vaccine advocate said on Twitter he's "experiencing mild symptoms" and he's "following the experts' advice by isolating until I'm healthy again." Gates added that he's "fortunate to be vaccinated and boosted."

The billionaire Microsoft (MSFT) founder also said Tuesday that the Gates Foundation was "coming together" for the first time two years and that he's meeting them virtually on Microsoft Teams (where else?). "We will continue working with partners and do all we can to ensure none of us have to deal with a pandemic again," he said. Gates has spoken often about mitigation efforts and how to prevent the next pandemic. He told CNN International anchor Becky Anderson late last year about his hopes of having the Covid-19 pandemic under control by 2023. He predicts that with expanded vaccine availability, that next year the world "won't have the level disruption we have had for the first three years of this."

CNN

Bill Gates can fuck right off.

Top Bottom