• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Covid-19 miscellany

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Melatonin is partially regulated from signal from the melanopsin receptors in the periphery of the retina that are impacted from blue and green light only - UV won't get in - too busy making cataracts...

The melanopsin receptors send signals to the circadian rhythm center, etc...
I think his point was the term should have been melanin. UV without melanin leads to sunburn.
Ah, not getting from context that it was meant to be melanin is a worse error than mistaking melatonin for melanin, lol.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
I've been pretty pissed off at the school district. They eliminated the mask mandate in March but look what has happened to reported Covid cases in the schools. Top chart is provided on the district website. Reported cases have exceeded January and there is still a month left of school.

There is a daily email that provides counts by school and the second chart is my keeping track of counts only for the high school where my kid goes. And there is still a week before seniors graduate. My kid is super anxious when he is in the school. He wears N95's but few others do. He knows his mom is immune compromised. The board of health is strongly recommended that everyone wear masks but almost no one does. My repeated emails to the superintendent go unanswered.

Disctrict.jpg

High School.jpg

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
If your kid is wearing a mask he won’t catch covid I’m told.
Yeah, but that’s because you rely on idiots to tell you things.

If your kid wears a mask, he is slightly less likely to catch covid, and dramatically less likely to pass it on to others, if he does catch it.

Apparently such subtle and complex information is beyond both you and your sources.

It must be very odd to go through life thinking that absolutes exist, and that anything that isn’t perfect must be completely useless.

It must be even weirder to think that doing something mostly to protect others, rather than oneself, is pointless or valueless.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
If your kid is wearing a mask he won’t catch covid I’m told.
Yeah, but that’s because you rely on idiots to tell you things.

If your kid wears a mask, he is slightly less likely to catch covid,
That is false. Masks protect the wearer from COVID to a large extent.

All day without a fit-tested N95 it's not going to give nearly the protection it does for the medical people.
Then don't wear one. But, given you wear one in situations that do not warrant it at all, I doubt you'll do so.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
This shows that the science the lockdown authoritarians were following was entirely made up;

A study of nearly 30,000 people has found asymptomatic carriers are about 68 per cent less likely to pass the virus on than those who get sick.

No10 used concerns about asymptomatic spread to justify forcing Britons to obey lockdowns and wear masks.

They were thought to account for up to a third of all infections and many scientists claimed asymptomatic patients were just as infectious as the sick. But a new global study spanning 42 countries, including the UK and US, found they were only responsible for as little as 14 per cent of cases.

Daily Mail

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
This shows that the science the lockdown authoritarians were following was entirely made up;

A study of nearly 30,000 people has found asymptomatic carriers are about 68 per cent less likely to pass the virus on than those who get sick.

No10 used concerns about asymptomatic spread to justify forcing Britons to obey lockdowns and wear masks.

They were thought to account for up to a third of all infections and many scientists claimed asymptomatic patients were just as infectious as the sick. But a new global study spanning 42 countries, including the UK and US, found they were only responsible for as little as 14 per cent of cases.

Daily Mail
The Daily Mail has yet to show any interest in science.

To present a newspaper article as a refutation of science is to make a category error; It’s not the kind of thing that can do the thing you are claiming.

And the quote you provided doesn’t even say what you are claiming it says, so even if it could, it wouldn’t.

“lockdown authoritarians” are a figment of your paranoid imagination, but even if they existed, the “evidence” you are presenting wouldn’t say anything useful about them.

Your post is fractally wrong. No matter the scale at which we examine it, it is utter bollocks.

That would be quite an impressive achievement, were it not for the fact that the Daily Mail, who are world renowned experts in the field of being totally wrong about almost everything, hadn’t done most of the work for you.

I know you don’t give a shit about being wrong on this subject - your posting history makes that quite clear - but on the off-chance that you were to want to understand just how badly wrong you are, I would suggest you start by considering whether or not 14% is greater than zero.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
An update on an earlier study that showed lockdowns were ineffective at stopping the spread of covid;

The first Covid lockdowns saved 10,000 lives in Europe and US and had 'little or no effect' on the virus death rate, updated analysis suggests. A review by an international team of economists found draconian shutdowns only reduced Covid mortality by 3 per cent in the UK, US and Europe in 2020. The experts, from Johns Hopkins University in the US, Lund University in Sweden and the Danish think-tank the Center for Political Studies, said that equates to 6,000 fewer deaths in Europe and 4,000 fewer in the US. This marks a revision from the group's first report last year, which found lockdowns cut Covid deaths by just 0.2 per cent. The team said the updated figure is down to changes in their calculations and new studies. But they still conclude: 'Stricter lockdowns are not an effective way of reducing mortality rates during a pandemic, at least not during the first wave of the Covid pandemic.'

Daily Mail

Bad news for the lockdown authoritarians.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
An update on an earlier study that showed lockdowns were ineffective at stopping the spread of covid;

The first Covid lockdowns saved 10,000 lives in Europe and US and had 'little or no effect' on the virus death rate, updated analysis suggests. A review by an international team of economists found draconian shutdowns only reduced Covid mortality by 3 per cent in the UK, US and Europe in 2020. The experts, from Johns Hopkins University in the US, Lund University in Sweden and the Danish think-tank the Center for Political Studies, said that equates to 6,000 fewer deaths in Europe and 4,000 fewer in the US. This marks a revision from the group's first report last year, which found lockdowns cut Covid deaths by just 0.2 per cent. The team said the updated figure is down to changes in their calculations and new studies. But they still conclude: 'Stricter lockdowns are not an effective way of reducing mortality rates during a pandemic, at least not during the first wave of the Covid pandemic.'

Daily Mail

What lockdown?

Oh wait... you are calling no restaurants, bars, or going to The Gap as meaning a "lockdown". Then we can talk about "stopping" verses "slowing", but that'd probably too nuanced for a high brow reader of The Daily Mail.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
"Two weeks to flatten the curve". Jimmy conveniently omits the schools, universities, dentists, doctors offices etc being closed causing untold (so far) damage. Too nuanced for an intellectual heavyweight such as Jimmy.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1

Daily Mail

What lockdown?

Oh wait... you are calling no restaurants, bars, or going to The Gap as meaning a "lockdown". Then we can talk about "stopping" verses "slowing", but that'd probably too nuanced for a high brow reader of The Daily Mail.
The use of the term 'lockdown' to mean the shuttering of many businesses and the forbidding of many activities is a standard term all over the Anglosphere.

So, TSwizzle is calling that a lockdown because that's what a lockdown means.

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccines for Children Down to 6 Months of Age | FDA

Bumping the minimum age for the Pfizer vaccine down from 5 years and for the Moderna vaccine down from 18 years. Seems to me that the FDA is trying to be *very* cautious. But it's good that the FDA now covers all of the population that can move around on its own -- babies start to crawl at 6 to 10 months of age.

The Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is administered as a primary series of two doses, one month apart, to individuals 6 months through 17 years of age. The vaccine is also authorized to provide a third primary series dose at least one month following the second dose for individuals in this age group who have been determined to have certain kinds of immunocompromise.

The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered as a primary series of three doses in which the initial two doses are administered three weeks apart followed by a third dose administered at least eight weeks after the second dose in individuals 6 months through 4 years of age.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Authorizes Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccines for Children Down to 6 Months of Age | FDA

Bumping the minimum age for the Pfizer vaccine down from 5 years and for the Moderna vaccine down from 18 years. Seems to me that the FDA is trying to be *very* cautious. But it's good that the FDA now covers all of the population that can move around on its own -- babies start to crawl at 6 to 10 months of age.
The FDA is concerned both with safety and effectiveness. The trial with Pfizer failed the second part of that. Likewise the first attempt at a booster targeted on Omicron.

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Can someone comment on whether or not there might be some level of "original antigenic sin" with using a two year old recipe for the newer omicron strains?

This video from 53:07 and forward...

Risk myocarditis for an outdated vaccine booster for young healthy people?

Risk/Benefit anyone?

So going back to my old post, what about this twitter thread in posts 8 and 9?

(8/) Multiple recent reports have highlighted the immune imprinting or “original antigenic sin” phenomenon. (Y.J. Park et al. https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.05.08.491108, J. Quandt et al. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciimmunol.abq2427, C.J. Reynolds et al. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abq1841)
(9/) Our results also show that Omicron breakthrough infections mainly recall wildtype vaccine induced memory B cells, which limits its ability to broaden the diversity of antibodies elicited.

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism
Thiis video from 53:07 to the end gives me pause for getting the OG vaccine booster when the Omicron vaccine is only a couple months away. Not just poorly effective, but maybe counter effective?

I'm not going to waste my time on the video, but I have heard of the "counter effective" bit--crap extrapolation by the disinformation crowd.
This is part 26 of a professional immunology lecture series given in 2018. It discusses the paradoxical aspects of "original antigenic sin" for influenza.

You should take a look now, Loren.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
(8/) Multiple recent reports have highlighted the immune imprinting or “original antigenic sin” phenomenon. (Y.J. Park et al. https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.05.08.491108, J. Quandt et al. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciimmunol.abq2427, C.J. Reynolds et al. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abq1841)
(9/) Our results also show that Omicron breakthrough infections mainly recall wildtype vaccine induced memory B cells, which limits its ability to broaden the diversity of antibodies elicited.
Note that the same problem with original antigenic sin applies from infection as from vaccination.

As with basically every argument against the vaccine it applies more to infection than to the vaccine. I have yet to hear of a substantial adverse outcome from the vaccine that is not at least equally likely from infection and in general far more likely.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Thiis video from 53:07 to the end gives me pause for getting the OG vaccine booster when the Omicron vaccine is only a couple months away. Not just poorly effective, but maybe counter effective?

I'm not going to waste my time on the video, but I have heard of the "counter effective" bit--crap extrapolation by the disinformation crowd.
This is part 26 of a professional immunology lecture series given in 2018. It discusses the paradoxical aspects of "original antigenic sin" for influenza.

You should take a look now, Loren.
First, it doesn't make the body less able to fight it, just not as able as it could be. Second, it would happen with infection anyway. You're advocating jumping from the frying pan to the fire.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
For you deniers: The risk of lasting damage goes up every time you get it:

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F4d5c2ce2-ed83-40a9-9832-8cc3ee3c5b5d_960x1200.png

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I see plague rat and double/triple/boosted Fauci has covid again;

After testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Tuesday that he has joined a growing group of people experiencing a Paxlovid rebound, following treatment with Pfizer's antiviral. Fauci, 81, said that when he first tested positive two weeks ago, he had very minimal symptoms. However, when he began to feel worse, "given [his] age," he was prescribed Paxlovid. Other than fatigue and a bit of congestion, Fauci reported that he felt "really quite well," and after his five-day course of Paxlovid, he tested negative with a rapid test.

ABC News

Despite zero evidence that masks work for "stopping/slowing the spread", non doctor Barbara Ferrer and the control freaks in LA County are starting to make noises about indoor mask mandates again;

Los Angeles County health officials are warning the region is again trending in the wrong direction when it comes to COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations. If the county reaches 10 new daily hospital admissions per 100,000 residents, it will move into the "high" virus activity category as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If the county stays in the "high" category for two consecutive weeks, it will reimpose a mandatory indoor mask-wearing mandate.
She (Ferrer) noted, however, that given the continued high level of virus transmission in the county -- particularly with more rapid spread of the highly transmissible BA.4 and BA.5 variants -- people should already be masking up indoors.

ABC News

"masking up", what male bovine excrement.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Despite zero evidence that masks work for "stopping/slowing the spread", non doctor Barbara Ferrer and the control freaks in LA County are starting to make noises about indoor mask mandates again;
There is abundantly clear evidence masks help. Whether mask mandates do anything comes down to how they are enforced.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Daily Covid infections and deaths are beginning to surge in the U.S. after over a month of little movement - signaling that a summer surge fueled by the BA.5 variant could now be under way. America is averaging 649 daily deaths from Covid, a 97 percent increase over the past week. It is the largest seven day increase in deaths since early December. Recorded infections have made a leap as well, to 136,903 per day. It is a 24 percent increase over seven days and the largest daily case average since February - when America was coming down off of the largest Covid surge of the pandemic. These sharp increases are being attributed to the BA.5 variant. The highly infectious strain of the virus that has quickly taken over as the dominant strain in the United States. While more mandates related to the virus are not expected in the near future, Dr Anthony Fauci, America's top infectious disease expert, once again recommended Americans wear masks in indoor public gatherings. According to most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the BA.5 strain now makes up 65 percent of active cases in the U.S.

Daily Mail

The vaccines are proving to be a bit of a bust. I don't believe the 649 daily deaths from covid either. In most cases in LA County, hosptial patients were admitted to hospital for something other than covid but then tested for covid which skews the numbers.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
The daily average deaths is about half that. And that averages to between 7 or 8 per state per day, which isn't a particularly large number.

The vaccine worked great against the first two bugs, not so well against the bugs 10,000 mutations later. Of course, those diseases aren't as deadly either.

blastula

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Gnostic atheist
The daily average deaths is about half that. And that averages to between 7 or 8 per state per day, which isn't a particularly large number.

The vaccine worked great against the first two bugs, not so well against the bugs 10,000 mutations later. Of course, those diseases aren't as deadly either.

The vaccines are still working against severe disease.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
The vaccines are proving to be a bit of a bust. I don't believe the 649 daily deaths from covid either. In most cases in LA County, hosptial patients were admitted to hospital for something other than covid but then tested for covid which skews the numbers.
Your unwillingness to accept reality doesn't make it go away.

I know one of those "with Covid" cases--while she wasn't admitted for Covid in hindsight it's obvious that it was Covid that destabilized her existing medical issues. It wasn't reported as a Covid death but it was one.

repoman

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Science Based Atheism

I know one of those "with Covid" cases--while she wasn't admitted for Covid in hindsight it's obvious that it was Covid that destabilized her existing medical issues. It wasn't reported as a Covid death but it was one.
This is a sliding scale. Was covid 10-20% responsible?

Someone in stellar health getting whacked by covid (even if from a more subtle issue with clotting) is approaching 100% caused by covid.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
"Doctor" Barbara Ferrer threatens mask mandates on LA County.

Masks orders are set to return to Los Angeles after the city officially crossed the threshold of 'high' Covid risk of Thursday night - with official guidance saying that mask mandates will return if it remains above that threshold for at least 14 consecutive days. According to most recent data from the city's health department, the city is averaging 6,384 new cases every day and its test positivity rate - which has become one of the most effective ways to judge the current pandemic-state - has ballooned to 15 percent. It comes as the BA.5 variant, which is now dominant in the U.S., continues its spread and causes case counts to jump across America. Daily infections in America have increased by 30 percent over the past week to 140,677 per day, while deaths have crept up 25 percent to 536 daily over the last seven days. America's second largest city is currently averaging 157 Covid-related hospitalizations every day, according to most recent official data. 'While we are not seeing anywhere near the devastation we saw last winter's omicron surge, we are seeing much higher case numbers than we saw at the peak of the delta surge. It's unlikely we are at the peak of this surge,' Barbara Ferrer, the city's public health director said Thursday. But she added that Covid has killed more people in the city through the year's first six months than any other infectious disease.

Daily Mail

She's a liar.

The authoritarians will not give up their "recently acquired" emergency powers. It has been more than two years since these bastards have fucked with our lives and they continue to do so. There is no emergency and they still cling to their emergency powers.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Democratic Socialist Atheist
Yeah, the power to say people should wear masks. The Horror... the horror...

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

This is a sliding scale. Was covid 10-20% responsible?

Someone in stellar health getting whacked by covid (even if from a more subtle issue with clotting) is approaching 100% caused by covid.
They were not in good health but they were stable. They destabilized, the hospital found Covid. Why would one think they weren't connected?

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
"Doctor" Barbara Ferrer threatens mask mandates on LA County.

Masks orders are set to return to Los Angeles after the city officially crossed the threshold of 'high' Covid risk of Thursday night - with official guidance saying that mask mandates will return if it remains above that threshold for at least 14 consecutive days. According to most recent data from the city's health department, the city is averaging 6,384 new cases every day and its test positivity rate - which has become one of the most effective ways to judge the current pandemic-state - has ballooned to 15 percent. It comes as the BA.5 variant, which is now dominant in the U.S., continues its spread and causes case counts to jump across America. Daily infections in America have increased by 30 percent over the past week to 140,677 per day, while deaths have crept up 25 percent to 536 daily over the last seven days. America's second largest city is currently averaging 157 Covid-related hospitalizations every day, according to most recent official data. 'While we are not seeing anywhere near the devastation we saw last winter's omicron surge, we are seeing much higher case numbers than we saw at the peak of the delta surge. It's unlikely we are at the peak of this surge,' Barbara Ferrer, the city's public health director said Thursday. But she added that Covid has killed more people in the city through the year's first six months than any other infectious disease.

Daily Mail

She's a liar.

The authoritarians will not give up their "recently acquired" emergency powers. It has been more than two years since these bastards have fucked with our lives and they continue to do so. There is no emergency and they still cling to their emergency powers.
And why do you think that claim is false? Before the world blew up you had to go down to #9 on the causes of death to find any infectious disease. A quick look at the deaths/day shows it's now around 300/day which translates to 100k/yr--taking over the #9 spot. And note that earlier in the year the death rate was a lot higher. I'm not finding a count of 2022 deaths but looking at Google's graph I would eyeball it as probably taking the #3 spot behind heart disease and cancer.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Two officials at one of the largest hospital systems in Los Angeles and Southern California dismissed government officials’ statements about another wave of COVID-19 hitting the region and the United States as ‘media hype,’ The Epoch Times reported Sunday. This flies in the face of Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer’s announcement on Thursday that Los Angeles County has officially reached the “High” level of new COVID-19 cases and County hospitalization rates, giving the County two weeks to fall back below or else mandatory indoor masking mandates return, as the Globe reported. Ferrer has been teasing with the “high” level of COVID-19 transmission” indoor mask mandates will likely come back. “In a news conference on July 13, Brad Spellberg, the chief medical officer of Los Angeles County and University of Southern California Medical Center, and epidemiologist Paul Holtom, said that there have been no changes in the transmission levels of COVID-19.” Dr. Spellberg said they are seeing thousands of people with Covid, “but it is mild, and they go home,” he said. He said of the patients who are admitted to the hospital, “90% of the time it is not due to Covid. Only 10% of our Covid-positive admissions are due to Covid. None of them go to the ICU, and when they do, it is not for pneumonia,” he added. “They are not intibated. We have not seen one of those since February. As of this morning, we have no one in the hospital who had pulmonary disease due to COVID. Nobody in the hospital … Nobody. Nobody who had COVID-19 disease as we would see it in the past. So I guess it is hard to get a little more excited,” he said.

CA Globe

“Doctor” Ferrer is a control freak, nut and not even a medical doctor. Her thing is about “equity”.

The authoritarians will not get me wearing a mask.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
The authoritarians will not get me wearing a mask.
I hope the next time you go to the dentist or need surgery you stick to your principles and insist no masks to be worn.

Why would letting someone else wear a mask mean TSwizzle wasn't 'sticking to his principles'?

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
Why would letting someone else wear a mask mean TSwizzle wasn't 'sticking to his principles'?
Do a search, and count the amount of time TSwizzle has said masks are ineffective.
That does not answer my question.

Saying "I refuse to wear a mask because they are ineffective" does not conflict with allowing other people to wear or not wear masks as they please.

Indeed, if TSwizzle did as you asked, it would be hypocrisy. It would be an authoritarian demand to impose his preferences on others.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
Do a search, and count the amount of time TSwizzle has said masks are ineffective.

Saying "I refuse to wear a mask because they are ineffective" does not conflict with allowing other people to wear or not wear masks as they please.

Indeed, if TSwizzle did as you asked, it would be hypocrisy. It would be an authoritarian demand to impose his preferences on others.
You’re missing the point: I would expect TSwizzle or any person who is even moderately competent to be quite upset if their dentist and/or dental hygienist started to perform work on them without wearing a mask. It would be unsafe for both patient and health care workers. It is unlikely that TSwizzle would suggest much less insist or even accept that dental procedures be performed under such conditions.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1

You’re missing the point: I would expect TSwizzle or any person who is even moderately competent to be quite upset if their dentist and/or dental hygienist started to perform work on them without wearing a mask. It would be unsafe for both patient and health care workers. It is unlikely that TSwizzle would suggest much less insist or even accept that dental procedures be performed under such conditions.
No. You are missing the point. Patooka made an inference that did not follow from TSwizzle's stated comments. He was using bad reasoning solely in order to attack TSwizzle.

Patooka

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
aaa
Patooka made an inference that did not follow from TSwizzle's stated comments.
Patooka did make an inference that exactly follows the numerous times TSwizzle has said masks are ineffective. And TSwizzle has said that a lot. Do your own research.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1
Patooka did make an inference that exactly follows the numerous times TSwizzle has said masks are ineffective. And TSwizzle has said that a lot. Do your own research.
So what if he said they were ineffective? So what? TSwizzle said he didn't want authoritarians to force him to wear a mask. It does not follow that he wants to or should prevent others from wearing masks.

I don't want the government to force people to exercise. That doesn't mean I object to people exercising of their own free will.

Toni

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Peace on Earth, goodwill towards all
So what if he said they were ineffective? So what? TSwizzle said he didn't want authoritarians to force him to wear a mask. It does not follow that he wants to or should prevent others from wearing masks.

I don't want the government to force people to exercise. That doesn't mean I object to people exercising of their own free will.
So, you're arguing that TSwizzle thinks of himself as a special case? I am certain that he expects medical personnel to wear masks as required by laws governing medical procedures. I am certain that he expects masks to be worn (by dentist and assistants) when he is having a dental procedure or even a dental exam. I am certain he expects masks to be work by everyone in the surgical area should he have surgery.

TSwizzle obviously thinks he should not be forced to wear a mask. I doubt he believes that others should not be so required if it protects him.

Metaphor

Adult human male
Warning Level 3
Warning Level 2
Warning Level 1

So, you're arguing that TSwizzle thinks of himself as a special case?
No.

I am certain that he expects medical personnel to wear masks as required by laws governing medical procedures. I am certain that he expects masks to be worn (by dentist and assistants) when he is having a dental procedure or even a dental exam. I am certain he expects masks to be work by everyone in the surgical area should he have surgery.

TSwizzle obviously thinks he should not be forced to wear a mask. I doubt he believes that others should not be so required if it protects him.
I don't know what he thinks, but even if he does think his dentist or surgeon should be forced to wear a mask, that would still not necessarily be a hypocrisy. After all, dentists and doctors wear masks in particular contexts, not as a general rule of being alive in public.

Nor does it follow, as Patooka implied, that his principles would require him to demand other people do not wear masks.

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Mask mandates don't work;

New data shows Covid cases in Singapore and New Zealand have overtaken Australia in the latest Omicron wave despite ultra-strict mask mandates. Masks are worn everywhere in the densely-populated Asian city while New Zealanders are forced to wear them in all indoor public places, such as shopping centres and libraries. But both now have higher case numbers per million than Australia, where compulsory mask rules have been abandoned in most indoor settings. These figures appear to smash the push now on in Australia for a return to mask mandates, which are currently compulsory only on public transport and in aged care and healthcare centres.

Daily Mail

Forgot say, I was getting gas at Costco yesterday ($5.40 a gallon, thanks Brandon!!) and a guy pulled up to the pump, put a mask on, got out his car, got gas, got in his car and took his mask off. He actually put a mask on outdoors!! I'm like "where the cameras at? This fool can't be serious."

TSwizzle

Let's Go Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
I am certain that he expects medical personnel to wear masks as required by laws governing medical procedures. I am certain that he expects masks to be worn (by dentist and assistants) when he is having a dental procedure or even a dental exam. I am certain he expects masks to be work by everyone in the surgical area should he have surgery.

You know what pisses me off? That the doctor washes their hands and wears latex gloves before treating me. I particularly object to the latex glove when getting my prostate exam. But what am I gonna do? Thems the rules. :shrug:

Top Bottom