• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Cracker Barrel to Pay Out Millions in Lawsuit

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So apparently, serving a beverage with a bleach product in it is viewed as "bad". Cracker Barrel wasn't certain about that, thought maybe there was some gray area involved. Granted, the lawsuit paid out $10 million*, but the victim has suffered quite a bit from this. I don't know if the damages were permanent, but they claim that they were at least "permeant".

Still Cracker Barrel was disappointed.
Cracker Barrel statement said:
While we have great respect for the legal process, we are obviously disappointed by and strongly disagree with the jury’s award in this case, which involved an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago. I mean seriously, the sort of physical complications occurs if you eat from our Food Bar in general. You think that Shrimp is fresh... at that price?! They know the risks of eating at a Cracker Barrel.
I might have embellished a little.

* conservatives passed laws limiting just how much compensation can be awarded to people that are victims of others

So apparently, serving a beverage with a bleach product in it is viewed as "bad". Cracker Barrel wasn't certain about that, thought maybe there was some gray area involved. Granted, the lawsuit paid out $10 million*, but the victim has suffered quite a bit from this. I don't know if the damages were permanent, but they claim that they were at least "permeant".

Still Cracker Barrel was disappointed.
Cracker Barrel statement said:
While we have great respect for the legal process, we are obviously disappointed by and strongly disagree with the jury’s award in this case, which involved an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago. I mean seriously, the sort of physical complications occurs if you eat from our Food Bar in general. You think that Shrimp is fresh... at that price?! They know the risks of eating at a Cracker Barrel.
I might have embellished a little.

* conservatives passed laws limiting just how much compensation can be awarded to people that are victims of others
Yes, I heard about this. I wouldn't trade $10 million for the suffering that he's had.

Damn... How much did he drink?
I estimate about 8 ounces. According to the Newsweek article, it was regular practice for the kitchen crew to mix sanitizing fluid in the same type of pitcher which is used to serve water to patrons.

This story is the absolute pinnacle of bad management. They have unlabeled chemicals mixed in beverage containers and no one thought there was anything wrong with this. This kind of thing is classified as a "Swiss Cheese Accident". You slice a block of Swiss cheese and then shuffle the slices. Most of the time, the holes no longer line up, but every once in a while, there's a clear path in one side and out the other. Multiple people had to all fuck up at the same instance for that to happen, and a workplace, the only way that can happen is incompetent management.

This story is the absolute pinnacle of bad management. They have unlabeled chemicals mixed in beverage containers and no one thought there was anything wrong with this. This kind of thing is classified as a "Swiss Cheese Accident". You slice a block of Swiss cheese and then shuffle the slices. Most of the time, the holes no longer line up, but every once in a while, there's a clear path in one side and out the other. Multiple people had to all fuck up at the same instance for that to happen, and a workplace, the only way that can happen is incompetent management.
I agree. Companies are supposed to have plans that prevent these things from occurring which typically involves labelling all containers as to contents. It's possible someone fucked up despite a good plan but it's a pretty egregious incident and quite telling. Cracker barrel doesn't seem to get it which is not a good thing going forward.

Poor guy. Deserves every penny.

Our IHOP here was shut down for four days due to numerous health code violations.

Poor guy. Deserves every penny.

Our IHOP here was shut down for four days due to numerous health code violations.
I read the link and apparently, he doesn't get to keep the entire award due to a TN law that caps settlements for economic hardship. I am not certain who does get the 'excess' money, though? I mean, sure, his legal team will get their share but after that.

And yeah, his lawyer is quoted about his client willingly trading all the money just to go back in time and not have to go through what he's gone through:

Despite the restrictions, Greer said his client is happy about the money but "would take all the money … and throw it in the ocean to go back in time and not have this happen to him."

Remember the good old days of generics when you'd just have cans with white labels and black lettering of the contents, like "Food" written on the label?
The navy was big on these products, like rectangular metal cans that could be this, could be that. You have to read the label. So the cook poured what he thought was vegetable oil on the grill which has the same color and viscosity as pine oil and used it until the complaints started coming in. Same rectangular metal can. How he couldn't smell it is beyond me. Then again being a navy cook...

Back in the 90d somebody got coffee at a MacFomalds drive up wimdpw. She put the cup between her lega on the set and drove off. Coffee soiled and burned her. She sued and won, they shoud have arned her.

Burn incident​

On February 27, 1992, Liebeck ordered a 49-cent cup of coffee from the drive-through window of an Albuquerque McDonald's restaurant at 5001 Gibson Boulevard Southeast. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of a 1989 Ford Probe, which did not have cup holders. Her grandson parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Liebeck placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[13] Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[2][14]

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[14] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9.1 kg) (nearly 20 percent of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for three weeks, which was provided by her daughter.[15] Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.[16][17]

Back in the 90d somebody got coffee at a MacFomalds drive up wimdpw. She put the cup between her lega on the set and drove off. Coffee soiled and burned her. She sued and won, they shoud have arned her.
We've discussed this fucking case several times.

She didn't drive off. She was in a parked car... in a parking lot... in the passenger side. The car wasn't even moving. She tried to take the lid off to put in sugars... and spilled coffee on her that destroyed (not merely hurt) her skin.

If you bothered to read the text you quoted below... you'd have gotten those points right.

She also sued for a pittance. Skin grafts aren't cheap.

Burn incident​

On February 27, 1992, Liebeck ordered a 49-cent cup of coffee from the drive-through window of an Albuquerque McDonald's restaurant at 5001 Gibson Boulevard Southeast. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of a 1989 Ford Probe, which did not have cup holders. Her grandson parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Liebeck placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[13] Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[2][14]

Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[14] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. During this period, Liebeck lost 20 pounds (9.1 kg) (nearly 20 percent of her body weight), reducing her to 83 pounds (38 kg). After the hospital stay, Liebeck needed care for three weeks, which was provided by her daughter.[15] Liebeck suffered permanent disfigurement after the incident and was partially disabled for two years.[16][17]
Can't wait to have to set someone right about this case the next damn time.

It is hard to take anybody seriously on an anonymous forum.

I shall endeavor to exceed your high intellectual standards.

We've discussed this fucking case several times.

She didn't drive off. She was in a parked car... in a parking lot... in the passenger side. The car wasn't even moving. She tried to take the lid off to put in sugars... and spilled coffee on her that destroyed (not merely hurt) her skin.

If you bothered to read the text you quoted below... you'd have gotten those points right.

She also sued for a pittance. Skin grafts aren't cheap.

Burn incident​

Can't wait to have to set someone right about this case the next damn time.
The deciding factor in the McDonald's hot coffee case was that they had been cited for serving coffee above the temperature allowed by the health code. There had been complaints before. This meant that management knew a hazard existed and disregarded the regulations.

As they say around the first aid kit, the safety regs are written in blood. There's not a single health of safety rule that wasn't written after somebody got hurt or killed.

As they say around the first aid kit, the safety regs are written in blood. There's not a single health of safety rule that wasn't written after somebody got hurt or killed.
Which is rwally fucking scary when you read regulations like "nuclear contaminated tools shall not be stored in berthing areas." Someone had to be told, in writing, that this was a bsd idea.
Or, knew it was a bad idea, but insisted, "show me where it says i can't!"

It is hard to take anybody seriously on an anonymous forum.

I shall endeavor to exceed your high intellectual standards.
It's not all tgat intelldctual.
Big business got sued.
Corporate America sank a LOT of money into a coordinated campaign to make possible jurors think it was an outrageous amount, for not-that-bad an injury, to protect the corporations from future liability.

So, today, relatively few Americans know it was good law, that she wasn't gouging McD's, that the coffee was so hot it melted her vagina shut. But loads of Americans are misinformed and credit the corporate story out of ignorance.

It comes up in our office three times a decade, always someone who thinks 'Warning! Coffee is hot!' is a laff riot.

Back
Top Bottom