• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Creating an Electronic Media Book

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Having a child in this day and age allows you to do so much. Photos can be taken with reckless disregard. HD videos at a click of a button. And you can even create your own books of memories for relatively cheap.

But one problem with a book is that they don't show video very well. Which made me look online about options about pasting together an E-Book or a computer equivalent of it. My searching came up a bit blank. Plenty of places offer the services of creating E-Books, but more for a larger production, not the an individual trying to make something that isn't for sale.

I want to create something that can be developed like a book, but have the ability to show video, and maybe even have dynamic photos. I was looking at PDF and seeing if that was an option, but that didn't seem very positive either. A PDF has universal access, an E-Book doesn't.

I'm pondering whether HTML 5 might be the best solution, but I was hoping for an all inclusive file, not something that would require additional resources. Any ideas?

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
That's an interesting question. I haven't really researched the issue. With HTML 5/CSS 3 you could have an all inclusive folder and all you would need is a web browser. I'm guessing you aren't afraid digging into the details of the markup language, rather making it as simple and universal as possible for non-technical individuals. You could send me a zip file of a folder and it's be very simple, but I can see how that would confuse some people. The current trend/fad on the web seems to be more scrolling than page flipping.

It seems everyone wants to be the standard for ebooks with a lot of cross pollination of technologies. I think even Adobe is trying to clean up Flash and use HTML 5. Did you find this yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats (If you scroll to the bottom there are some nice charts). Let us know what you end up going with.

gmbteach

Mrs Frizzle
Basic Beliefs
On my journey :D
Years ago I remember making movies that are converted into a medium that can be played just about anywhere using a product called 'Movie Maker'. You upload your videos, photos, music - anything you want really, and you create a movie. It can be a bit like a powerpoint presentation, or a full blown movie.

If you have a mac, the iMovie might be the way to go.

I don't know if this is what you were after, but it might be starting point.

NobleSavage

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Years ago I remember making movies that are converted into a medium that can be played just about anywhere using a product called 'Movie Maker'. You upload your videos, photos, music - anything you want really, and you create a movie. It can be a bit like a powerpoint presentation, or a full blown movie.

iBooks would be the way to go there. I didn't mention it because I assumed Jimmy Higgins wouldn't be interested.

However, If you don't mind he general stench of Mac they usually have this kind of thing worked out the best/easiest.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist

Looking for a book like format though, or an individual file. I want to be able to bind a bunch of media together in a book format (or single file), not as much access videos. I want someone to be able to open a single entity and be able to see a particular presentation of media. Something like Shutterfly, but with videos, so consequently, something completely digital.

I don't have a Mac and am not big on joining that cult. ;)

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
May need to experiment. Sadly, my version of Adobe Standard is 6.0. I have access to Bluebeam though. It is capable of good and crappy stuff.

Top Bottom