• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

De Blasio's New York

Things have not completely gone to shit as police close in on Karen who was squabbling with a youth over a phone in a hotel lobby. Priorities eh ?

As far as I can tell from what footage and images I've seen, many of the youths were non-white? I haven't seen it reported as such. I believe all three of the victims were white.

Things have not completely gone to shit as police close in on Karen who was squabbling with a youth over a phone in a hotel lobby. Priorities eh ?

Hmm...are you joining the defund effort? I mean, the NYPD has a budget of over $10,000,000,000 dollars last I heard, if they can only handle one investigation at a time, it strongly suggests that they are wildly overfunded and could likely be scaled back to, say... $50k/year or so.

Also, how do you know they didn't just confuse the people inside for someone that had tried to run them over last week? I think the right thing to do was for the folks in the car to get out and calmly prove who they were, and then the entire thing would have ended amicably.

(Personally, I suspect that this it's always possible to encounter a group of violent assholes in a city of several million people, and that police are fully capable of investigating multiple crimes, and ideally should do so, which, you know, they claim they are. But that's just me.)

Driver says he feared for his life as group on bikes attacked BMW in Manhattan

Really disgraceful. But par for the course these days. It looks like NYC is descending into the bad old days of 70s and 80s. And things may get even worse as some of the candidates for mayor make anti-police DeBlasio look like a FOP spokesman in comparison.

How does this have anything to do with the police? They weren't there! Bikes have a big advantage in crowded traffic and probably figured there was no way the police could catch them.

How does this have anything to do with the police? They weren't there!
DeBlasio and the city council cut police budget by $1 billion in response to widespread race riots this Summer. So of course that affects policing.

Bikes have a big advantage in crowded traffic and probably figured there was no way the police could catch them.

Another problem is that even if you catch them all they get these days is a desk appearance ticket and a slap on the wrist.

How does this have anything to do with the police? They weren't there!
DeBlasio and the city council cut police budget by $1 billion in response to widespread race riots this Summer. So of course that affects policing.

Bikes have a big advantage in crowded traffic and probably figured there was no way the police could catch them.

Another problem is that even if you catch them all they get these days is a desk appearance ticket and a slap on the wrist.

Yeah. I agree with getting rid of bail for the first offense, but if you are arrested again while the first charge is still pending something should be done.

Hmm...are you joining the defund effort? I mean, the NYPD has a budget of over $10,000,000,000 dollars last I heard, if they can only handle one investigation at a time, it strongly suggests that they are wildly overfunded and could likely be scaled back to, say... $50k/year or so.

Well NYC is a huge city and so the budget is hardly surprising. And DeBlasio had cut the budget by $1 billion.

Also, how do you know they didn't just confuse the people inside for someone that had tried to run them over last week? I think the right thing to do was for the folks in the car to get out and calmly prove who they were, and then the entire thing would have ended amicably.

1. That's silly speculation. The same gang also attacked a yellow cab. Do you think they believed that a cab wronged them in some way too?
2. Getting out of the car would have been very dangerous.

Personally, I suspect that this it's always possible to encounter a group of violent assholes in a city of several million people, and that police are fully capable of investigating multiple crimes, and ideally should do so, which, you know, they claim they are. But that's just me.)

And when the police catch the perps, they only get a desk appearance ticket.

Yeah. I agree with getting rid of bail for the first offense, but if you are arrested again while the first charge is still pending something should be done.

I agree with the first part of that for minor offenses only. The problem is that NY extended mandatory "own recognizance" releases for some felonies, even serious ones.

Manslaughter, Arson, Hate Crimes — See All The Crimes Suspects In New York Now Get Released For Under Bail Reform

That was a serious fuckup in Albany.

I agree with the first part of that for minor offenses only. The problem is that NY extended mandatory "own recognizance" releases for some felonies, even serious ones.

Manslaughter, Arson, Hate Crimes — See All The Crimes Suspects In New York Now Get Released For Under Bail Reform

By electing Democrats New Yorkers are getting the government they deserve, good and hard.

I think the right thing to do was for the folks in the car to get out and calmly prove who they were, and then the entire thing would have ended amicably.

Getting out would have been asking for a Darwin award.

I don't mind it even for the serious offenses--they're not convicted.

The problem comes when it's taken as license to offend again.

I think the right thing to do was for the folks in the car to get out and calmly prove who they were, and then the entire thing would have ended amicably.

Well, I think it's obvious that sometimes there's just no talking to someone, but let's ask why this suddenly becomes a perfectly reasonable solution in the case of an out of control woman demanding some teenager's cell phone, accusing him of theft, and then tackling him in a hotel lobby?

Well, I think it's obvious that sometimes there's just no talking to someone, but let's ask why this suddenly becomes a perfectly reasonable solution in the case of an out of control woman demanding some teenager's cell phone, accusing him of theft, and then tackling him in a hotel lobby?

Talking is reasonable before there is violence. Not after.

And note that I'm not one who says he should have shown her the phone--that's setting up the possibility of a snatch and not a good idea in my book. Note what I proposed--dialing both numbers and seeing what rings.

Two quite different situations as regards immediate risk, imo. Not really comparable in that sense.

And the two did talk to the racist phone woman. They told her to go away, as there was no chance that they stole anything from her. And at that point, she turned violent. Why didn't the group just get out of the car when they saw the cyclists coming?

Can't have it both ways - either both attackers were obvious threats, or neither was. Of course, some people here plainly operate under "black people are always wrong", which is the actual assertion at hand here. Tis is simply to point out that obvious fact. My personal view, in contrast, is that the attackers were wrong in both cases - and that the NYPD can easily investigate both crimes at once, as well as several other crimes that have certainly taken place in the past week.

And the two did talk to the racist phone woman. They told her to go away, as there was no chance that they stole anything from her. And at that point, she turned violent. Why didn't the group just get out of the car when they saw the cyclists coming?

Can't have it both ways - either both attackers were obvious threats, or neither was. Of course, some people here plainly operate under "black people are always wrong", which is the actual assertion at hand here. Tis is simply to point out that obvious fact. My personal view, in contrast, is that the attackers were wrong in both cases - and that the NYPD can easily investigate both crimes at once, as well as several other crimes that have certainly taken place in the past week.

There was no issue with the cyclists until they started attacking and thus no opportunity to attempt a peaceful resolution. You don't get out and try to talk to someone who has just tried to kill you! (That windshield jump could have been lethal had the glass given way.)

Driver says he feared for his life as group on bikes attacked BMW in Manhattan

Really disgraceful. But par for the course these days. It looks like NYC is descending into the bad old days of 70s and 80s. And things may get even worse as some of the candidates for mayor make anti-police DeBlasio look like a FOP spokesman in comparison.
An incident of punks acting like idiots, and then getting all punky... and NYC is on the verge of bankruptcy and substantial increases in crime to match the 70s? I think Derec doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about. Crime happens. It doesn't mean the city is on the verge of collapse.

The article reads like the people on bicycles, I dare not call them cyclists, were up to no good. I remember nearly crashing into a just opened driver's side door of a parked car along a roadway as I approached a light. I was able to brake and stop from about 15 or 20 mph with about 2 or 3 feet to spare, not super fast, but much faster than a person doing a wheelie.

If a guy doing a wheelie can't stop in time for a stopped car? They are either idiots or looking for trouble. Their reaction after seemed a bit over the top. The person on the bike allegedly crashed into the car... not visa versa.

Back
Top Bottom