• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Death by Emu

T.G.G. Moogly

Traditional Atheist
Basic Beliefs
egalitarian
Cassowary actually.

Large, flightless bird attacks, kills Florida man

The San Diego Zoo’s website calls cassowaries the most dangerous birds in the world because of the 4-inch claw they have on each foot. They can “slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick” and can run up to 31 mph.

I don't know whether a Darwin Award is in order or not. The man appears to have been a breeder so it was his business. These birds aren't chicken, no pun intended.

People die from insect bites, snake bite, alligator attack, elephants, lions, even bacteria and virus. I've never heard of an adult being killed by a bird before.

I am naturally skeptical of Florida Man stories.

It's a curse of the 20th century, which the internet inherited and built upon. There is a short list of historical bogus facts which are believed true by a lot of people, because a satirical or humorous book or article is found many years later, and taken seriously.

The internet takes this process to exponential levels.

Cassowaries are bloody dangerous, and very territorial. They have been known to attack cars.

They're basically dinosaurs. Trying to keep one as a pet is just suicide, with extra steps. Even keeping them in captivity in properly regulated zoos and wildlife parks is a dangerous business.

The staff I spoke to at Fleay's Fauna Park say that the cassowaries are the most frightening exhibits - and these are people who have to annually collect the eggs from the saltwater crocodile enclosure.

The geese by my house don't take kindly to people invading their personal space.. .which is like 10 yards all around them. They are very much like dinosaurs.. Raptors even... not nice creatures at all... They will charge you, hiss at you, and I don't know what else since their display is quite effective at keeping people at a wide berth.

Back
Top Bottom