• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Democrats need to unite on their sense of purpose

SigmatheZeta

Basic Beliefs
Generally, I am rooted in both ancient Epicurean and ancient Pyrrhonist sentiments, although I am somewhat sympathetic toward the intentions behind ancient Cynicism.
Next year, we are approaching a mid-term election, and one of our party happens to be in the White House. This means that we are likely to lose seats, and the only question is how badly it's going to hurt.

Democrats have been, overall, on a serious losing streak since the mid-1990's. Our party has only held both the presidency and majorities in both houses of Congress for two years in an entire generation, and while there have been court victories for certain causes during that time, judges loyal to our beliefs no longer have control in the Supreme Court of the United States, which is slow to change and very difficult to win back. We are likely to take serious damage, over the next generation, in the area of reproductive liberties, and the possibility of renewed aggression against the LGBTQIAA community remains a particular topic of concern. Inequality in the United States continues to expand, and while it has not yet reached the extremes that were seen prior to World War II, we are starting to see political tensions that ought to be familiar to dedicated students of history.

I have a philosophy, regarding politics, based on my own uniquely intersectional background: people need to feel pain before you can ever get them serious about organizing in the defense of their own rights. This is a reality about human nature. A false sense of security tends to make it very difficult to get people to take you seriously, and by the time they have actually gotten organized, a part of the job description is comforting people whose lives have been utterly shattered. In order to find people that are open to joining you in a political coalition, you need to find people that have felt serious pain and understand the need to take action.

In order to unite this party and marshal them to serious fighting condition, we need to find where people are hurting the most, and we need to chart a realistic course toward improving their situation. We have less than a year in order to effect this outcome.

Next year, we are approaching a mid-term election, and one of our party happens to be in the White House. This means that we are likely to lose seats, and the only question is how badly it's going to hurt.

Democrats have been, overall, on a serious losing streak since the mid-1990's. Our party has only held both the presidency and majorities in both houses of Congress for two years in an entire generation, and while there have been court victories for certain causes during that time, judges loyal to our beliefs no longer have control in the Supreme Court of the United States, which is slow to change and very difficult to win back. We are likely to take serious damage, over the next generation, in the area of reproductive liberties, and the possibility of renewed aggression against the LGBTQIAA community remains a particular topic of concern. Inequality in the United States continues to expand, and while it has not yet reached the extremes that were seen prior to World War II, we are starting to see political tensions that ought to be familiar to dedicated students of history.

I have a philosophy, regarding politics, based on my own uniquely intersectional background: people need to feel pain before you can ever get them serious about organizing in the defense of their own rights. This is a reality about human nature. A false sense of security tends to make it very difficult to get people to take you seriously, and by the time they have actually gotten organized, a part of the job description is comforting people whose lives have been utterly shattered. In order to find people that are open to joining you in a political coalition, you need to find people that have felt serious pain and understand the need to take action.

In order to unite this party and marshal them to serious fighting condition, we need to find where people are hurting the most, and we need to chart a realistic course toward improving their situation. We have less than a year in order to effect this outcome.
I think that it's going to absolutely a blood bath. We're going to get killed in in 22. And we'll damn lucky to retain presidency in 24. IMO, our biggest problem is that we don't listen to what voters want and we seek to evict the moderates. Our problem isn't Manchin or Sinema. Our problem is that our majority is so tight that the dems have to have every single democrat on board to pass legislation. And it's damn near impossible to meet everyone's agenda. So, the dems bitch moan and whine that we can't get as much as we want. And we blame. Instead, we should cheerfully pass what we can. And seek to increase our base in 22 and then seek more. We need to grow our tent - not kick out the moderates.

Secondly, we aren't listening to the voters. Sorry progressives, but I'm not hearing this great calling for Build Back Better. I'm hearing people incredibly concerned about the economy and inflation. There should be an incredible government effort to today to rein in inflation. Our military is the greatest Logistics group in history. We should divert our military logistics into relieving the logjam of ships held up at the ports. It's insane that container ships can't unload today due to incompetence at the ports. We dramatically increase "inshoring" efforts. Eliminate the Trump tax increases on imports. And etc. I support build back better, although I think that it's too large. But it's not going to lower inflation.

I just think that Democrats need to vote! Where I live, Democrats tend to skip the midterm elections, and a lot of people who would vote for the Democratic Party never vote. For example, a good friend of mine has two middle aged children who never voted until Trump was up for reelection. Somehow, their mom convinced them to vote, but she is highly skeptical that they will vote again. I've spoken to Dems who tell me they only vote in the presidential elections, and I've known some who believe that their vote doesn't count, so they don't vote. This is primarily young to middle aged folks. Older adults like me vote in every fucking election, regardless of how trivial it seems to most people. I'm not sure how one overcomes apathy.

Additionally, imo, Democrats need to learn the art of compromise. They need to work together, and not attack each other.

Finally, let's be honest. Between the recent gerrymandering and the fact that several states with small populations have the same number of Senators as states as large as Texas, Georgia and California, the odds are always stacked against us when it comes to Congressional elections.

So, since you started this thread, what are your solutions for getting out the vote? I have none. I've given up trying to get young people to vote. I'm retired now, but when I worked with a lot of younger folks in low income jobs, I begged them to vote. I was only successful once and then that person "forgot" to vote in the midterms. Meanwhile, my 90+ year old Republican patients always voted. One even voted when she had dementia. Her family took her to vote and. I'm sure they helped her vote. There is no law that says a person with dementia can't vote, but can you imagine what Republicans would say if they knew a Democrat with dementia went to the polls to vote!

Last edited:

I think that it's going to absolutely a blood bath. We're going to get killed in in 22. And we'll damn lucky to retain presidency in 24. IMO, our biggest problem is that we don't listen to what voters want and we seek to evict the moderates.
Absolutely false. The problem is the Democrats are fighting for things the general population does want... but the GOP is so good at selling it as a bad thing.
Our problem isn't Manchin or Sinema. Our problem is that our majority is so tight that the dems have to have every single democrat on board to pass legislation. And it's damn near impossible to meet everyone's agenda. So, the dems bitch moan and whine that we can't get as much as we want. And we blame. Instead, we should cheerfully pass what we can. And seek to increase our base in 22 and then seek more. We need to grow our tent - not kick out the moderates.
All things equal, I think the Dems managed to pass a couple huge bills, by using a newish procedure, colored barely inside the lines to make it happen. That was a success. Yet somehow people are saying it is a failure. Stimulus and infrastructure bill, both popular. The Afghanistan withdrawal was what America wanted, and it is done, early on. There are issues with supply which are slowly improving, and if Omicron fades, the Dems could be in a very good state come November. The economy is very influential for voters, usually. And the GOP wants to blame everything on Biden. Inflation? That is the spending programs by Biden... you know, the one that hasn't gone into effect yet.

Biden is literally seeing the worst (hopefully) part of his administration pass by early. Pandemic related inflation could ease, assuming Omicron doesn't mess things up. Economy warms up, things get better. Afghanistan far passed the in rear view mirror.
Secondly, we aren't listening to the voters.
The Dems are. There is infighting between the Progs and Mods, but the Mods won. And this is ignoring one thing the GOP isn't listening to, Roe v Wade, and I think that might be the largest single issue determinater in November than even the economy!

I think that it's going to absolutely a blood bath. We're going to get killed in in 22. And we'll damn lucky to retain presidency in 24. IMO, our biggest problem is that we don't listen to what voters want and we seek to evict the moderates.
Absolutely false. The problem is the Democrats are fighting for things the general population does want... but the GOP is so good at selling it as a bad thing.
Our problem isn't Manchin or Sinema. Our problem is that our majority is so tight that the dems have to have every single democrat on board to pass legislation. And it's damn near impossible to meet everyone's agenda. So, the dems bitch moan and whine that we can't get as much as we want. And we blame. Instead, we should cheerfully pass what we can. And seek to increase our base in 22 and then seek more. We need to grow our tent - not kick out the moderates.
All things equal, I think the Dems managed to pass a couple huge bills, by using a newish procedure, colored barely inside the lines to make it happen. That was a success. Yet somehow people are saying it is a failure. Stimulus and infrastructure bill, both popular. The Afghanistan withdrawal was what America wanted, and it is done, early on. There are issues with supply which are slowly improving, and if Omicron fades, the Dems could be in a very good state come November. The economy is very influential for voters, usually. And the GOP wants to blame everything on Biden. Inflation? That is the spending programs by Biden... you know, the one that hasn't gone into effect yet.

Biden is literally seeing the worst (hopefully) part of his administration pass by early. Pandemic related inflation could ease, assuming Omicron doesn't mess things up. Economy warms up, things get better. Afghanistan far passed the in rear view mirror.
Secondly, we aren't listening to the voters.
The Dems are. There is infighting between the Progs and Mods, but the Mods won. And this is ignoring one thing the GOP isn't listening to, Roe v Wade, and I think that might be the largest single issue determinater in November than even the economy!
Great point. I agree. I would say that economy remains the largest issue. Bodily autonomy is right up there. I'd also add a sneaker issue: free elections. Trump and many of his minions in the house and senate tried to steal the election. This should be the issue that dems lead with IMO. If roe vs wade is important (body sovereignty); then freedom from a dictator should be incredibly important.

I have a philosophy, regarding politics, based on my own uniquely intersectional background: people need to feel pain before you can ever get them serious about organizing in the defense of their own rights....

Feel pain or anger. Most Americans are much less interested in climate change or even infrastructure than they are in pressing concerns like their own jobs or the closing of schools. The Democrats need to address issues that the people care about NOW. Instead it's the QOP that is riding on the coat-tails of ordinary Americans' concerns, fears, and anger.
I think that it's going to absolutely a blood bath. We're going to get killed in in 22. And we'll damn lucky to retain presidency in 24. IMO, our biggest problem is that we don't listen to what voters want and we seek to evict the moderates. Our problem isn't Manchin or Sinema. Our problem is that our majority is so tight that the dems have to have every single democrat on board to pass legislation. And it's damn near impossible to meet everyone's agenda. So, the dems bitch moan and whine that we can't get as much as we want. And we blame. Instead, we should cheerfully pass what we can. And seek to increase our base in 22 and then seek more. We need to grow our tent - not kick out the moderates.

Secondly, we aren't listening to the voters. Sorry progressives, but I'm not hearing this great calling for Build Back Better. I'm hearing people incredibly concerned about the economy and inflation. There should be an incredible government effort to today to rein in inflation. Our military is the greatest Logistics group in history. We should divert our military logistics into relieving the logjam of ships held up at the ports. It's insane that container ships can't unload today due to incompetence at the ports. We dramatically increase "inshoring" efforts. Eliminate the Trump tax increases on imports. And etc. I support build back better, although I think that it's too large. But it's not going to lower inflation.
I agree with this. The D's are probably losing in '22 and '24. With QOP then using every means at its disposal to make its rule permanent, future prospects are bleak. The D's only chance is to focus on pressing concerns, and NOT on issues that appeal to intellectuals but turn off ordinary voters. They need to find a way to counter QOP lies with hard-fighting messages of their own.

I mostly agree with Harry Bosch, but am not sure about inflation. Is there a way for the U.S. to use its influence to open the spigots of petroleum in the Middle East? That's a big cause of price hikes. Relieving the supply chain bottlenecks would also be very good. But other than these points I doubt whether a general attack on inflation would be wise at this time, especially since this inflation bout may be short-lived. In order to keep the economy on course and voters happy I think we want wage hikes and low interest rates — just the opposite of what serious inflation-fighting would entail.

The pandemic (Omicron and whatever follows), its impact on the economy, the economy itself will have a huge part in the election and we simply can't tell where things stand yet. Roe v Wade would be the wild wild card. Who knows, if all the pro-birth movement gets is a retraction on the timeline for legal abortion, they might just not bother to vote or they might get energized!

Predicting the election in 2022 is utterly impossible. It is far less known than who'll be in the Super Bowl.

The pandemic (Omicron and whatever follows), its impact on the economy, the economy itself will have a huge part in the election and we simply can't tell where things stand yet. Roe v Wade would be the wild wild card. Who knows, if all the pro-birth movement gets is a retraction on the timeline for legal abortion, they might just not bother to vote or they might get energized!

Predicting the election in 2022 is utterly impossible. It is far less known than who'll be in the Super Bowl.
I agree that it's too early to predict the election outcome, but I have friends who have already given up. Of course, they will vote but they don't feel as if we have a chance. In Georgia, the Repugs have already taken away the seat of Lucy McBath by gerrymandering her district. She may run in a different district, but we are still almost guaranteed to lose at least one Dem seat. Interestingly enough, some liberal areas have been added to MTG's district which she is already bitching about and there is a moderate Democrat who says he's going to run against Greene. He's a Black guy with military experience. He sounds good to me, but it's hard to imagine that he can win in that district, even with the addition of some liberal areas. No progressive Dem has a chance in the more moderate or conservative districts in Georgia. The US is a centrist country, so it's a hard sell to move Dems more to the left. It needs to be done carefully. I despise that some of the so called squad voted against the Infrastructure Bill. WTF were they thinking? The infrastructure bill was a great accomplishment, but without 17 Republicans, it would have been defeated. It's good that it was bipartisan, but it disappoints me that the more progressive members wouldn't vote for it because they didn't get the other bill passed yet. That's just foolish.

Hopefully, Warnock will be able to keep his seat, but he's already being demonized as a radical or a communist by his opponents. Again, it all depends on turnout. Perhaps if Stacey Abrams runs for our governor again, it will motivate more Dems to go out and vote, as she is extremely popular among Democrats. On the other hand, Republicans already have an anti-Stacey fund going on, and she hasn't even if said she will run. She is the most brilliant, pragmatic, progressive I've ever known, but the Republicans are trying to paint her as a scary communist. The fact is that she worked with Republicans to get things done when she was in the Georgia Congress. Of course, Repugs will never admit that they respected her back then, as all they do now is tell lies about the Democrats in Georgia.

And, while it's a bit off topic, I'd be more worried about SCOTUS, which now has 6 conservatives, when it comes to the rights of LGBTQIAA, and other minorities, than I would be about who wins the next election. You must know that conservatives are likely to try and bring all kinds of things that they don't like, to SCOTUS. 3 of those conservative judges are downright scary, when it comes to civil rights, as well as SCS issues. What's it gonna take to change this?

Stacey Abrams just announced she is running for governor of Georgia again! I'm pumped. Maybe there is hope in the Georgia midterms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/01/us/politics/stacey-abrams-georgia-governor.html

Stacey Abrams, the Georgia Democrat and former candidate for governor of the state who built a national profile as a voting rights advocate, announced on Wednesday that she would run again for governor in 2022, setting up a high-profile clash in next year’s elections.
“I’m running for Governor because opportunity in our state shouldn’t be determined by ZIP code, background or access to power,” Ms. Abrams said in a tweet, which was accompanied by an announcement video with the slogan “One Georgia.”
If her campaign is successful, Ms. Abrams would become the first Black governor of Georgia and the first Black woman to serve as governor of any state. In 2018, Ms. Abrams, a former minority leader of the Georgia House of Representatives, lost to Brian Kemp, a Republican, by about 55,000 votes.
The decision from Ms. Abrams, who has come to embody the state’s changing racial and political makeup and was previously considered to be President Biden’s running mate, sets up a likely rematch with Governor Kemp, who has already announced his campaign for a second term.

Containers sitting at the ports of LA and Long Beach are down 37% since $100 per day fees were threatened. They've consistently postponed those fees as aging containers have been moving out. I guess all they had to do was raise the stick, not actually use it. So, that should help with the inflation pressures on goods.
Ports of LA and Long Beach
Oil production in the Permian Basin is set to pass pre-pandemic levels this months. The Bakkan looks to be a little harder to make the easy money and some are choosing to pay out dividends rather than sink more expensive wells.
Permian Basin & Bakken Oilfield. Can't imagine Biden has much juice with OPEC+ (no relation to Apple+ or Disney+). We need more charging stations.
We need whatever immediate relief the BBB will provide whenever it's finally hashed out. Stuff on the horizon isn't going to bring out the vote. The infrastructure plan is great but people will tire of orange barrels real quick.
Hell, I'll vote for whoever can get rid of spam calls and texts. Pass legislation putting some teeth in the Do Not Call List.

Gilded Age II has been continuing since at least 1980, and arguably the late 1970's, and the Republican Party has been the dominant party in it. The Democratic Party has been the opposition party; the US has no other significant political parties.

Before that was the New Deal regime, where the Democratic Party was the dominant one, and before that a long period where the Republican Party was the dominant one.

During the New Deal regime, Republican Presidents Eisenhower and Nixon worked within the New Deal paradigm, especially Eisenhower, and the previous Gilded Age II Democratic Presidents, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, have likewise worked in its paradigm, despite starting out with governing trifectas. So there is good reason to be concerned that Joe Biden and the Congressional Democrats might also squander their trifecta.

I think that it's going to absolutely a blood bath. We're going to get killed in in 22. And we'll damn lucky to retain presidency in 24. IMO, our biggest problem is that we don't listen to what voters want and we seek to evict the moderates. ...
Who's doing that?

The Republicans did surprisingly well in 2020, and I discovered that the Democrats who lost were mostly relatively conservative ones. Hardly any of them endorsed such things as a Green New Deal and Medicare for All.

Let's see how well some of the more progressive Congressmembers did. If they are so scary to the voters in their districts, they would have lasted only one term. Here is how they did in the primaries:
  • AOC: 2018 56.7% inc. Joe Crowley 43.3% -- 2020 74.4% Michelle Caruso-Cabrera 18.1% Badrun Khan 5.0%
  • Ayanna Pressley: 2018 58.6% inc. Michael Capuano 41.4% -- 2020 no Democratic challenger
  • Rashida Tlaib: 2018 31.2% Brenda Jones 30.2% others 14.1% 12.5% 6.6% 5.4% -- 2020 66.3% Brenda Jones 33.7%
  • Ilhan Omar: 2018 48.2% others 30.4% 13.2% 3.7% 2.8% 1.8% -- 2020 58.2% Antone Melton-Meaux 38.5% others 1.5% 1.1% 0.7%
Yes, AOC, a Latin American woman with a hyphenated name, was up against a Latin American woman with a hyphenated name.

Back
Top Bottom