• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Demystifying Determinism

Marvin Edwards

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
What does "determinism" look like, anyway?

It's morning and you're awake. You get up, make the bed, and have a shower. You look in the closet and choose from several possibilities what you will wear this morning. Then you go to the kitchen to see what's available for breakfast. There are several options: pancakes, cereal, eggs, etc. You had eggs yesterday and the day before, so you decide to fix pancakes this morning. After breakfast you head off to work.

Yes. That is exactly what determinism looks like. It is not ominous, and it is certainly not in any way "profound". It is just a series of events, where one event leads to the next, in an orderly and reliably fashion. Among these events you may have noticed yourself, making choices as to what you will wear to work and what you will eat for breakfast. That is known as free will. And it is right there among all the other daily events. And, like the physical events, your mental events will also proceed in a orderly and reliable fashion, one thought or feeling leading to the next.

You may be distracted by interruptions, of course. But even the interruptions will follow from a reliable series of prior events, which happen to bump into your own plans in a reliable fashion, even if they are unpredictable to you.

All of the "dire", "ominous", or "profound" consequences attributed to determinism constitute a complex mythology of false beliefs. For example, determinism is not some agency that plans out your life and makes all your choices for you. That's still entirely up to you. Determinism simply asserts that your behavior, as well as the behavior of all the other objects and forces in the universe, will follow from prior events (including your own prior behavior) such that, even while they are totally unpredictable in any practical sense, they are theoretically predictable if you had perfect knowledge of all of the events in play at that time. But, of course, no one has such perfect knowledge, so, determinism is basically a meaningless and irrelevant consideration in all matters of human experience.

Very well said, Marvin. Odd, that this thread has not taken off.

Repetition. We've had multiple threads dealing with the subject matter. Some were merged into the compatibilism thread, which obviously deals with determinism. No need for more.

Repetition. We've had multiple threads dealing with the subject matter. Some were merged into the compatibilism thread, which obviously deals with determinism. No need for more.
Well yeah, but...

Golly, what a comundrum.

Am I predetermined to have Cheerios for breakfast whEn I have Cheerios? If I want to test determinism andI choose nto eat anything, but maybe that is predermined.

Wow, what a headache. It could drive a man to drink, but maybe hat is predetermined.

Golly, what a conundrum.

Am I predetermined to have Cheerios for breakfast when I have Cheerios? If I want to test determinism and I choose not eat anything, but maybe that is predetermined.

Wow, what a headache. It could drive a man to drink, but maybe that is predetermined.

The correct resolution to your conundrum is that determinism doesn't actually change anything. What you will inevitably do is exactly identical to you just being you, doing whatever you choose to do. It is basically "what you would have done anyway".

Causal necessity is not a meaningful or relevant constraint. It never prevents you from doing what you want or from controlling what you do by your own choices. After all, it was causally necessary that it would be just so.

And that's the point.

By the way, within the domain of human influence, the single inevitable future will be chosen, by us, from among the many possible futures that we will imagine. The future is up to you. (Apparently, it was predetermined that it would be just so).

Determinismto me in the end is counter to 'doing what you want to'.

I take cuasality to be axiomatic, nothing happens without a cause. However that does not answer the question of whether or not cohices made by por barins are predetrmined.

A causal effect can be deterministic or probabilistic. Drop and object and itss according to g. A deterministic calculation. Radictve dcay od f particles at least to us is probabilistic.

Given a set of circumstances are he choice and actions of a human deterministic or probabilistic?

From the first line of the link our choices are detremimistic, the result of physical causalities. Whether it is predermined based on a prior states is not experimentally testable.

Is there an inherent uncertainty to how our brains work?

Determinism is the philosophical view that all events are determined completely by previously existing causes. Deterministic theories throughout the history of philosophy have sprung from diverse and sometimes overlapping motives and considerations. The opposite of determinism is some kind of indeterminism (otherwise called nondeterminism) or randomness. Determinism is often contrasted with free will, although some philosophers claim that the two are compatible.[1][2]

Determinism often is taken to mean causal determinism, which in physics is known as cause-and-effect. It is the concept that events within a given paradigm are bound by causality in such a way that any state (of an object or event) is completely determined by prior states. This meaning can be distinguished from other varieties of determinism mentioned below.

Other debates often concern the scope of determined systems, with some maintaining that the entire universe is a single determinate system and others identifying other more limited determinate systems (or multiverse). Numerous historical debates involve many philosophical positions and varieties of determinism. They include debates concerning determinism and free will, technically denoted as compatibilistic (allowing the two to coexist) and incompatibilistic (denying their coexistence is a possibility).

Determinism should not be confused with self-determination of human actions by reasons, motives, and desires. Determinism is about interactions which affect our cognitive processes in our life.[3] It is about the cause and the result of what we have done in our life. Cause and result are always bounded together in our cognitive processes. It assumes that if an observer has sufficient information about an object or human being, that such an observer might be able to predict every consequent move of that object or human being. Determinism rarely requires that perfect prediction be practically possible.

Determinism to me in the end is counter to 'doing what you want to'.

Well, as the Rolling Stones say, "you can't always get what you want". But it will not be determinism that prevents you from doing so. It will be some specific causes that constrain you. For example, you might want to climb mount Everest, but lack the time and money for such an excursion, and there are many other things you would rather do instead.

But determinism is not an actor. Determinism simply asserts that there will be reasons why you will make the choices you make. It cannot make those choices for you.

I take causality to be axiomatic, nothing happens without a cause.

That seems to be a reasonable conclusion. Not just reasonable, but also hopeful. The belief that there is a cause can motivate us to seek out that cause, and perhaps even control it. For example, knowing that covid-19 is caused by a virus, and knowing that the body's immune system can be primed to fight that virus by vaccination, has given us control over the spread and the effects of certain strains of that covid-19.

So, if something is reliably caused, then it might be reliably controlled.

However that does not answer the question of whether or not choices made by our brains are predetermined.

It depends what you mean by "predetermined". A reliably caused event may be theoretically predicted in advance, but no event is ever caused to happen in advance. If events were to happen in advance we would have a pile up of events happening before they are due.

No event will ever happen until its final prior causes have played themselves out. For example, your choices will not happen until you actually make them happen by your own choosing. Your choosing to write your comment must have happened before you actually wrote it. Without your choosing to write it, it would not be written.

A causal effect can be deterministic or probabilistic. Drop an object and it is according to gravity. A deterministic calculation. Radioactive decay of particles at least to us is probabilistic.

Probability is a method of dealing with unpredictability. The underlying causation may be perfectly deterministic, but still remain unpredictable to us in any practical sense. The weather is difficult to predict without using probability, for example, there may be a 40% chance of rain tomorrow. We believe we know all the variables that cause rain to fall, but we still do not know the state of those variables in a given location with 100% accuracy.

Given a set of circumstances are the choice and actions of a human deterministic or probabilistic?

Yes. Like the weather, we may assume that human behavior is both reliably caused, but still not reliably predictable. So, we may instead calculate the odds that a person will choose to do one thing rather than another.

From the first line of the link our choices are deterministic, the result of physical causalities.

Human behavior cannot be explained totally (or usefully) in terms of physical causation alone. People have reasons that cause them to do things. So, to predict their behavior you need to know what they are thinking, what their beliefs and values are, what their genetic dispositions and prior life experiences have taught them, and how they think and feel about things.

As neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga points out:
Are we just a fancier and more ingenious animal snorting around for our dinner? Sure, we are vastly more complicated than a bee. Although we both have automatic responses, we humans have cognition and beliefs of all kinds, and the possession of a belief trumps all the automatic biological process and hardware, honed by evolution, that got us to this place. Possession of a belief, though a false one, drove Othello to kill his beloved wife, and Sidney Carton to declare, as he voluntarily took his friend’s place at the guillotine, that it was a far, far better thing he did than he had ever done.

Gazzaniga, Michael S.. Who's in Charge?: Free Will and the Science of the Brain (pp. 2-3). HarperCollins. Kindle Edition.

Whether it is predetermined based on a prior states is not experimentally testable.

Psychologists and neuroscientists conduct many experiments involving human behavior and how people's brains work. So, it is experimentally testable in many ways. The idea that current mental states are caused by prior mental states would seem a reasonable assumption.

Is there an inherent uncertainty to how our brains work?

Of course.

Determinism is the philosophical view that all events are determined completely by previously existing causes. Deterministic theories throughout the history of philosophy have sprung from diverse and sometimes overlapping motives and considerations. The opposite of determinism is some kind of indeterminism (otherwise called nondeterminism) or randomness. Determinism is often contrasted with free will, although some philosophers claim that the two are compatible.[1][2]

Determinism often is taken to mean causal determinism, which in physics is known as cause-and-effect. It is the concept that events within a given paradigm are bound by causality in such a way that any state (of an object or event) is completely determined by prior states. This meaning can be distinguished from other varieties of determinism mentioned below.

Other debates often concern the scope of determined systems, with some maintaining that the entire universe is a single determinate system and others identifying other more limited determinate systems (or multiverse). Numerous historical debates involve many philosophical positions and varieties of determinism. They include debates concerning determinism and free will, technically denoted as compatibilistic (allowing the two to coexist) and incompatibilistic (denying their coexistence is a possibility).

Determinism should not be confused with self-determination of human actions by reasons, motives, and desires. Determinism is about interactions which affect our cognitive processes in our life.[3] It is about the cause and the result of what we have done in our life. Cause and result are always bounded together in our cognitive processes. It assumes that if an observer has sufficient information about an object or human being, that such an observer might be able to predict every consequent move of that object or human being. Determinism rarely requires that perfect prediction be practically possible.

You may also find this article on causal determinism helpful: Determinism: What's Wrong and How to Fix It

Well, here is where we depart.

Unless you invoke a kind of mind separate from body then the only explanation of human behavior is how the brain works.

The old pre science philosophical view is mind as some kind of independent reality unto itself. Metaphysics, ie thought forms as reality.

Science as in biology, genetics, and neuroscience is anathema to the old philosophy and metaphysics.

Are neurons deterministic or probabilistic? Do neocons respond identically with the same inputs or is there an inherent uncertainty? Is there 'noise' in the neural system that affects thresholds?

There arer anlogs to electronic systems and activation thresholds. All electronics are probabilistic based in quantum mechanics and existence of noise.

Given a design and set of conditions a system will not respond the exact same way for repeated inputs of the same kind.

For us humans heat, cold, and stress affects decsion making. Same with fear, anciety, sexual stimulation ovwerridng reason.

So, I would say us humans given the same decion to make can and do respond differently based on multiple factors. You could interet that is some ways as free will but I would not.

I woud say I am demystifying determinism withj science.

Unless you invoke a kind of mind separate from body then the only explanation of human behavior is how the brain works.

I never separate the mind from the brain. The mind is a physical process running upon the neural hardware. The brain organizes sensory data into a symbolic model of reality consisting of objects, events, thoughts, feelings, etc. The brain is not large enough or smart enough to track its own neural activity. But the product of that neural activity, our imagination, our calculations, our thoughts, our feelings, our choices, are the only way that the brain itself can describe itself to itself.

Are neurons deterministic or probabilistic? Do neurons respond identically with the same inputs or is there an inherent uncertainty? Is there 'noise' in the neural system that affects thresholds?

I would suppose so. There is physical, biological, and rational causation. Hit a brain with a baseball bat and it will perform differently, due to physical causation and biological injury. That will likely produce altered thoughts and feelings, at least temporarily until the injury heals. Snort cocaine or inject heroin and the chemical reactions will be modified.

There are analogs to electronic systems and activation thresholds. All electronics are probabilistic based in quantum mechanics and existence of noise.

Sure. And the mind is easily distracted, especially when it is tired or sleepy.

Given a design and set of conditions a system will not respond the exact same way for repeated inputs of the same kind.
For us humans heat, cold, and stress affects decision making. Same with fear, anxiety, sexual stimulation overriding reason.
So, I would say us humans given the same decision to make can and do respond differently based on multiple factors.

Of course.

You could interpret that is some ways as free will but I would not.

Freedom requires the ability to control what your actions cause. To control what your actions cause requires that the results of your actions are predictable. To be predictable, the causes and their effects must be reliable.

Increasing randomness will decrease predictability, which decreases control, which decreases freedom. Do you see it?

I would say I am demystifying determinism with science.

I would say that I am doing the same.

Go to the whiteboard and write 1000 times

'It is all in my brain ,It is all in my brain. It is all in my brain...'

Are some phenomena UNCAUSED?

Quantum Mechanics, Randomness, Uncertainty

Maybe this too has been beaten to death somewhere and has been totally answered. But I'm too lazy to do the 2- or 3-hour search to find it, so:

There are some claims, supposedly from Quantum Mechanics physicists, that certain observable events at the sub-atomic level happen without being caused by anything. Whenever I hear someone say this, they fail to explain what is special about these sub-atomic events that they would be different than the normal "macro" events we see happening around us in our normal experience and which are all caused by something (whether we know the cause or not). Here's one statement of this:

Quantum mechanics defies causal order, experiment confirms

11 Sep 2018 Hamish Johnston

An experiment has confirmed that quantum mechanics allows events to occur with no definite causal order. The work has been carried out by Jacqui Romero, Fabio Costa and colleagues at the University of Queensland in Australia, who say that gaining a better understanding of this indefinite causal order could offer a route towards a theory that combines Einstein’s general theory of relativity with quantum mechanics

In classical physics – and everyday life – there is a strict causal relationship between consecutive events. If a second event (B) happens after a first event (A), for example, then B cannot affect the outcome of A. This relationship, however, breaks down in quantum mechanics because the temporal spread of a particles’s wave function can be greater than the separation in time between A and B. This means that the causal order of A and B cannot be always be distinguished by a quantum particle such as a photon.

This seems to mean that the researchers are unable to distinguish between A and B. So, in order to identify the "B" (effect) they must distinguish it from the "A" (cause). I.e., they can't identify the "separation" of the two, and the "causal order" (earlier vs. later?) or time sequence cannot be identified.

If that's the meaning, then why can't they just say it's impossible (with present technology) to identify the cause, or distinguish A from B, and so they just cannot determine the cause? That's not the same as saying there is no cause. It's just saying there's one more phenomenon in the universe which cannot be explained. -- or, the cause of it cannot be determined.

In their experiment, Romero, Costa and colleagues created a “quantum switch”, in which photons can take two paths. One path involves being subjected to operation A before operation B, while in the other path B occurs before A. The order in which the operations are performed is determined by the initial polarization of the photon as it enters the switch.

The experiment involves using a polarizing beam splitter, which sends photons of different polarizations along different paths. The photon source is diagonally polarized with respect to the beam splitter, which means that there is a 50% chance that a photon will take either route.

Out of order​

The two paths are then recombined, and the polarization of the photons are measured. The operations A and B are designed such that the order in which they are applied to the photons affects the polarization of the output photons – if the system has definite causality.

Putting quantum noise to work

The team did the experiment using several different types of operation for A and B and in all cases they found that the measured polarization of the output photons was consistent with their being no definite causal order between when A and B was applied. Indeed, the measurements backed indefinite causal order to a whopping statistical significance of 18σ – well beyond the 5σ threshold that is considered a discovery in physics.

So, maybe they discovered something about the behavior of these photons, how they behave unpredictably when they are sent along these different paths. The "indefinite causal order" is itself just another phenomenon they observed and for which they don't know the cause. What has happened is that something caused them to behave in this seemingly random fashion which the observers cannot explain. With further research, over another 100 years or so, maybe some new results will be observed which will answer the question of what caused this.

As well as making an experimental connection between relativity and quantum mechanics, the researchers point out that their quantum switch could find use in quantum technologies. “This is just a first proof of principle, but on a larger scale indefinite causal order can have real practical applications, like making computers more efficient or improving communication,” says Costa.

Saying this itself is really an admission that something caused the "randomness" phenomenon that they have discovered. By reproducing this randomness in certain ways, it can be put to some practical use, by applying this "indefinite causal order" to a practical need and using it to produce desirable outcomes. How can any such outcome as this be a claim that something happened without being caused? Obviously this is just one more example of cause-and-effect where some kind of causing factors are determined, even though others are not determined. It doesn't mean that anything uncaused happened, but only that some events which cannot be explained can still be put to use, by causing them to happen in a way that they can be applied to a practical need. And yet at the same time these events have an unexplained element to them which is not understood.

Do scientists really understand how electrons function? or why they behave as they do? Maybe some actually understand it, and yet many technicians don't understand it while also they put the electrons to use in cables or devices, so we can see how many unexplained phenomena can be put to practical use, because it's possible to produce those phenomena in some way even though their cause is not known.

The research is described in Physical Review Letters.

I suppose there's a better presentation of the theory than this one. But I'm skeptical that any of the explainers have really proved that there are some phenomena they observed which have no cause.

Am I wrong and no one has ever said such a thing (something happens without having any cause)? Did I misinterpret this "Uncertainty Principle" or "Randomness" claim? Maybe everyone does agree that every observable event does have a cause. And the "randomness" or "uncertainty" principle has never contradicted the traditional premise of cause-and-effect. But I could swear I've heard them claim that modern "quantum" theory has come up with proof that there are some uncaused events at the subatomic level. I.e., that something has been observed which behaved in such a way that could not have been caused by anything.

The theory (something happens without being caused) is said to be proved by some kind of empirical experimentation, and jargon like "randomness" and "uncertainty principle" etc. is tossed around. But jargon is not sufficient to prove it. It's a "big universe" -- there are obviously an infinite array of events, big and small, which are not explained and may never be explained, and when such a thing is encountered, one can easily just throw up their hands and proclaim: this is one of those "random" events which has no cause.

Why? How do they know it has no cause, however finite and miniscule and subatomic it may be?

The only excuse for putting these subatomic events into such a special category is the claim that there is no way to analyze these events, or observe them and measure them, without distorting their behavior in some way -- because the observation or measurement per se changes the behavior, so that we can never know how they would behave if we had not interfered with them by doing our observing and measuring.

This seems to be the only reason for claiming that such phenomena have no cause, and cannot have ever been caused by anything.

They can't seem to explain it beyond this. They can't explain how they know there's no cause, and why it's not just another case of a phenomenon for which they don't know the cause.

They are refuted by either of 2 possibilities: 1) possibly there are some events for which it is impossible to determine the cause, ever, or 2) there are events for which they cannot determine the cause at this time, without better methods of observation and measurement, but for which later it will be possible to determine the cause.

There seems to be an ideologically-based impulse for saying there is no cause, in these cases, rather than a science-based principle. How can anyone but an ideologue declare that a certain event can't have a cause?

We all assume any event we see was caused by something. We can't live our lives without this premise. It falls into the category Immanuel Kant labeled as an "a priori" empirical truth, like space and time are empirical truths we know and assume all the time and without which we cannot live or act, or think anything or do anything. Without these truths we know, it's even impossible for us to say anything or think anything about science or facts or the world or existence. To even say "there is" or "there is not" a cause is impossible without assuming the basic empirical truths, including the truth that there is a cause for every phenomenon, however ignorant of it we are.

Last edited:
I find the proposition that one may not be found in and of and among their brain, existing as a mathematical relationship of it's pieces, a ridiculously stupid notion.

It equates to "despite the fact that I think, I am not."

It is nonsense and contradiction in the most fundamental and basic parts of oneself.

If you can believe that you "are not", you can believe any stupid or nonsensical thing, accept any stupid and nonsensical action, reject any sensible principle, hold any nonsensical notion.

Think. What had that thought? You or the brain? The answer is obvious. The only thing that has and is connected to components, the brain. You? You are imagined, by ..... the brain.
Well, I'm not "imaginary". I am actually part of my brain's "model" of reality. My brain observes my fingers typing on the keyboard and the text appearing in the comment box, and it knows that this is me, and that I and my brain are one at this moment. My brain, doing this typing, is also me, doing this typing. The thoughts it is having are the same thoughts that I am having.

And when my brain decided that it would be better to order the salad rather than the steak for dinner, it was I, my self, that told the waiter, "I will have the Chef Salad, please".

And when the waiter brought my salad, he did not attempt to stuff it in my ear to feed it directly to my brain, but rather set it there on the table in front of me. And it was I who enjoyed the salad, and it was I who responsibly paid for my dinner.

In other words, "I think, therefore I am" my brain.

One of the odd notions we've heard is that "the self is an illusion". But if the self is an illusion, then who is having this illusion?

Think. What had that thought? You or the brain? The answer is obvious. The only thing that has and is connected to components, the brain. You? You are imagined, by ..... the brain.
Think, what remitted a false dichotomy? FDI's hands or FDI's brain or FDI's internet connection or FDI? The answer can be all of the above, FDI, as a section of FDI's brain sent a signal to FDI's hands sent a signal down FDI's internet connection.

You are not imagined by your brain FDI, you are your brain, a very specific part of it. You are instantiated, not imagined, by it.

Get over it so we can stop having this stupid conversation please?

• Love
Reactions: WAB
Think, what remitted a false dichotomy? FDI's hands or FDI's brain or FDI's internet connection or FDI? The answer can be all of the above, FDI, as a section of FDI's brain sent a signal to FDI's hands sent a signal down FDI's internet connection.

You are not imagined by your brain FDI, you are your brain, a very specific part of it. You are instantiated, not imagined, by it.

Get over it so we can stop having this stupid conversation please?
We're not having this conversation. You are.

I'm just the substance you purport to deny.

Well, I'm not "imaginary". I am actually part of my brain's "model" of reality. My brain observes my fingers typing on the keyboard and the text appearing in the comment box, and it knows that this is me, and that I and my brain are one at this moment. My brain, doing this typing, is also me, doing this typing. The thoughts it is having are the same thoughts that I am having.

And when my brain decided that it would be better to order the salad rather than the steak for dinner, it was I, my self, that told the waiter, "I will have the Chef Salad, please".

And when the waiter brought my salad, he did not attempt to stuff it in my ear to feed it directly to my brain, but rather set it there on the table in front of me. And it was I who enjoyed the salad, and it was I who responsibly paid for my dinner.

In other words, "I think, therefore I am" my brain.

One of the odd notions we've heard is that "the self is an illusion". But if the self is an illusion, then who is having this illusion?
Thanks for the stomp foot proof Of my assertion.

Back
Top Bottom