• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Did Darwin know about genes?

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
So I am trying to get a better grip on some of the basics of biology and evolution 101 and a big picture of how the theory came to be, and have plenty of misunderstandings to cut through. Please forgive my ignorant question. How familiar was Darwin (and even Wallace, who simultaneously uncovered evolution via natural selection but did not have the publicity of Darwin) with genetics? Did either of them know anything about genes? Had the scientific community, at that time, already discovered genes in particular or were they an unknown entity? Did all of the understanding of genetics come afterwards? Darwin uncovered descent with modification, and the impact of favorable versus unfavorable traits, without knowing anything about genes?

Thanks.

Nope! Mendel and Darwin were contemporaries, but Mendel's work was not recognized by the world at large until much later. Mendel also knew little more about the mechanism of genetic exchange than anyone else in his time; the technology to actually observe DNA, etc, would not exist until the next century. Darwin did suspect something akin to genes, ie. some physical property intermixing at time of conception resulting in an inheritance of certain traits, but little was known about them. He even calls these "gemmules" at one point, but was completely wrong about how they worked. I would heartily recommend reading Origin of the Species for yourself if you have not, it is not terribly long and the author gives a very full explanation of his reasoning. But essentially, his theories were derived from his observations of living organisms, not the molecular science that would later come to typify the conversation. The popular definition of evolution as a change in allele frequency over time was many, many decades in the future.

Genes were not yet known about at the time but uncle Chuck did postulate that there was something in the cells that passed the traits of the parents to their offspring.

I just cheated a bit and found this that may interest you and answer your question better.
https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/charles-darwins-theory-pangenesis

In 1868 in England, Charles Darwin proposed his pangenesis theory to describe the units of inheritance between parents and offspring and the processes by which those units control development in offspring. Darwin coined the concept of gemmules, which he said referred to hypothesized minute particles of inheritance thrown off by all cells of the body. The theory suggested that an organism's environment could modify the gemmules in any parts of the body, and that these modified gemmules would congregate in the reproductive organs of parents to be passed on to their offspring. Darwin's theory of pangenesis gradually lost popularity in the 1890s when biologists increasingly abandoned the theory of inheritance of acquired characteristics (IAC), on which the pangenesis theory partially relied. Around the turn of the twentieth century, biologists replaced the theory of pangenesis with germ plasm theory and then with chromosomal theories of inheritance, and they replaced the concept of gemmules with that of genes.

... snip ...

Charles Darwin had as good an understanding of heredity as anyone might have in his time. There were various models of heredity at the time, but all were based on empirical observation. This meant heredity was treated much like gravity or magnetism. It could be observed and measured, but there was no satisfactory explanation of the mechanism by which it worked.

Charles Darwin had as good an understanding of heredity as anyone might have in his time. There were various models of heredity at the time, but all were based on empirical observation. This meant heredity was treated much like gravity or magnetism. It could be observed and measured, but there was no satisfactory explanation of the mechanism by which it worked.

Magnetism works by the exchange of photons.

IIRC, Mendel sent Darwin his findings, but Darwin never responded, and Mendel's papers were found amongs Darwin's after his death. Whether he reviewed them or not is not known. It wasn’t until after Mendel's death that his work came to renown, around the turn of the century. So Darwin May have known about the work, but never appreciated it.

I believe this was taught to me in my freshman biology course, but that was forty years ago so my memory may be a bit rusted.

SLD

Then how do magnets work in the dark?

IIRC, Mendel sent Darwin his findings, but Darwin never responded, and Mendel's papers were found amongs Darwin's after his death. Whether he reviewed them or not is not known. It wasn’t until after Mendel's death that his work came to renown, around the turn of the century. So Darwin May have known about the work, but never appreciated it.

I believe this was taught to me in my freshman biology course, but that was forty years ago so my memory may be a bit rusted.

SLD

I'd never heard that! Kind of funny if true.

SLD

I'd never heard that! Kind of funny if true.

https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/102/8/587/1598792

This article says it’s unclear whether Darwin was aware of Mendel's work. Mendel sent his published paper to scientists all over Europe and as an admirer of Darwin, he should have sent one to Darwin. However no record exists of the document being found amongst his papers. Still Darwin was in regular communication with numerous scientists throughout Europe during this time. He did provide a colleague with a book that discussed Mendel's work. So maybe he was vaguely aware of it. However he was clinging too hard to the blended theory of inheritance, and would’ve been turned off by Mendel’s mathematical reasoning.

SLD

So I am trying to get a better grip on some of the basics of biology and evolution 101 and a big picture of how the theory came to be, and have plenty of misunderstandings to cut through. Please forgive my ignorant question. How familiar was Darwin (and even Wallace, who simultaneously uncovered evolution via natural selection but did not have the publicity of Darwin) with genetics? Did either of them know anything about genes? Had the scientific community, at that time, already discovered genes in particular or were they an unknown entity? Did all of the understanding of genetics come afterwards? Darwin uncovered descent with modification, and the impact of favorable versus unfavorable traits, without knowing anything about genes?

Thanks.
Others have addressed this, I would just add that you might find the Modern Synthesis interesting and relevant.

Peez

Then how do magnets work in the dark?

wrong question... how can it be dark around a working magnet? fify.

Well Darwin died in 1882, in England, and Levi Strauss and Jacob W. Davis took out the first patent for riveted denim work-wear only nine years earlier in the USA, so it is possible, but given the state of international communications at the time, unlikely that Darwin heard about them before his death.

Also, it's usually spelled with a 'J'.

Well Darwin died in 1882, in England, and Levi Strauss and Jacob W. Davis took out the first patent for riveted denim work-wear only nine years earlier in the USA, so it is possible, but given the state of international communications at the time, unlikely that Darwin heard about them before his death.

Also, it's usually spelled with a 'J'.

Yeah.

Besides the snarky answer is black light.

Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Evolution is change in the heritable characteristics of biological populations over successive generations.[1][2] These characteristics are the expressions of genes that are passed on from parent to offspring during reproduction. Different characteristics tend to exist within any given population as a result of mutation, genetic recombination and other sources of genetic variation.[3] Evolution occurs when evolutionary processes such as natural selection (including sexual selection) and genetic drift act on this variation, resulting in certain characteristics becoming more common or rare within a population.[4] It is this process of evolution that has given rise to biodiversity at every level of biological organisation, including the levels of species, individual organisms and molecules.[5][6]

The scientific theory of evolution by natural selection was proposed by Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace in the mid-19th century and was set out in detail in Darwin's book On the Origin of Species (1859).[7] Evolution by natural selection was first demonstrated by the observation that more offspring are often produced than can possibly survive. This is followed by three observable facts about living organisms: 1) traits vary among individuals with respect to their morphology, physiology and behaviour (phenotypic variation), 2) different traits confer different rates of survival and reproduction (differential fitness) and 3) traits can be passed from generation to generation (heritability of fitness).[8] Thus, in successive generations members of a population are more likely to be replaced by the progenies of parents with favourable characteristics that have enabled them to survive and reproduce in their respective environments. In the early 20th century, other competing ideas of evolution such as mutationism and orthogenesis were refuted as the modern synthesis reconciled Darwinian evolution with classical genetics, which established adaptive evolution as being caused by natural selection acting on Mendelian genetic variation.[9]

All life on Earth shares a last universal common ancestor (LUCA)[10][11][12] that lived approximately 3.5–3.8 billion years ago.[13] The fossil record includes a progression from early biogenic graphite,[14] to microbial mat fossils,[15][16][17] to fossilised multicellular organisms. Existing patterns of biodiversity have been shaped by repeated formations of new species (speciation), changes within species (anagenesis) and loss of species (extinction) throughout the evolutionary history of life on Earth.[18] Morphological and biochemical traits are more similar among species that share a more recent common ancestor, and can be used to reconstruct phylogenetic trees.[19][20]

Evolutionary biologists have continued to study various aspects of evolution by forming and testing hypotheses as well as constructing theories based on evidence from the field or laboratory and on data generated by the methods of mathematical and theoretical biology. Their discoveries have influenced not just the development of biology but numerous other scientific and industrial fields, including agriculture, medicine and computer science.[21]

Classical times

The proposal that one type of organism could descend from another type goes back to some of the first pre-Socratic Greek philosophers, such as Anaximander and Empedocles.[23] Such proposals survived into Roman times. The poet and philosopher Lucretius followed Empedocles in his masterwork De rerum natura (On the Nature of Things).[24][25]

Medieval

In contrast to these materialistic views, Aristotelianism considered all natural things as actualisations of fixed natural possibilities, known as forms.[26][27] This was part of a medieval teleological understanding of nature in which all things have an intended role to play in a divine cosmic order. Variations of this idea became the standard understanding of the Middle Ages and were integrated into Christian learning, but Aristotle did not demand that real types of organisms always correspond one-for-one with exact metaphysical forms and specifically gave examples of how new types of living things could come to be.[28]

Pre-Darwinian

In the 17th century, the new method of modern science rejected the Aristotelian approach. It sought explanations of natural phenomena in terms of physical laws that were the same for all visible things and that did not require the existence of any fixed natural categories or divine cosmic order. However, this new approach was slow to take root in the biological sciences, the last bastion of the concept of fixed natural types. John Ray applied one of the previously more general terms for fixed natural types, "species," to plant and animal types, but he strictly identified each type of living thing as a species and proposed that each species could be defined by the features that perpetuated themselves generation after generation.[29] The biological classification introduced by Carl Linnaeus in 1735 explicitly recognised the hierarchical nature of species relationships, but still viewed species as fixed according to a divine plan.[30]

Other naturalists of this time speculated on the evolutionary change of species over time according to natural laws. In 1751, Pierre Louis Maupertuis wrote of natural modifications occurring during reproduction and accumulating over many generations to produce new species.[31] Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon suggested that species could degenerate into different organisms, and Erasmus Darwin proposed that all warm-blooded animals could have descended from a single microorganism (or "filament").[32] The first full-fledged evolutionary scheme was Jean-Baptiste Lamarck's "transmutation" theory of 1809,[33] which envisaged spontaneous generation continually producing simple forms of life that developed greater complexity in parallel lineages with an inherent progressive tendency, and postulated that on a local level, these lineages adapted to the environment by inheriting changes caused by their use or disuse in parents.[34][35] (The latter process was later called Lamarckism.)[34][36][37][38] These ideas were condemned by established naturalists as speculation lacking empirical support. In particular, Georges Cuvier insisted that species were unrelated and fixed, their similarities reflecting divine design for functional needs. In the meantime, Ray's ideas of benevolent design had been developed by William Paley into the Natural Theology or Evidences of the Existence and Attributes of the Deity (1802), which proposed complex adaptations as evidence of divine design and which was admired by Charles Darwin.[39][40

Darwinian revolution

The crucial break from the concept of constant typological classes or types in biology came with the theory of evolution through natural selection, which was formulated by Charles Darwin in terms of variable populations. Partly influenced by An Essay on the Principle of Population (1798) by Thomas Robert Malthus, Darwin noted that population growth would lead to a "struggle for existence" in which favourable variations prevailed as others perished. In each generation, many offspring fail to survive to an age of reproduction because of limited resources. This could explain the diversity of plants and animals from a common ancestry through the working of natural laws in the same way for all types of organism.[42][43][44][45] Darwin developed his theory of "natural selection" from 1838 onwards and was writing up his "big book" on the subject when Alfred Russel Wallace sent him a version of virtually the same theory in 1858. Their separate papers were presented together at an 1858 meeting of the Linnean Society of London.[46] At the end of 1859, Darwin's publication of his "abstract" as On the Origin of Species explained natural selection in detail and in a way that led to an increasingly wide acceptance of Darwin's concepts of evolution at the expense of alternative theories. Thomas Henry Huxley applied Darwin's ideas to humans, using paleontology and comparative anatomy to provide strong evidence that humans and apes shared a common ancestry. Some were disturbed by this since it implied that humans did not have a special place in the universe.[47]

Back
Top Bottom